Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleached Trees - Suburb Garden Privacy Solution Required

Options
  • 04-06-2020 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am thinking about getting some pleached trees to plant in front of the back wall of my semi d garden.
    The main reason I want them is to block out the top windows of my neighbors house overlooking my back garden and to give me some privacy.. Added greenery is also a bonus.

Can any recommend a specific type of pleached tree? Some people have mentioned Evergreen Oak but they are around 900 euro each and I need 4 to cover the width of the garden.

My budget could stretch to this but its a big outlay for a tree I am not to familiar with, apparently they are all Italy imports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Beech or holly? They can both be grown tall and used as hedging. Beech has nice autumn colours while holly has nice, red winter berries and is evergreen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Not sure of name but if you live in Dublin I noticed a few nice screens in development on the left in Ranelagh as you go towards the Dodder, there were a few houses that had them up in back gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Usir wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting some pleached trees to plant in front of the back wall of my semi d garden.
    The main reason I want them is to block out the top windows of my neighbors house overlooking my back garden and to give me some privacy.. Added greenery is also a bonus.

Can any recommend a specific type of pleached tree? Some people have mentioned Evergreen Oak but they are around 900 euro each and I need 4 to cover the width of the garden.

My budget could stretch to this but its a big outlay for a tree I am not to familiar with, apparently they are all Italy imports.

I have 4 Evergreen oak pleached trees which I got in Gardenworld in Wicklow for 450 each 2.5 years ago. It was a very good price at the time. Approx 7-8 feet each. By the nature of the preaching, it would be difficult to get a cheap tree given the additional work and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭standardg60

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have 4 Evergreen oak pleached trees which I got in Gardenworld in Wicklow for 450 each 2.5 years ago. It was a very good price at the time. Approx 7-8 feet each. By the nature of the preaching, it would be difficult to get a cheap tree given the additional work and time.

How are they doing?
    I was going to respond to the Op advising against anything evergreen as i've only seen Italian imports struggle to adjust to our 'inconsistent' climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

How are your evergreen oaks now? any pics you can share would be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How are they doing?
    I was going to respond to the Op advising against anything evergreen as i've only seen Italian imports struggle to adjust to our 'inconsistent' climate.

They have filled out very well in the frames and have grown in height although I’m not measuring as such. Very happy with them.

Pleached lime, Tilia x Europaea "Pallida"

Lovely red twigs for winter interest; lush green leaves in summer; yellow leaves in autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Personally I would stay away from holly, its looks lovely, but if its anywhere that people are likely to be walking bare foot or if you have young kids, any dropped leaves can do painful damage. Even when the leaves are long dead and brittle, the spikes are still vicious.

Have you any picture that you could kindly share?
    I understand that when first planted they can look bare and gappy but i would love to know how long it takes for the timber frames to become almost hidden by new growth and leaves.

Now I am looking at pleached Elaeagnus Ebbingei buy not sure about the yellow leaves, also dont see it mentioned a lot which id odd as they look great

• Advertisement

Now I am looking at pleached Elaeagnus Ebbingei buy not sure about the yellow leaves, also dont see it mentioned a lot which id odd as they look great

Only the variegated (e.g. 'Gilt Edge') have yellow-tinged leaves.

The standard non-variegated type has green leaves with a silvery-green underside.

Lumen wrote: »
    Only the variegated (e.g. 'Gilt Edge') have yellow-tinged leaves.

The standard non-variegated type has green leaves with a silvery-green underside.

Ok yes that makes sense thanks.
    I prefer the green/silver variety.

Im slightly confused and nervous about the Elaeagnus ebbingei because when you google "best evergreen pleached trees" the usual names of red robin, Cherry Laurel and Holm Oak pop up.

I have rarely seen Elaeagnus ebbingei mentioned which is strange as its a gorgeous looking tree and ticks all the boxes...I think

Am i missing something here? is there a catch?

Ok yes that makes sense thanks.
    I prefer the green/silver variety.

Im slightly confused and nervous about the Elaeagnus ebbingei because when you google "best evergreen pleached trees" the usual names of red robin, Cherry Laurel and Holm Oak pop up.

I have rarely seen Elaeagnus ebbingei mentioned which is strange as its a gorgeous looking tree and ticks all the boxes...I think

Am i missing something here? is there a catch?

I'm not a botanist so I may have the terms wrong, but Elaeagnus x ebbingei is a large shrub rather than a tree. It can be pruned into small tree form, but it will max out at about 4m and is relatively slow growing (compared to laurel) so will probably be more expensive to buy one at height as it will be much older.

For comparison of growth rates, here's a pic of a mature eleagnus (left), maybe 3-4m next to a bay laurel (I think) of the same age. Neither have been pruned in a long time, if ever.

Ignore the trees in the background and the hydrangeas under the eleagnus, I couldn't be bothered to move them :pac:

IMG-20200622-143450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Hi Op, just wondering did you buy some pleached trees last year and if so how are they getting on? I'm looking to buy 6/7 pleached trees for privacy screening in front of a wall and am considering either hornbeam or Pyrus Chanticleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I have heard that the flowers of Pyrus Chanticleer smell very bad. i was going to get one until I heard that. I'm sure others can vouch for that

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do pleached trees keep their shape naturally? Or are you signing up to a lifetime of careful pruning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭standardg60

awec wrote: »
    Do pleached trees keep their shape naturally? Or are you signing up to a lifetime of careful pruning?

Signing up of course, nothing is ever that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Depending on the size and orientation of your own and your neighbours garden, will the trees grow so high that they will block the light from your neighbours house.

I'm sure we've all seen people plant Lelandi trees for example, which just keep growing and growing upwards. Could be quite expensive if they block the light from his house, and you end up being forced to pay to have them trimed regularly and keeping them at a reasonable height.

Advertisement