Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€30 million for 61 apartments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cairn Homes are obviously happy..... why wouldn't they be!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's in Donnybrook, Dublin 4 - one of the most expensive parcels of land in the country.

I'm actually impressed that there will be social housing units in the development now and that a proper mix of people will be housed there, rather than just shunting the social elements out to the usual dumping grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many people eligible for social housing actually want to live alongside the denizens of D4, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The neighbours paying top dollar might not be too impressed with this move. Can you blame them?

Eh where are you living Anto, oh down the road in Donnybrook Montrose yah bud, it's brill. Rent? what's that, everyone else pays for it for me bar a little bit. Great mixing with the mover iners from all countries. Great mix. Ha ha all those of you who save and buy your own. Why would you bother bro? They are the mugs. LOL.

Anyway, apart from that, it does not seem to be good value for money now, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pure madness.....

Buy property or land on outskirts or he'll let those not working and never will move two or three counties away from the capital.

I've worked since 15 and that's exactly what I had to do in order to get away from renting which was costing a fortune and not letting us save to buy.

Sick of listening to the agh I need to be close to my ma or sister or brother or the babies daddies yada yada....

We actually need to look at actually getting a good deal and saving the tax payer a fortune.

With covid I'm surprised they have the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

So, all the 'Part V' Apts are going to be in one particular Block....
    ....Cairn are probably right now adding 30% on to the selling price of Apts furthest away from this Block ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A Council tenant with their head screwed on could pick that up for 190k after ten years living there

Nice investment

I really really shouldn't have listened to my parents and should have never bothered.....

I'd be housed, med card, fuel allowance, Christmas bonus, ft for public transport and if I were a lucky one be housed along one of the best bus routes to the city, beside a huge hospital and shops and only a short distance from the capital.....

I'm sure I've left out other perks but wow how backwards this country really is and it shows it when you can see those that never worked have at least one car out front and usually more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

500k apartment for 20 quid a week is that how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At least this will hit the property prices in the area :)

This is bonkers, same story in Dundrum. Where’s the incentive for anyone to get off their arse and work?

Yeah, I know, not all social housing is blah blah blah

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    At least this will hit the property prices in the area :)

This is bonkers, same story in Dundrum. Where’s the incentive for anyone to get off their arse and work?

Yeah, I know, not all social housing is blah blah blah

Maggie's new home maybe so she can be close to Miriam and them other moronic attention seekers....

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Totally crazy. 500,000 a unit for social housing!!!

Why do these people need to be in the city centre?? We could build 2 to 3 times the number of units for the same money outside the M50.

How many times does it have to be said...integration doesn't work. Complete separation needed and wanted. We won't be inviting Jacinta around for dinner, never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

€30,000,000?

Be grand, wont take the tenants long to pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The majority are one-bedroom apartments.

The apartments put forward by Cairn are made up of 37 one-bedroom apartments and 24 two bed apartments.

A spokeswoman for Cairn Homes confirmed on Thursday that last year the company sold 133 homes under Part V to local authorities at an average selling price of €224,000 - which translates to a total of €29.79m.

224,000 is an excellent price for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mariaalice wrote: »
    The majority are one-bedroom apartments.

The apartments put forward by Cairn are made up of 37 one-bedroom apartments and 24 two bed apartments.

A spokeswoman for Cairn Homes confirmed on Thursday that last year the company sold 133 homes under Part V to local authorities at an average selling price of €224,000 - which translates to a total of €29.79m.

224,000 is an excellent price for the council.

Different properties to the ones in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

@mariaalice ;But, this thread concerns €30 million for 61 apartments ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Pure madness.....

Buy property or land on outskirts or he'll let those not working and never will move two or three counties away from the capital.

I've worked since 15 and that's exactly what I had to do in order to get away from renting which was costing a fortune and not letting us save to buy.

Sick of listening to the agh I need to be close to my ma or sister or brother or the babies daddies yada yada....

We actually need to look at actually getting a good deal and saving the tax payer a fortune.

With covid I'm surprised they have the money.
    I really really shouldn't have listened to my parents and should have never bothered.....

I'd be housed, med card, fuel allowance, Christmas bonus, ft for public transport and if I were a lucky one be housed along one of the best bus routes to the city, beside a huge hospital and shops and only a short distance from the capital.....

I'm sure I've left out other perks but wow how backwards this country really is and it shows it when you can see those that never worked have at least one car out front and usually more.

Such cliche waffle.

If you are eligible for social housing, where it's allocated and how much similar are in the same area doesn't get to be your decision. That's on the LA working under government policy. Also it's a side effect of the PPP thing.
    More and more working tax payers are becoming in need of state aid and fewer and fewer will be ever able to buy, so get use to it, the numbers will be growing.

The state should be building standard housing and renting it out or selling it at affordable rates.
    As for dem in arrears, they are housed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's in Donnybrook, Dublin 4 - one of the most expensive parcels of land in the country.

I'm actually impressed that there will be social housing units in the development now and that a proper mix of people will be housed there, rather than just shunting the social elements out to the usual dumping grounds.

Why not shunt the social elements out to the usual dumping grounds; where for the same money, the council could house 2 -3 times as many families?

For those who will immediately point out the likely ghettoization, then the answer is to kick out people with anti-social behaviour, even if it makes them homeless. Also, the savings could be used to provide a mix including low-cost affordable housing for lower-paid workers who don't qualify for direct social welfare.

Whilst the 10% mix ideal is admirable, the concept becomes ridiculous once you verge into expensive housing. Imagine a developer building 10 €1m houses in an estate, but one of them has to go to someone on the dole.

Why not shunt the social elements out to the usual dumping grounds; where for the same money, the council could house 2 -3 times as many families?

For those who will immediately point out the likely ghettoization, then the answer is to kick out people with anti-social behaviour, even if it makes them homeless. Also, the savings could be used to provide a mix including low-cost affordable housing for lower-paid workers who don't qualify for direct social welfare.

Whilst the 10% mix ideal is admirable, the concept becomes ridiculous once you verge into expensive housing. Imagine a developer building 10 €1m houses in an estate, but one of them has to go to someone on the dole.

I agree with some of what you say but city living shouldn't be the preserve of the wealthy IMO. Many of these fashionable spots are built over 'regenerated' council estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Maybe someone should whisper in the government's ear that we're a little bit bankrupt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A Council tenant with their head screwed on could pick that up for 190k after ten years living there

Nice investment

I think there is a new system in place, it’s a different setup, I know someone who moved into the development in Dundrum and it’s some 25 year contract. Not sure of the details but from what he said it’s not like the old system.

Bowie wrote: »
    I agree with some of what you say but city living shouldn't be the preserve of the wealthy IMO. Many of these fashionable spots are built over 'regenerated' council estates.

Rte and D4 ain't no council reclaimed lands....

I find it beyond ridiculous that rte which was state owned land should ever have been sold off ...

Yes they need money, but what will they do next year when they need the exact same amount or the year after etc etc.

salmocab wrote: »
    I think there is a new system in place, it’s a different setup, I know someone who moved into the development in Dundrum and it’s some 25 year contract. Not sure of the details but from what he said it’s not like the old system.

Yeah it's going to cost us more and don't forget the management fees, bins etc... Sinking fund also would be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

How many people eligible for social housing actually want to live alongside the denizens of D4, I wonder.

Perhaps you should be more grateful to the people of D4, D6 etc for paying the taxes which finance these homes. A little gratitude please from the welfare class would be nice, for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Perhaps you should be more grateful to the people of D4, D6 etc for paying the taxes which finance these homes. A little gratitude please from the welfare class would be nice, for once.

Only people who live in D4 and D6 have jobs? I live in Blanchardstown and pay the highest rate of tax so contribute the same amount as you. Get over yourself.

You guys do realise that decent working people have bought and live in their own houses all over the city (and the country) and don’t necessarily want social housing being thrown up beside them either? But that’s tough, they get built anyway, crying won’t stop it.

Actually if similar, 25 year lease means the tax payer is locked in to pay rent and after the 25 years I imagine the ownership remains with the private owner/builder. Excellent fiscal conservatism from Fine Gael. A lose lose for both the tax paper and any tenants hoping to buy.
    As long as we don't build foreva homes right lads? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If DCC are clever they will sell these apartments. They can buy 3 bed homes in other areas for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If DCC are clever they will sell these apartments. They can buy 3 bed homes in other areas for less.

Doubt they can

Seems like madness, why do people in social housing need to live a stones throw from town?

Could house double the number of people and still be in commuting distance of town

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The usual to and fro crap talk from the usual suspects

Meanwhile mixing socially provided housing with normal units is common in the continent where a lawyer living next door to a plumber in say Vienna would be fine.

But here in the Cosmopolitan Dublin the snobby gits look down on working people and claim they get everything for quite literally free.

It's boring now lads. Absolutely boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doubt they can

Seems like madness, why do people in social housing need to live a stones throw from town?

Could house double the number of people and still be in commuting distance of town

I'd assume to serve your arse your coffee.

Advertisement