Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So you/that other poster is taking all that offense from one random person on twitter?

There are plenty more people on twitter posting that believe the earth is flat but I don't believe they speak with any authority on the matter.

There isn't much I can say to you or the other poster if you're fragile and paranoid enough that random twitter post makes you feel this is a view held by a significant number of people.

I can only laugh :D the irony of your post...

As I said ya can't see the Forest for the trees.

Either that or your so biased your willfully being stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Danzy wrote: »
    Her and those like her issuing the threats deserve harsh condemnation.

Ah, 'both sides' - the calling card of cowardly equivocation. Is it really so hard to just say that the death threats are bad? I think any reasonable person would see they're worse than what she said, at the least.

Unless you think things like this:
    Other examples include, “...On another note, kill yourself. Else someone might show you which lives really Matter :)” and “Why would you want to abolish whiteness anyway, we’ve given you everything you own, without us you’d still be chasing Bush meat with a blowpipe,” from the British Referendum Party.

Are in the same league as what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Where is the evidence that George Floyd's killing was racially motivated?

Unlike that other poster, I never made that claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you're fragile and paranoid enough that random twitter post makes you feel this is a view held by a significant number of people.
    Not hate speech: “White lives don’t matter.”

Hate speech: “White lives matter too.”

Ok.

was the original point

Cupatae wrote: »
    I can only laugh :D the irony of your post...

As I said ya can't see the Forest for the trees.

Either that or your so biased your willfully being stupid

What irony. Your posts and those of others here are pure tin foil hat stuff. You and others have openly admitted to 'imagining' scenarios and then getting outraged by it.

Can't see the 'Forrest for the trees' sounds like someone that has really heavily bought into scaremongering from right wing media or too deep in QAnon. Yeah, I don't see an issue here, like I wasn't scared of immigrant caravans nor sharia law.

• Advertisement

What irony. Your posts and those of others here are pure tin foil hat stuff. You and others have openly admitted to 'imagining' scenarios and then getting outraged by it.

Can't see the 'Forrest for the trees' sounds like someone that has really heavily bought into scaremongering from right wing media or too deep in QAnon. Yeah, I don't see an issue here, like I wasn't scared of immigrant caravans nor sharia law.

Oh dear :D it's ok man if your a staunch believer of BLM and they can do no wrong that's ok, we ve established that now, it's your inability to have a balanced discussion and only preaching one side of the story is what leads to so many people pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards of alot of your posts.

You asked why people keep posting vids of black people "randomly in your own words" attacking white people, that's prob why.. they find your posts heavily leaning one way.

I can acknowledge white people can be racist that there is police brutality..and in certain case blm are right, but I can also see black people make up 13.5% of the pop but do well over half the violent crime along with being racist something that's conveniently overlooked by urself and many others

The issue is you telling one side of the story. I haven't once seen you bring up any negative aspect of blm or the people following and there are plenty but you willfully ignore it.

was the original point

What point are you trying to make?

Finding one random person on twitter that made the statement doesn't make it any less paranoid or fragile to get upset about.

I'd be confident that I could find plenty of random people on twitter making anti-Irish comments but that doesn't mean I should get outraged or scared.

What point are you trying to make?
    incase you didn't see it...
    TomTomTim wrote: »
    m3g2p1i972751.png.

Supposedly she got a promotion too.

Oh dear :D it's ok man if your a staunch believer of BLM and they can do no wrong that's ok, we ve established that now, it's your inability to have a balanced discussion and only preaching one side of the story is what leads to so many people pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards of alot of your posts.

What other side of the story? You either believe in the statement that black lives matter or you don't.

As for the BLM group, I don't agree with everything they say and advocate, I never said I did. Also, it doesn't seem like you are aware that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of groups involved in the protests over the last month.
    You asked why people keep posting vids of black people "randomly in your own words" attacking white people, that's prob why.. they find your posts heavily leaning one way.

And no one has been able to answer the question. One poster claimed they were all racially motivated but has yet to come back with any evidence.
    I can acknowledge white people can be racist that there is police brutality..and in certain case blm are right, but I can also see black people make up 13.5% of the pop but do well over half the violent crime along with being racist something that's conveniently overlooked by urself and many others

It is not conveniently overlooked by me or people protesting. Like the rest of the world (including ireland) people in poverty are more likely to be involved in crime and the average black family's net worth is 10 times less than a white family. That is why they're asking for more money for education, housing etc etc rather than it be spent on the police for a town of 10,000 with a low crime rate having a tank.
    The issue is you telling one side of the story. I haven't once seen you bring up any negative aspect of blm or the people following and there are plenty but you willfully ignore it.

I'm more than willing to have an actual discussion on both sides but those discussions don't come from random videos with no context or imagined scenarios that people are outraged about.

incase you didn't see it...

I still have no idea what point you're trying to make :confused:

Are you saying the other poster is right to be ridiculously paranoid because the random twitter person also claimed she has support and received a promotion?

Plenty of people say stuff I don't agree with, including that woman's post, I'm just not fragile enough to believe that it is something I should get outraged by or fear that they are coming to get me.

• Advertisement

I still have no idea what point you're trying to make :confused:

“White lives don’t matter.” = Not hate speech

“White lives matter.” = Hate speech

would you agree?

"Context doesn't matter when I have a point to make that relies on not acknowledging context."

Would you agree?

would you agree?

Are you going to answer my multiple questions on what point you were trying to make in your previous posts?

Are you going to answer my multiple questions on what point you were trying to make in your previous posts?

are you being willfully obtuse?

Pot-kettle, etc..

are you being willfully obtuse?

I've repeatedly asked the question and you are either refusing or unable to answer.

You're now trying to railroad things down a different path and by doing so showing no interest in a good faith discussion.

"Context doesn't matter when I have a point to make that relies on not acknowledging context."

Would you agree?
    context? if someone said "Black lives don't matter, as black lives", was challenged on it, and followed up with

"Blackness is not special, not a criterion for making lives matter. I stand by that."

would you expect them to receive no professional backlash

https://twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/status/1275840302281043971

I've repeatedly asked the question and you are either refusing or unable to answer.

that was the original point, that was the only point, do you have any comment on it?

What other side of the story? You either believe in the statement that black lives matter or you don't.

As for the BLM group, I don't agree with everything they say and advocate, I never said I did. Also, it doesn't seem like you are aware that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of groups involved in the protests over the last month.

And no one has been able to answer the question. One poster claimed they were all racially motivated but has yet to come back with any evidence.

It is not conveniently overlooked by me or people protesting. Like the rest of the world (including ireland) people in poverty are more likely to be involved in crime and the average black family's net worth is 10 times less than a white family. That is why they're asking for more money for education, housing etc etc rather than it be spent on the police for a town of 10,000 with a low crime rate having a tank.

I'm more than willing to have an actual discussion on both sides but those discussions don't come from random videos with no context or imagined scenarios that people are outraged about.

So what do you agree with then exactly, what's your ideal outcome of this situation for black people?

Do you agree with defunding the police?

Do you agree with tearing down historical statues ?

Do you think black people are unfairly targetted by the police or are the police mostly right barring a few exceptions?

The poverty excuse doesn't fly with me for violent crimes, is it culture or systematic ? What about personal choice why don't they earn there way out like other minorities that are extremely high achievers Asians ECT... Attacking the system is Abit of a crutch tbh and doesn't really stand up if you read into it.

Does any of the responsibility lie squarely at the feet of the black community or is it all the system and white privilege out to get em ECT... (Speaking of tin foil hats)

You come across as Abit of a cheer leader for BLM tbh.

And yes I agree BLM and I agree ALM I do however think they use race as a crutch 90% of the time .

context? if someone said "Black lives don't matter, as black lives", was challenged on it, and followed up with

"Blackness is not special, not a criterion for making lives matter. I stand by that."

would you expect them to receive no professional backlash

Yes, context.

The context being: white people in the US aren't routinely beaten and murdered because they're white. White people are beaten and murdered but that's incidental to being white.

The context being: "black lives matter" is a reaction to black people being beaten and killed because they're black.

Stop trying to frame this as a gotcha, you're not nearly smart enough to pull it off.

• Advertisement

Yes, context.

The context being: white people in the US aren't routinely beaten and murdered because they're white. White people are beaten and murdered but that's incidental to being white.

The context being: "black lives matter" is a reaction to black people being beaten and killed because they're black.

Stop trying to frame this as a gotcha, you're not nearly smart enough to pull it off.

Are you saying black people are routinely attacked and beaten cause there black ? Evidence of this routine murder plz

GF was originally murdered by the police , race didn't come into it until BLM injected race into the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Absolutely ridiculous statement. That is simply not true

that was the original point, that was the only point, do you have any comment on it?

Now that I know the source, my comment is that the poster should not get so worked up and paranoid about what random people post on twitter. Same goes for videos of random acts of violence.

No matter what right wing media are telling them and how much they want to be a victim, no one is coming to get them.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. That is simply not true
    Are you saying black people are routinely attacked and beaten cause there black ? Evidence of this routine murder plz

I would gesticulate vaguely towards the number of news stories that've come out over the years but... well, it's clear some people just want to bury their heads in the sand over this.

Can't think of any reason they might want to do that, though...

Now that I know the source, my comment is that the poster should not get so worked up and paranoid about what random people post on twitter. Same goes for videos of random acts of violence.

No matter what right wing media are telling them and how much they want to be a victim, no one is coming to get them.

It's Abit ironic you call everyone that doesn't trot along behind your cheer leading of BLM a victim.. all the while trying to promote the entire black community as victims...

So far according to you they're victims of white privilege , the system, the police, mass poverty mass racism ect all because of there race of course there could be no other factors contributing to MOST this.. it has to be the colour of there skin! Couldn't possibly be anything else!

I would gesticulate vaguely towards the number of news stories that've come out over the years but... well, it's clear some people just want to bury their heads in the sand over this.

Bet ya I could find more cases of whites than you can of blacks ? But that doesn't drive the narrative does it ? Can't be the victims if another race is killed more by the police... Of course the police always have to be racist they couldn't possibly just be doing there jobs most of the time.

It's not like black folk commit over half the violent crime or anything to lead to these violent encounters..

So what do you agree with then exactly, what's your ideal outcome of this situation for black people?

Equality
    Do you agree with defunding the police?

Yes, no need for a town of 10,000 people and low crime rates to have a tank.
    Do you agree with tearing down historical statues ?

Yes, Ireland renamed towns and took down statues after we got independence.
    Do you think black people are unfairly targetted by the police or are the police mostly right barring a few exceptions?

Unfairly targeted and have been for generations.
    The poverty excuse doesn't fly with me for violent crimes, is it culture or systematic ? What about personal choice why don't they earn there way out like other minorities that are extremely high achievers Asians ECT... Attacking the system is Abit of a crutch tbh and doesn't really stand up if you read into it.

Why in Ireland then are areas of poverty more likely to have higher crime rates? Why did Ireland move away from concil estates/blocks?
    Does any of the responsibility lie squarely at the feet of the black community or is it all the system and white privilege out to get em ECT... (Speaking of tin foil hats)

Depends what you mean. A person makes their own choices but when you live in poverty you have less options (just like in Ireland).
    You come across as Abit of a cheer leader for BLM tbh.

And yes I agree BLM and I agree ALM I do however think they use race as a crutch 90% of the time .

I may come across like that because I am. I don't think I was ever as bad as many on this thread but before I moved to the states I didn't see or understand what people deal with (and I don't still fully understand because I'll never walk in their shoes). I've also been on several peaceful protests and seen first hand how cops react.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Depends what you mean. A person makes their own choices but when you live in poverty you have less options (just like in Ireland).

They have plenty of options in the US, much more so than the poor in Ireland. There are so many incredibly poor recent immigrants that do extremely well in the US with no supports. They do well because they work like dogs and spend all their money on their families.

The inter generational poor do not do well because of cultural reasons, not lack of options. They are brought up in and surrounded by a culture that keeps them down. That is why so few of them break out of where they were raised. The poor starved uneducated recent immigrants do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

90-95% of those news stories were men. Could it be the police just hate men?

• Advertisement

Bet ya I could find more cases of whites than you can of blacks ? But that doesn't drive the narrative does it ? Can't be the victims if another race is killed more by the police... Of course the police always have to be racist they couldn't possibly just be doing there jobs most of the time.

More instances of, in the US, more white people killed for being white than black people killed for being black?

Please, I can only take so much inane racism in one day, any more and I'll have to start charging by the minute.
    It's not like black folk commit over half the violent crime or anything to lead to these violent encounters..

Its not like 93% of prison inmates in the US are men. Guess they should start taking a hard look at all men, eh?

Advertisement