Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does RTE have such a pro-SF bias?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Irish Times' editor between 2002 and 2011 was a former Progressive Democrats TD very much in tune the era's leading right-wing voices of Des O'Malley, Michael McDowell and Mary Harney and was a key figure in the culture of the Celtic Tiger.

The chairman of The Irish Times called his own editor a "white N**ger" for portraying the 1969 civil rights marches in Derry as being an understandable reaction to the ole RUC beatings, not having an equal vote on the local council, a rural town being given a university instead of the second-largest city, and one's neighbours being given council houses for being Protestant.

Before then, when the paper began to rface up to the reality of an independent Ireland with a constitution and a president instead of a king or queen, The Irish Times had been the mouthpiece of the Anglo-Irish Protestant establishment and the official journal of the British Empire as it was experienced in Ireland.

I'd personally hazard a guess that at least one person, at some stage in the paper's 161-year history, has called The Irish Times right-wing. And that's worth thinking about before you post any more of this stuff.

That was then, different publication altogether now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Certainly when it comes to NI Tommy Gorman often manages to editorialize with a bias towards SF.

Have not noticed it as much with regards to news stories in the republic though.

What? He won't even report on good news stories in the North, the other guy does all that, Gorman is smitten with the DUP and the English Queen, only reports on SF if it's in a bad light, some of his written news reports on the RT E website are bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

RTE has a few closet sinners in its ranks. That's my take on it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Watching the six news yesterday, Ingrid Miley (a.k.a the Trade Union spokeswoman) had a piece about the €6bn government deficit we now find ourselves in.

In the first 60 seconds, we see the face of that economic illiterate Pearse Doherty, sprouting the usual lefty populist nonsense. Only at the very end of the piece does Ingrid care to summarize what Paschal Donohoe, the actual Minister who knows what he's talking about, has to say. And we don't see him speak, it's just Ingird's brief summary of what he said, even though he had a news conference.

Am i the only one who notices how blatantly obvious the bias is? This happens every time....SF, PBP views are first, right at the top of the news. Often no view aired from anyone at FG or FF.

It's also noticeable when they say "Opposition parties voiced their frustration with X"...and they cut to SF first, then FF second. Every darn time.

Drivel.
    SF are the largest party. RTE are historically very anti-SF but have been dragged kicking and screaming into giving them a fair hearing.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Drivel.
    SF are the largest party. RTE are historically very anti-SF but have been dragged kicking and screaming into giving them a fair hearing.

Freddie's a caricature ,sort of a cross between Alan B'stard and John Wayne Gacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is this the right wing Irish version of 'all the media is out to get us, except all the ones we own'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Drivel.

SF have zero power. In the North they have done nothing for years and the excuse is the DUP stop them. No power

In the south they ran under the “change” banner and have done nothing. All that is left is communities with a shower of useless politicians that can’t even tie their own shoe lace and are better at slagging off people on Facebook

No idea how anyone could call them largest party in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wasting their time anyway. Not many Sinn Feiners even look at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

I think they're obviously not biased towards SF, but they're keen to avoid being seen as pro-establishment so often seem to be quite lenient with them. And opposition parties will normally get an easier ride anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SF have zero power. In the North they have done nothing for years and the excuse is the DUP stop them. No power

In the south they ran under the “change” banner and have done nothing. All that is left is communities with a shower of useless politicians that can’t even tie their own shoe lace and are better at slagging off people on Facebook

No idea how anyone could call them largest party in Ireland.

I'm guessing you are still traumatised by their recent success in the election.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you are still traumatised by their recent success in the election.

Not really....

The Greens are going into government with FF, sorted on both fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RTE's bias mirrors the bias in the BBC - staffed mainly by wealthy city centric bourgeois left leaning progressives.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

RTE's bias mirrors the bias in the BBC - staffed mainly by wealthy city centric bourgeois left leaning progressives.

So you want it staffed by poor, rural centric, proletarian, right leaning regressives?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So you want it staffed by poor, rural centric, proletarian, right leaning regressives?
    no i'd just like a bit of objectivity. Tell me what's happening in the world but don't tell me what to think about it and don't have an agenda, that's not the function of a national broadcaster in receipt of a licence fee.

Not really....

The Greens are going into government with FF, sorted on both fronts

You forgot FG:D

You forgot FG:D

Not a fan of FG :p:p they are just in to make up the numbers

Not a fan of FG :p:p they are just in to make up the numbers

So Monty Burns for Taoiseach it is then. We should be ok, FF did such a great job the last time they were in power so what could go wrong eh.:D

So Monty Burns for Taoiseach it is then. We should be ok, FF did such a great job the last time they were in power so what could go wrong eh.:D

Celtic Tiger, yeah it wasn't too bad!!

Celtic Tiger, yeah it wasn't too bad!!

You must have missed the train wreck, were you one of the thousands that emigrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

really, is this another SF thread started by someone who claims to not support them?

really?

• Advertisement

Leaving RTE aside, I ask myself why there are so many Sinn Fein threads on Boards.ie?

So many "anti" SF threads, and many more Pro SF threads amounts to a whole lot of Sinn Fein threads of all types :cool:

I've counted approx twenty five Sinn Fein related threads, just within the last twenty pages of this forum alone!

It's like there's a Sinn Fein thread started on a regular basis by design, just to keep the spotlight on their profile?

Massive Sinn Fein surge on here in After Hours, Current Affairs, Politics Cafe, and why was this particular SF thread really started, except to maintain talk about SF and to keep the buggers high profile.

You watch, they'll be another Sinn Fein thread started tomorrow or the next day, for whatever reason.

have a look at the people who start them . very few claim to be sf supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Paschal Donohoe, the actual Minister who knows what he's talking about.

If you listen to Economist David Mcwilliams latest podcast episode, he thinks quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

TG4 is the home of RTE's SF supporters; every second or third night, there will be a programme on with an SF or IRA slant,especially anything to do with the war of independence and the civil war. TG4 is stuck in 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »
    really, is this another SF thread started by someone who claims to not support them?

really?

There are lots of posters who claim not to support Sinn Fein, yet spend their posting lives defending them.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    TG4 is the home of RTE's SF supporters; every second or third night, there will be a programme on with an SF or IRA slant,especially anything to do with the war of independence and the civil war. TG4 is stuck in 1922.

TG4 makes some suprisingly good content,in broad range of sport,documentries and even source good dramas etc (the reality tv shows arent great,but wouldnt be a fan of them.anyway)

If they had the budget of RTE,they wouldnt be churning out marty morrissey in a garden shed for content

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Scottie99 wrote: »
    If you listen to Economist David Mcwilliams latest podcast episode, he thinks quite the opposite.

That's quite a compliment to Paschal, given that young David is the man responsible for persuading Brian Lenihan to bring in the bank bailout that ruined the country.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That's quite a compliment to Paschal, given that young David is the man responsible for persuading Brian Lenihan to bring in the bank bailout that ruined the country.

Thought the opinion of Passsscal was that Playdoh would make a better minister,

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are lots of posters who claim not to support Sinn Fein, yet spend their posting lives defending them.

they arent the ones starting the threads. i understand understanding facts sometimes bypasses you, but everyone can see who starts these kinds of threads. they arent the same people you refer to.

I can say for fact youve started more SF threads than I have. Maybe even more than most others. just like this thread was started by someone who claims to hate them - but yet cant help making threads about them.

I call that love myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

RTÉ seems to have a pro and anti SF bias depending on who you’re talking to, so I will have to conclude that they must be getting the balance right as they seem to be annoying both sides of the argument in equal measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Watching the six news yesterday, Ingrid Miley (a.k.a the Trade Union spokeswoman) had a piece about the €6bn government deficit we now find ourselves in.

In the first 60 seconds, we see the face of that economic illiterate Pearse Doherty, sprouting the usual lefty populist nonsense. Only at the very end of the piece does Ingrid care to summarize what Paschal Donohoe, the actual Minister who knows what he's talking about, has to say. And we don't see him speak, it's just Ingird's brief summary of what he said, even though he had a news conference.

Am i the only one who notices how blatantly obvious the bias is? This happens every time....SF, PBP views are first, right at the top of the news. Often no view aired from anyone at FG or FF.

It's also noticeable when they say "Opposition parties voiced their frustration with X"...and they cut to SF first, then FF second. Every darn time.

To be fair FF are not an opposition party

Remember this is the same RTE that tried to keep the most popular leader , out of the leaders debate?

Advertisement