Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does RTE have such a pro-SF bias?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    They didn't demand Flanagan's head over the Horkan funeral either.
    They didn't let MLMD take part in televised debates.
    So yeah....bias :rolleyes:

So strange to see a Social Democrats voter defend the breaking of social distancing rules by Sinn Fein in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

OK RTE are not only biased towards SF, and PBP/Sol/RISE/UL.
    the airtime ratio given to the radical left far outweighs their actual vote or poll data.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    So strange to see a Social Democrats voter defend the breaking of social distancing rules by Sinn Fein in the North.

as bad as a greens supporter complaining about SF constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's probably been mentioned by now, but I seen a few minutes of RTE's documentary about Martin McGuinness last week. Regardless of how truthful it was, it was outright propaganda. They were playing all this ominous music to try and emotionally persuade people. It was complete low tier nonsense that I'd expect from a bad conspiracy theory video on Youtube. I say all this as someone who has nothing but contempt for Sinn Fein.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

petronius wrote: »
    the airtime ratio given to the radical left far outweighs their actual vote or poll data.

Thats because the majority of FF/FG TDs recently are scared ****less to go on TV/Radio as they have no excuses for the **** show they created by going into Govt together just to keep SF out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned by now, but I seen a few minutes of RTE's documentary about Martin McGuinness last week. Regardless of how truthful it was, it was outright propaganda. They were playing all this ominous music to try and emotionally persuade people. It was complete low tier nonsense that I'd expect from a bad conspiracy theory video on Youtube. I say all this as someone who has nothing but contempt for Sinn Fein.

Yep - disgraceful lightweight puff piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

I'm a SF voter too unless they change their housing policy.
    My gripe concerns the bull notion any party has some kind of advantage over the dug in friends of the Clifden posse FF/FG. Its ridiculous.
    You are either lying or very forgetful. Never defended SF on the funeral. Said they should have socially distanced. Said it was wrong.
    You keep using it while ignoring Flanagan at Horkan's. We should not be using funerals to score points IMO.
    The usual ignore and deflect tactic from you. If RTE are so pro SF why wasnt MLMD at the key debates?
    Can we expect FG, the third party to be ignored? Can we ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They didn't demand Flanagan's head over the Horkan funeral either.
    They didn't let MLMD take part in televised debates.
    So yeah....bias :rolleyes:
    Arent people in enough depression without having to listen to Cushy Butterfield state the ****ing obvious?

There is a big difference about attending a murdered Garda's funeral and attending a wife beaters funeral in Belfast.

Edgware wrote: »
    Arent people in enough depression without having to listen to Cushy Butterfield state the ****ing obvious?

There is a big difference about attending a murdered Garda's funeral and attending a wife beaters funeral in Belfast.

I will not comment on Garda Horkan's personal life to score points. It's lower than I would ever stoop.
    The point is they were both funerals and both not socially distanced. Your view on which family does or doesn't deserve respect aside.

I will not comment on Garda Horkan's personal life to score points. It's lower than I would ever stoop.
    The point is they were both funerals and both not socially distanced. Your view on which family does or doesn't deserve respect aside.

Willing to stoop to Sinn Fein on the off chance you might get a house though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sinn Fein are the biggest opposition party in the Dail.

So Rte have to get both sides of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

What a load of bs about RTE having a "new found love of SF". Just give me a break. The media absolutely despise SF for the fact that they are a threat to the political establishment, upper class and status quo. They are not that bothered about the troubles or past at all.

The media's agenda is to satisfy FG, their political donors and friends and DOB. Look at the indo in particular in the last few weeks before the 2020 GE. They tried every trick in the book to undermine and discredit SF and the rest of FG's opponents, including votegate, even interviewing victims of the IRA, which was at the same time that SF were flying high in the opinion polls.

Look at Bryan Dobson and his interview with Mary Lou just days from the election on national tv. Dobbo was way out or order with her. Remember RTE reluctance to add MLM to the leaders debate. Their excuse at the time was "previous voting patterns". Eventually RTE caved in and we had the 3 leader debate, but the damage to RTE touched a raw nerve with many who see the national broadcaster as anti-SF.

As for newstalk, listening to Pat Kenny and his predictable outdated anti-sf tripe when interviewing Sf TD's tells you what you need to know about him and that right-wing station.

SF might not be everyone's cup of tea. But anyone following the media would acknowledge that there is far more scrutiny and bad press aimed at SF at the expense of FG who get a far too much of an armchair ride by journalists.

I leave you with this. When is the last time that homelessness the biggest social issue in the country and the horrible job by the previous FG led govt on tackling this massive issue was ever mentioned in the front pages of the print media? A longtime sadly and tells you what you need to know about the way the MSM media operate in Ireland in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

petronius wrote: »

thats always been the case , richard boyd barrett was fairly regularly on tv and radio long before even getting elected to dun laoighre council , never mind the dail

New Era wrote: »
    Who started this thread? What a load of bs. RTE has a "new found love of SF". Just give me a break. The media absolutely despise SF for the fact that they are a threat to the political establishment, upper class and status quo. They are not that bothered about the troubles or past at all.

The media's agenda is to satisfy FG, their political donors and friends and DOB. Look at the indo in particular in the last few weeks before the 2020 GE. They tried every trick in the book to undermine and discredit SF and the rest of FG's opponents, including votegate, even interviewing victims of the IRA, which was at the same time that SF were flying high in the opinion polls.

Look at Bryan Dobson and his interview with Mary Lou just days from the election on national tv. Dobbo was way out or order with her. Remember RTE reluctance to add MLM to the leaders debate. Their excuse at the time was "previous voting patterns". Eventually RTE caved in and we had the 3 leader debate, but the damage to RTE touched a raw nerve with many who see the national broadcaster as anti-SF.

As for newstalk, listening to Pat Kenny and his predictable outdated anti-sf tripe when interviewing Sf TD's tells you what you need to know about him and that right-wing station.

SF might not be everyone's cup of tea. But anyone following the media would acknowledge that there is far more scrutiny and bad press aimed at SF at the expense of FG who get a far too much of an armchair ride by journalists.

I leave you with this. When is the last time that homelessness the biggest social issue in the country and the horrible job by the previous FG led govt on tackling this massive issue was ever mentioned in the front pages of the print media? A longtime sadly and tells you what you need to know about the way the MSM media operate in Ireland in the 21st century.

the media never shut up about homelessness

What a load of bs about RTE having a "new found love of SF". Just give me a break. The media absolutely despise SF for the fact that they are a threat to the political establishment, upper class and status quo. They are not that bothered about the troubles or past at all.

"even interviewing victims of the IRA"

Really the nerve of them its just so unfair.

IMO Sinn Fein get a very easy ride from the media. Don't know how any interviewer keeps a straight face as the vile Mary Lou bleats on in her grating voice about justice and and her fake ass concern for this that and the other having coldly decided to carve out a grubby political career for herself by attaching herself to Sinn Fein, the party of pub bombers, Garda killers, murderers, bank robbers and punishment beatings. Would love to see a proper interview done with any of the rag tag collection low life chancers, street thugs, spoofers and sociopaths making up Sin Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Conspiracy theory nonsense. It's par for the course for populist nationalistic movements like Trump, Boris, SF. Undermine public service broadcasting and the media in general by suggesting they are hopelessly biased against you. Poison public discourse by unleashing supporters to fire abuse at public figures who have yet to realise they shouldn't use social media.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Willing to stoop to Sinn Fein on the off chance you might get a house though

Anything to stop wasteful spending of tax money on filling the pockets of private rental agencies. Very happy to :)

Conspiracy theory nonsense. It's par for the course for populist nationalistic movements like Trump, Boris, SF. Undermine public service broadcasting and the media in general by suggesting they are hopelessly biased against you. Poison public discourse by unleashing supporters to fire abuse at public figures who have yet to realise they shouldn't use social media.

Did you not read the OP johnny?
    The media are pro SF and also the left think they are anti SF :rolleyes:
    As usual the argument changes based on potential point scorage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A quick search turned up the following. Bear in mind, this is during one of the biggest news events globally in most of our lifetimes. All from the last few weeks.

Irish Times.

RTE

Examiner

RTE

Newstalk

Also, on this;
    The media absolutely despise SF for the fact that they are a threat to the political establishment, upper class and status quo. They are not that bothered about the troubles or past at all.

The media's agenda is to satisfy FG, their political donors and friends and DOB.

You might want to have a chat with those on this site who vehemently feel the media in Ireland is Left Wing.

I take it as a positive when you have the the extremes on both sides thinking the media is working in their opponents favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the media never shut up about homelessness

Do you want them to ignore it just because it might embarass some **** in the Dail?

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Do you want them to ignore it just because it might embarass some **** in the Dail?

Was just replying to the poster who criticised the lack of reporting

Advertisement