Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    From our previous discussions you've made it clear that you don't care about facts but here are some anyway.

I'm sure you'll find some way to claim how you feel/see/imagine things to be more important than data so I'll leave my discussion with you here.

On wrongful convictions - http://www.law.umich.edu/special/exo...onvictions.pdf

On length of sentence comes straight from the government - https://www.ussc.gov/research/resear...ces-sentencing

You forgot one, that they make up 13.5% of the population and are responsible for well over 50% of all violent crimes committed , factor in black women commit next to none and it makes for some grim reading but you prob can't even see those facts .

Your still suffering from the same thing as previous discussions the inability to tell both sides of the story unbiasedly .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Cupatae wrote: »
    White privilege.. an assuming broad statement about a group of people based on there skin color ...

You know what that sounds like ? 10 points if you can guess! That's right folks racism.

Thats not what white privilege means. You can argue it doesn't exist, fair enough, but it does not mean white people all behave a certain way.

joe40 wrote: »
    Thats not what white privilege means. You can argue it doesn't exist, fair enough, but it does not mean white people all behave a certain way.

It's assuming they all have a head start. That's not true.

And it is basing that on skin colour alone... Which is the definition of racism.

So it's not an assumption then of a race of people based on there race ?

• Advertisement

It's assuming they all have a head start. That's not true.

And it is basing that on skin colour alone... Which is the definition of racism.

No it's not assuming all white people have a headstart. A rich black American has more advantage of privilege than a poor white American.
    It is when all other things are equal it is better to be white.

It does not mean that all white people are racist or hold a particular view or opinion.

No, absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tony EH wrote: »
    This is fair to say.

But "white privilege" is still bullshit.

I think the point the statement is accurate in the US, as I explained above, but it is incredibly unhelpful thing to use in discussions.

No, absolutely not.

There was mean thinking it meant white people were privileged because of there skin color silly me!

What does it mean joe so? And why is it called white privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of being labelled "White" and with that label comes all sorts of negatives. Like "Privileged", "Racist".

And then its gets worse "White Middle aged male".
    I find this very offensive tbh.

Yes, I am a white - almost middle aged - male.
    wtf did I do to deserve to be labelled and abused.
    And its the people who dont like to be labelled themselves who are the worst at it.

White privilege is a myth, a fantasy created by the headcases in US universities, propagated by the uber progressives on twitter etc to shame and bully white people (mainly men) into submission. If you actually attempt to engage in a political discussion with these type of people you'll soon see that their views or opinions could only ever be formed by limited life experience and that they have an unconscious need to judge those they truly see as less than them. People who use these terms are incapable of providing credible facts to back up their claim. It's always an emotive response. Projection.

• Advertisement

There was mean thinking it meant white people were privileged because of there skin color silly me!

What does it mean joe so? And why is it called white privilege?

I put up a post few minutes ago showing what Iunderstand the term to mean.
    I really don't want to type it out again.

I put up a post few minutes ago showing what Iunderstand the term to mean.
    I really don't want to type it out again.

I know exactly what it is, I think your codding yourself, fortunately it's a myth white people can't get by on there skin color alone ..

But the intent of the phrase is a racist one.

I know exactly what it is, I think your codding yourself, fortunately it's a myth white people can't get by on there skin color alone ..

But the intent of the phrase is a racist one.

Of course white people can't get by on skin colour alone nobody said that.

Of course white people can't get by on skin colour alone nobody said that.

Are you being willfully silly now ? We all know what white privilege means stop trying to paint it in a better light..

We know who it's used by and what the intent is no matter how you dress it up it's a racist phrase at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

White privilege is a myth, a fantasy created by the headcases in US universities, propagated by the uber progressives on twitter etc to shame and bully white people (mainly men) into submission. If you actually attempt to engage in a political discussion with these type of people you'll soon see that their views or opinions could only ever be formed by limited life experience and that they have an unconscious need to judge those they truly see as less than them. People who use these terms are incapable of providing credible facts to back up their claim. It's always an emotive response. Projection.

White privilege seems to be a slight of hand for the modern left to explain away class privilege in a way that doesn't show them up as the upper middle class types they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Danzy wrote: »
    White privilege seems to be a slight of hand for the modern left to explain away class privilege in a way that doesn't show them up as the upper middle class types they are.

Yep, in reality it is Wealth Privilege, which doesn't suit their narrative, and certainly doesn't apply to most White people, OR Education Privilege which is something that is earned and, for some reason, the modern left is reluctant to bring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

#YouMatterNoMoreThanTheNextBloke :D

Are you being willfully silly now ? We all know what white privilege means stop trying to paint it in a better light..

We know who it's used by and what the intent is no matter how you dress it up it's a racist phrase at the end of it all.

This is a good article explaining what it means.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/world/what-white-privilege-origins-and-meaning-phrase-used-amid-black-lives-matter-debate-and-why-its-misunderstood-2884982%3famp

I can understand people saying it doesn't exist, fair enough.

But the term does not mean all white people behave a certain way or all white people are racist.

You probably won't even read the article, but just in the off chance I'll post it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Give it a few weeks and people will have forgotten all about it. We are predictable and have a short attention span --- thank the flying teapot for that...

This is a good article explaining what it means.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/world/what-white-privilege-origins-and-meaning-phrase-used-amid-black-lives-matter-debate-and-why-its-misunderstood-2884982%3famp

I can understand people saying it doesn't exist, fair enough.

But the term does not mean all white people behave a certain way or all white people are racist.

You probably won't even read the article, but just in the off chance I'll post it anyway.

It's a generalization of people with white skin color , unless we are pretending it's something else which seems to be the standard these days...

I'll put it this way if a generalization made about black people the pitch forks would be out ,

What it really boils down to is socially acceptable racism against white people, we are esential fair game to everyone because of media portrayal and "white guilt "

That's just the truth of it, can be dressed up what ever way people like but we all know what it is we know the fact that a "white " officer killed gf exasperated the reaction even tho it had nothing to do with race for example.

Outside of burying your head in the sand it's obvious what's going on under the guise of "equality "

• Advertisement

It's a generalization of people with white skin color , unless we are pretending it's something else which seems to be the standard these days...

I'll put it this way if a generalization made about black people the pitch forks would be out ,

What it really boils down to is socially acceptable racism against white people, we are esential fair game to everyone because of media portrayal and "white guilt "

That's just the truth of it, can be dressed up what ever way people like but we all know what it is we know the fact that a "white " officer killed gf exasperated the reaction even tho it had nothing to do with race for example.

Outside of burying your head in the sand it's obvious what's going on under the guise of "equality "

So, you didn't read the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

There genuinely does appear to be a problem of black disadvantage in the USA. I believe the problem cannot only be attributed to white privilege or the racism of white people. It appears that the the black community also has issues with their family units; the absence of fathers and the proliferation of single mothers. As always there are many contributing factors.

Sinzo wrote: »
    There genuinely does appear to be a problem of black disadvantage in the USA. I believe the problem cannot only be attributed to white privilege or the racism of white people. It appears that the the black community also has issues with their family units; the absence of fathers and the proliferation of single mothers. As always there are many contributing factors.

It is a worldwide issues that poverty is linked to broken family units.

It is the same in Ireland

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Yep, in reality it is Wealth Privilege, which doesn't suit their narrative, and certainly doesn't apply to most White people, OR Education Privilege which is something that is earned and, for some reason, the modern left is reluctant to bring up.

The reason why there is wealth privilege is largely due to the fact their ancestors were brought to the country against their will, made to work as slaves, spent years of open racism and segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

shure thats all a part of white privilege...

So, you didn't read the article.

Honestly have you read it urself? I don't think you have or you ve some warped version of it.

That aside I don't need an article from "thescotsman" to tell me what I already know .

Yourself and foxtrol sure love to explain away anything that inconveniences your agendas..

You should also note the time period of the people making those opinions you can't apply them like a bandaid to support your arguments as they were vastly different times, what that person said then might not hold true today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

iamstop wrote: »
    If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
    2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
    3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

You are lying.

I'll go through your points one by one.
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people.

Here's the evidence you are lying:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/

Sort by black and unarmed.

Notice almost every black person killed by the police was armed and attacking the police.
    Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.

BLM's main goal is political and financial. We know this because their donation system gives the money directly to the US Democratic Party. How will that prevent police brutality when every majority black city in the US is run by Democrats? If anything, it will achieve the opposite.

It is incredibly naive to believe their "main goal is end police brutality". You are the equivalent of someone believing North Korea is a democracy because its official title is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
    So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag

No, all you proved is you are naive and uneducated on this topic.
    If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human

You shouldn't have such strong opinions when you don't understand things.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

It's the lack of strong male role models, outside of sport and celebrity oriented pursuits. If you have no father figure in your life, once you hit puberty you tend to start running with the Alpha Dog in the local gang.

Those that are good at sport are lucky. They will hopefully work under a coach/manager who provides a stable role model and in certain sports learn to work as part of a team to achieve positive goals.

With Music/Acting you are again often relying on an innate talent that a minuscule percentage of people of ANY race possess.

None are realistic goals for the average person.

Education is everything. And role models in blue and white - I'm happy to change this expression - collar careers are needed too. Unfortunately, in many black communities working hard to earn an education is viewed as "acting white."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

In my honest opinion BLM and white privilage is BS and here are my reasons.

I have worked in London in a job that worked closely with the police. Constant cried of racism etc as more black young males stopped and searched and more arrested than white.

Reality reasons, more black youths going around in gangs, more Crime reported in specific areas with those particular gangs fitting descriptions etc. I can 100% guarantee that any cops in the UK, I know or any Gardaí i know are not targeting anyone based on the colour of their skin, they are targeting crime and following the evidence, it the evidence leads to a black person it's not racist, it could easily be a white person.

I have worked exclusively with members of The BAME community, I have heard numerous excuses, why should I go to school as I will never get a job as I'm BAME, I didn't get that job because I'm BAME, no you little **** you didn't get the job as you went for the interview stoned of your head with jeans hanging around your arse etc.

Hand on heart the BAME people who parented their kids, didn't bring them up with a chip on their shoulders thinking the whole world owes them, made their kids get out of bed and get an education and brought their kids up with a good work ethic, have not had an issue.

Yes there is racism, it does exist. Those who practise it are usually scumbags themselves.

In every society and race and ethic community there are people who are racist and people who play the race card. They all have one thing in common, they are all scum who want everything for nothing and are looking for someone to blame because life isn't like that, if you want something you have to get up of your arse and earn it.

Our governments are actively causing these issues by pandering to fads like white privilage and BLM. What I am seeing in Ireland now is what happened in the UK 20 years ago and its a fear among those in power of being viewed as racist or xenophobic. Yes we need equality for everyone who lives in this country, but, in reality what is happening is certain sectors of the community getting away with everything and suffering little or no consequence for their behaviour.

Look at recent occurances and it evidences it

Debenhams workers prevented from socially distanced strikes but BLM protests permitted to go ahead.

Traveller funerals permitted to go ahead but settled folk had to adhere to restrictions.

To have true equality Everyone needs to be treated equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    It's the lack of strong male role models, outside of sport and celebrity oriented pursuits. If you have no father figure in your life, once you hit puberty you tend to start running with the Alpha Dog in the local gang.

Those that are good at sport are lucky. They will hopefully work under a coach/manager who provides a stable role model and in certain sports learn to work as part of a team to achieve positive goals.

With Music/Acting you are again often relying on an innate talent that a minuscule percentage of people of ANY race possess.

None are realistic goals for the average person.

Education is everything. And role models in blue and white - I'm happy to change this expression - collar careers are needed too. Unfortunately, in many black communities working hard to earn an education is viewed as "acting white."

The very same factors are present in poorer, disadvantaged groups everywhere. Whether the child is white or black, the likelihood is that the same trends will reveal themselves in that community.
    The same stigma that attaches itself in Ireland to coming from a "rough area" is present in the black pronects and white trailer parks in the US.
    An extra component for blacks is the fact that they are a minority in a majority white country so there is a natural tribalism that permeates the majority culture that tends to pick one of their own rather than an equally qualified black alternative.
    In itself it's more about who they are more comfortable to work with. There may be a racism element to such choices but it may also be down to a preference or expectation that they will gel better with someone of their own culture. The very same tendencies occur in black or Asian groups. Where it causes extra harm in the case of blacks is that the power and wealth generally rests with the majority group so the opportunities open to black people are more limited as a result... cultural differences have a major role to play.. the "acting white" or "uncle Tom" moniker is a good example of these cultural preferences..

Advertisement