Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Mobile €5 a month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭tiegan

No probs with tethering, I don't have any other mobile or landline broadband, use mobile hotspot 24/7 for last 9 months no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perfect , Sold 😁, I'm well out of contract with 3 and hard to beat €5 per month for 6 months , thanks 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Well mother of God that was torture, just signed up for this deal, all seemed fine, order processed, confirmed, account number issued and delivery time (DPD) Confirmed.

Roll on 2 hours later, got another email to complete my order 😳

Link went nowhere

Onto chat (OMG)

Helpful, checked details, seemed fine.

I explained wording of last email worryingl.

Chat agent went deeper.

Discovered some account details missing, How long I lived at my address etc (21 years)

Agent then felt I should be transferred to mobile chat 🙄

Froze

Eventually, re started chat (30 minutes so far)

Finally got back on to original Agent, exasperated he said he'll put the details in manually. If any further issues, I'll be contacted.

Honestly, not how I intended to start my day.

How an order was even processed and confirmed ( I actually did complete it fully) is beyond me .

So completely up in the air as to wether or not Sim will arrive .

Hope no one else went through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I just put the longest date available for questions like how long at address, length of time with employer etc.

I'd say they never check them.

€5 offer ENDS TODAY.

Just to be Clear the order was actually fukky complete and confirmed, Account number assigned, mobile number assigned and even DPD delivery details emailed, then chaos started.

Emails from Virgin to complete my order, 40 minutes onto chat yesterday, they were perplexed, noticed some info missing, assured it would be done manually.

Roll on this morning, more emails from Virgin to complete order and a delay notification from DPD, back onto chat for 45 minutes, then 57 , yes 57 minutes on the phone to be told no one can see any issues, actually took to calls so over an hour and a half 😳

They can not explain why I'm receiving emails to complete order or why delay in delivery.

Detailed notes now on the Account, will just have to see if sim arrives.

I'm just flabbergasted at what's happened.

I hear horror stories re mobile customer care, this a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

New offer is €5 for 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

If you transfer your number over does it matter if your phone is locked to your previous network?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭questionmark

Yes, you need a unlocked phone for your new SIM. You might be able to get the unlock code for the old network, if not cheapest place is probably to buy the unlock code on ebay

Cheers, sorry last question, when I put my number into Virgin to port over would I also need to contact my old network to cancel my rolling monthly contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭questionmark

Depends on the terms of your old network, some require 30 days notice , some don't require you tell them. Who are you with ?

• Advertisement

With tesco monthly bill but out of contract, so it's just rolling each 30 days now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No the porting process cancels your service with your current network automatically

*EDITED as got sorted*

Post edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭horse7

Thank God for that,I cancelled mine and also sent in a cancellation web page but still got a new bill.

I forgot to update on my horror story on signing up. It appears that despite only commencing an order, not completing nor submitting any bank details, their website somehow managed to create a basket for an unfinished order. Two days later, I completed a new order, submitted and all fine, confirmed, account number submitted etc.

Meanwhile, hours later the fun started, emails to come back and complete order, message from courier to say unexpected delay, assuming this was to do with my completed order, the fun started with their care team, some saying no issues, some saying info missing, it was a mess. Finally got through (next day) to someone who seemed to understand the problem, assured me my sim on the way and ignore the requests to complete order.

Sim arrived, all good and excellent speeds, oddly better than 3, despite Virgin working off 3 network. Just using sim for data and honestly, at €5 pm, what's not to like 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm on Vodafone. €20 per month. Unlimited calls and text, plus 2GByte of data. Don't know if I have to give 30 day notice or not.

Don't want to phone them to check...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was with them on an earlier iteration of this deal. The signal was crap. Never able to get a reception jn tvr middle of Dublin. I gave up and moved to eir.

Honestly I wasn't expecting much as I know how these virtual networks work but I'm actually astonished at the speeds , I'm in the slieve bloom mountains, to be fair 3 have generally been very good here because the got support when involved in the now defunct national broadband scheme , they have a number of masts in the locality and virgin piggy back of 3's network.

My speeds with 3 prior to cancelling were at best 25 Megs , Virgin has never gone below 40 and averaging 70 Megs, more than adequate for my needs 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭steve_r

My 6 month offer has expired - just wondering which network people have looked to move to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

48 are worth trying... €11 for two months (second free) and two Uber Eats vouchers each worth €10 so basically they're paying you. :-) https://refer.48.ie/QQGPxr

• Advertisement

They are still doing 5e/month for five months instead of 6? Can't go wrong!

Just curious, I'm on the 6 month €5 offer , start date 3rd March , I'm guessing I'll need to give notice 3rd of August to cancel, what's the procedure to cancel , do I have to call 🤔 or email .

I presume I'll have to sign up separately for the 5 month deal 🤔 pain on the ass but I'd doubt they'd extend my current offer for 5 month's.

Thanks

No they won't extend the offer, as after the 6 months it reverts to 25/month. Simple to cancel email cancel@virginmedia.ie giving your account number and phone number and tell them you wish to give 30 days notice on the account. They rang me after a couple of days to confirm, I had two SIM's with VM and they were just checking which SIM I wished to cancel. Very simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

You could try ringing them , they extended my €5 before, but I was also in deep negotiations with renewing / cancelling my VM broadband.

I went with 48.ie eventually and got the €7.99 offer which I'm still on. I suppose I could move back for the €5 but would lose the €7.99 (which is never coming back).

VM also have a €15 pm deal but the usage is capped at 500gb, it's alright if you stick to home WiFi and keep an eye.

I'll suggest it of course but I've nothing else with them , honestly only use the sim for data and it's brilliant in fairness, but yes, thanks for that 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Current offer with Eir has just expired and I’m thinking about jumping to VM for the €5 for 5 months, how is data speed and coverage etc?

I suppose location needs to be considered but I'm very rural, was always on 3 for broadband, phone until 2 years ago. Got the virgin sim and despite working off 3's network it's been inexplicably much faster than 3. I don't use the sim for calls, just data and impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

I know they mention unlimited data but do they throttle or cut you off after a certain amount like gomo and 48.

Do you know approximately how much data you use each month?

• Advertisement

I'm using about 30Gb so not a big user to be honest, 3 offered 750gb per month, I'm unsure what virgins fair use limit is but I think it's 100gb (open to correction)

They all mention unlimited but as you know there's a fair use policy, GoMo's is 120gb

Advertisement