Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with the BOM

• 04-06-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a teacher to request access to a BOM meeting?? I have a situation which I cannot discuss here, but the principal is standing firm - can I have my say to the BOM? If so, how do I request it? I have contacted the union.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I'd say the union is the best bet to give you an answer to this as I'm not sure if you'd be able to make direct contact with the chairperson of the BOM except for a letter addressed to this person sent to the school? BOM's I'd think have concluded their duties this year except for ratifying new staff after interviews (if there are to be any).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

deflated17 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a teacher to request access to a BOM meeting?? I have a situation which I cannot discuss here, but the principal is standing firm - can I have my say to the BOM? If so, how do I request it? I have contacted the union.

Yes it is if you go through a grievance procedure. It takes a few stages but in the end you can hold out until you get a hearing with the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 deflated17

LW2018 wrote: »
    I'd say the union is the best bet to give you an answer to this as I'm not sure if you'd be able to make direct contact with the chairperson of the BOM except for a letter addressed to this person sent to the school? BOM's I'd think have concluded their duties this year except for ratifying new staff after interviews (if there are to be any).

Thanks for that. Union were no help really. This problem is as the department would say 'local arrangements' - it is to outline what the principal has done to at least two members of staff and there probably is a third victim coming soon.

Yes it is if you go through a grievance procedure. It takes a few stages but in the end you can hold out until you get a hearing with the board.

I heard that it is a long drawn process which can actually make the situation worse but that's hearsay. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

There should be two teacher representatives on the BOM , have you spoken to them?

• Advertisement

There should be two teacher representatives on the BOM , have you spoken to them?

Sorry, stupid question - about what? Sending a letter or tell them what's happening? I presume they will distance themselves and can't divulge matters arising in meetings. One is the principal's pet and the other is not far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Teacher nominee...quite different to a representative, they aren't there to represent you on the BOM. It's one teacher nominee if primary. Seems like it is a complaint you wish to make, check out INTO grievance procedures if primary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I heard that it is a long drawn process which can actually make the situation worse but that's hearsay. Thanks for the reply.

There is set timeliness to be adhered to once a grievance procedure is triggered.
    Stage 1 up to 5 working days.
    Stage 2 up to 10 more working days,
    Stage 3 up to 10 more working days

Taken from TUI below

Stage 3
    • The relevant trade union/Branch/Area/Head Office representative shall seek a
    meeting with the Board of Management of the school. The Board of Management
    may be accompanied at this meeting by representatives of the Association of
    Community and Comprehensive Schools.
    • This meeting shall take place within 10 working days of receipt of the request by
    the trade union to move to Stage 3.

There is set timeliness to be adhered to once a grievance procedure is triggered.
    Stage 1 up to 5 working days.
    Stage 2 up to 10 more working days,
    Stage 3 up to 10 more working days

Taken from TUI below

Stage 3
    • The relevant trade union/Branch/Area/Head Office representative shall seek a
    meeting with the Board of Management of the school. The Board of Management
    may be accompanied at this meeting by representatives of the Association of
    Community and Comprehensive Schools.
    • This meeting shall take place within 10 working days of receipt of the request by
    the trade union to move to Stage 3.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

For Gods sake get this crazy idea out of your mind for your own sake .I would have been in a similar position before ,envisioned a similar 'performance' ( and been forewarned by wiser teachers ) and also I've served on BOMs .You have visions of a cathartic moment when all the principal's wrongdoings will be revealed to the BOM and you will be vindicated .The chairman will shut you down the instant you stray from the very narrow parameters you have been invited in to talk about .You will end up in worse trouble .5 of the 7 BOM members are appointed by the parents / trustees .They will have blind faith in principal and unquestiongly back them .The chairman and principal are more 'in cahoots' than any duo in the school ( probably including teaching married couples ) .Its always the way ( or is so 99% of the time)
    Either take the enormous risk of leaving your permanent job or learn to live with the principal's sociopathic bullying .These incompetents have one key skill and that is destroying the lives and careers of those that oppose them .Its the same from the top to bottom of society .Yes you will be bypassed for posts etc but unless a majority of staff are on your side it's game over ( and those that get the perks will poison the rest against you)
    Enjoy holidays and forget about it .Even BEYOND BOM level 'independent' arbitrators will be appointed by trustees /ETB etc and they hate to reveal what a mess they made appointing that principal .You have at best a 50/50 chance at arbitration .Enjoy your holidays and forget about it .It will consume your life ,every waking second . The unions are useless .Let the sad little schmucks think they've won ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

2011abc is absolutely right. The Principal IS the BOM. They might have gone through the motions of 'electing' the Reps but most are there because they will support him/her eg trustee reps. The more useless the Chair the longer they will remain in that position.

2011abc wrote: »
    For Gods sake get this crazy idea out of your mind for your own sake .I would have been in a similar position before ,envisioned a similar 'performance' ( and been forewarned by wiser teachers ) and also I've served on BOMs .You have visions of a cathartic moment when all the principal's wrongdoings will be revealed to the BOM and you will be vindicated .The chairman will shut you down the instant you stray from the very narrow parameters you have been invited in to talk about .You will end up in worse trouble .5 of the 7 BOM members are appointed by the parents / trustees .They will have blind faith in principal and unquestiongly back them .The chairman and principal are more 'in cahoots' than any duo in the school ( probably including teaching married couples ) .Its always the way ( or is so 99% of the time)
    Either take the enormous risk of leaving your permanent job or learn to live with the principal's sociopathic bullying .These incompetents have one key skill and that is destroying the lives and careers of those that oppose them .Its the same from the top to bottom of society .Yes you will be bypassed for posts etc but unless a majority of staff are on your side it's game over ( and those that get the perks will poison the rest against you)
    Enjoy holidays and forget about it .Even BEYOND BOM level 'independent' arbitrators will be appointed by trustees /ETB etc and they hate to reveal what a mess they made appointing that principal .You have at best a 50/50 chance at arbitration .Enjoy your holidays and forget about it .It will consume your life ,every waking second . The unions are useless .Let the sad little schmucks think they've won ...

I have thought about it and you are right - it was a knee jerk reaction. I will cause more trouble being there as the bully boy tactics have not knocked me - yet anyway. Will live in hope that redeployment opens up in my area next year. I get on with my students, have a good reputation as a teacher among colleagues, parents and students and that will annoy the principal more. Just to say - I'm not actively going to go out of my way to annoy the principal because that is childish but I think the fact that the sword was drawn and pierced me - it hasn't hurt me - I keep coming back!! Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sorry to be negative again but redeployment is a few counties a year with under 5-10 % success rate for those :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

I have thought about it and you are right - it was a knee jerk reaction. I will cause more trouble being there as the bully boy tactics have not knocked me - yet anyway. Will live in hope that redeployment opens up in my area next year. I get on with my students, have a good reputation as a teacher among colleagues, parents and students and that will annoy the principal more. Just to say - I'm not actively going to go out of my way to annoy the principal because that is childish but I think the fact that the sword was drawn and pierced me - it hasn't hurt me - I keep coming back!! Thanks for the advice!

Just record everything from now on.

2011abc wrote: »
    Sorry to be negative again but redeployment is a few counties a year with under 5-10 % success rate for those :-(

I know that but like every school we are over quota - does that make a difference? I would be nominating myself for redeployment and I think the BOM can as well.

Treppen wrote: »
    Just record everything from now on.

I have a sizeable amount of incidents but the principal is not breaking any rules but is devious in their actions - records mean diddly-squat. It's horrific that principals are not answerable to anyone.

Advertisement