Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

When it was given a name it should have been BLM2. That would have avoided all the noise that distracts from BLM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Cupatae wrote: »
    It is a black vs white issue, the only time it's not is when it's called out , look at all the speeches for GF they screamed "we learned voilence from you the white man so don't complain when we get voilent" and "if it was a white man we d have CNN here and the president" ECT ECT

But ya it's not about black v white deluded yourself what ever way suits keep up the good fight for the poor struck down black people, none of there problems are self made it's all someone else's fault all the system..

What you are saying here is highly suggestive of a lack of empathy or understanding of the history of society in US and overseas. I can't really argue to you if you don't ask questions yourself. Have you ever talked to black person about any of this or how they feel? Just a shot in the dark, you haven't.

You're actually suggesting black people just whine about their lives, and aren't making a serious point here.

And no, the bigger issue of the protests is police force. It's lending to a larger discussion about racism, but all of this has stemmed from specific incidences of undue and extreme police aggression and death.

You're actually making me upset the more I read your post. I know Boards has a lot of quickfire roundabout nonsense, but this is actually representative of a deeper ignorance that feels so big it's hard to know where it gets unlearned.
    none of there problems are self made it's all someone else's fault all the system..
    Come on man. These are human beings. Try to force a sliver of empathy. This is kind of heartbreaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ireland doesn’t fair well when it comes to complaints about racism

70-B8-BAED-93-BC-4-AF6-A6-AD-B8942-EB0-BEC1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

faceman wrote: »
    https://i.postimg.cc/Yhsmzqyb/70-B8-BAED-93-BC-4-AF6-A6-AD-B8942-EB0-BEC1.jpg

Ireland doesn't like to be called out over it either. Always responses of denial and contempt when it's brought up. It feels like a huge ask for people to just pause and listen to people's experiences, and maybe consider that words and actions can seriously hurt some. Even just accepting that it's truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Blacks and mostly the trendy lefties never stopped until they had a black president.

How come that didn't seem to improve issues in the USA?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1268898468766134279.html

Worth a read, never realised there was such a difference in single parent families.
    Also black immigrants earn much much more than black Americans.

Is racism an excuse for many?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The fact that people are taking this seriously is absurd. It's a survey of peoples feelings, not realities. There is absolutely nothing scientific about it. When you consider the very low bar for what's considered racist these days, it's devalued even more. Just because someone feels something is racist, doesn't make it so. Anyone who has used any social media for more than a few minutes should know that by now.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

iamstop wrote: »
    If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
    2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
    3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

It is a fair point and well made. But as with any cause there is a lot of bandwagon jumping and diluting of 'the black lives matter' slogan.

https://twitter.com/influencersitw/status/1268916126190272514

Also corporate American get's cynically behind a cause 'black lives matter'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/business/media/companies-marketing-black-lives-matter-george-floyd.html

Mainly because it is aimed at the affluent white women market, who can now feel good about spending.

I was thinking myself the last week or so about American politics and the creation of narrative on both sides. Fascinating to watch.

The twisting of the phrase into 'all lives matter' as meaning it is taking the piss out of out black lives matter is harmful.
    Now no-one can say that 'all lives matter' in any context for fear they are branded racist. Just because of a few taking the mick?

Plus in this day and age people's language is scrutinised more than ever before. Even innocent phrasing and it ironically becomes an oppressive form all of its own.

People use cliched phrases/assumptions to try and shut down discussion and win arguments. It can get silly.

Example having qualifications = assumption of 'white privilege'

Or Martin Luther King quote that 'riots are the language of the unheard'. I heard a protester shout this.
    I did not think that when there was the love ulster riot protests of 2006 in Dublin.
    Where those people unheard or just thugs?

I even heard one activist commenting on the current American riots claim the use of the word 'thug' is racist.
    I remember calling members of Republican SF thugs for the love ulster riots.
    Is that not racist because I happen to be Irish and white, and they happened to be Irish and White?

In my view in most protests there are always people who are genuine, others looking for a moral high ground, others cynically exploiting it for branding, and some who want to just wreck the gaff.

Personally I think the slogan 'black lives matter' is a terrible slogan as it is divisive. Surely it should be colour blind / love one another? Or something to that effect.

Can you imagine if there was a 'traveller's lives matter' hashtag for a traveller death. Example when John "Frog" Ward was shot dead by a farmer in 2004?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Allow me to explain why this is nonsense. American society is a gun society where even normal disputes can escalate quickly. The cops are on the front line and learn casual brutality quickly. They are very quick to shoot or assault and are very careless of anyone and everyone. They will kill you black, white or green in a heartbeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The fact that people are taking this seriously is absurd. It's a survey of peoples feelings, not realities. There is absolutely nothing scientific about it. When you consider the very low bar for what's considered racist these days, it's devalued even more. Just because someone feels something is racist, doesn't make it so. Anyone who has used any social media for more than a few minutes should know that by now.

So you’re saying racism doesn’t exist then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Truthvader wrote: »
    Allow me to explain why this is nonsense. American society is a gun society where even normal disputes can escalate quickly. The cops are on the front line and learn casual brutality quickly. They are very quick to shoot or assault and are very careless of anyone and everyone. They will kill you black, white or green in a heartbeat

Unluckily for young black men they have a habit of escalating bad behavior. If they learned a few basics they would actually control their encounters with Police.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Hashtags of all colours and creeds can go where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hashtags of all colours and creeds can go where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned.
    Indeed.

I made the mistake of listening to the harrowing account from witnesses of the hate attack and stabbing of the teenager down in Cork on the radio earlier this morning. Note (as if it has to be stated): not RTE radio.
    So no more of these crap hashtags of #blackbusfaresmatters etc.
    There should really only be one hashtag: #all_lives_really_do_matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you’re saying racism doesn’t exist then?

Considering a few years ago there was supposed to be s cut to funding migrants groups /centres then all of a sudden there was claims of the raise in hate crimes and Racism but yet no prosecutions or court cases ,

Does anyone remember the lady who died in a car full of fuel cans it was claimed she was selling it ,
    The car caught fire and she unfortunately died followed by protests and marching on the local Garda station screaming and Raving at a race attack ,and claims of blacks seeing a white man fleeing the attack ,

There was no attack, there was no white persons involved but yet it was a racist attack .

Go on to social media and see young Africans posting how they didn't get a job after an interview first comments tend to be there all Racists why would you want to work for them ,we all know why you do didn't get the job report them for Racism,
    Get on any bus in tallaght or Luas and watch gangs of young Africans walk on and pay no fare or have no tickets (Luas) the first words out of their mouths your Racists why are you stopped me us ,it's because we're black call the cops the driver is a racist,

The word is a weapon for a minority to get away with Murder and other situations .

While I believe there is Racism in every country I think it's massively overblown and stated by funded groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

... He could be a doctor for all you know. ...... Ridiculous.
    So you are telling me that this man, who had great difficulty in explaining his reasons for being at the march/show, could have been a doctor.
    The virtuous-ness of this response is a clear example of being detached from reality. The argument that a doctor would risk going to a march/show with thousands of people not practicing social distancing there ......... during a deadly pandemic and while the country is in lockdown is, as you say, ridiculous. I am sure that "real" doctors and front-line workers were disgusted at the breach of restrictions by this virtuous lot while the rest of the country were abiding by their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

silverharp wrote: »
    Unluckily for young black men they have a habit of escalating bad behavior. If they learned a few basics they would actually control their encounters with Police.

Not true. Young poor marginalised people from dysfunctional families with no hope are more likely to resort to crime. In America statistically more of this group are black. Here they are travellers. The reasons for that will take forever to discuss and analyse

BUT to say "black men" escalate bad behaviour based on skin colour is not correct
    Nice rich black men from stable families don't do so any more than nice rich white people. Your view is racist and wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

If you are using the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag and don't know any better or are confused why people are mad at you let me explain it:
    1. The original hashtag 'BlackLivesMatter' was a reaction to a string of well documented cases of police brutality that resulted in the death of a long list of unarmed black people. On top of that there was no appropriate punishment for the police officers involved. They mostly got paid or unpaid leave until the heat died down and continued back at their jobs after that. Meanwhile the families and friends of the deceased got no justice. This sends shockwaves of trauma throughout the immediate community, the country of the US and the rest of the black population outside of the US too. This original hashtag started to really shine a light of the system wide oppression of black people in America and elsewhere.
    2. The oppressors decided that this hashtag would gather too much momentum and decided they needed to water it down and dilute it with 'alllivesmatter' to protect the racist system that they benefit from. And to some degree it's working (COINTELPRO). Every time you use that hashtag you are doing the work of the oppressor. You are being used as a pawn. You are being manipulated into diluting a movement that's main goal is end police brutality.
    2a. Nobody using the 'BlackLivesMatter hashtag is saying Only Black Live Matter. It is universally understood that all lives matter.
    3. So, now that you are educated on the deceitful and hateful and manipulative reasons for this 'alllivesmatter' hashtag to exist you should stop doing the work of the oppressor and stop using it and stop being used.
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

"Am I saying I'm better than you, yeah I'm F***ing better than you" iamstop No eah i mean Ana Kasparian.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Funeral is on today. Any of ye going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

All lives do matter, and no one who thinks so is a terrible human being. I find your logic totally illogical and so long as one keeps making distinctions between whose lives matter more or less because of the colour of their skin, racism will abound. I don’t agree with this at all, it’s devisive and troubling. All lives do matter end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Funeral is on today. Any of ye going?

Think it’s live on cnn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

This is live on RTÉ news now. Incredible

I ****ing hate racism. I stand with anyone who is racially abused. I will NEVER say that black lives matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

screamer wrote: »
    All lives do matter, and no one who thinks so is a terrible human being. I find your logic totally illogical and so long as one keeps making distinctions between whose lives matter more or less because of the colour of their skin, racism will abound. I don’t agree with this at all, it’s devisive and troubling. All lives do matter end of story.

Eh, ye skipped over 2a. there mate/love. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Truthvader wrote: »
    Not true. Young poor marginalised people from dysfunctional families with no hope are more likely to resort to crime. In America statistically more of this group are black. Here they are travellers. The reasons for that will take forever to discuss and analyse

BUT to say "black men" escalate bad behaviour based on skin colour is not correct
    Nice rich black men from stable families don't do so any more than nice rich white people. Your view is racist and wrong

My cover is, its what Ive heard black men say about it. It doesn't help if issues cant be brought to the table because someone might find it uncomfortable.
    I didn't mention crime, just reacting to badly to being pulled over in a car for example. Play it one way you get sent on your way or a ticket for something minor, play it another way and suddenly you are in a cell

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Eh, ye skipped over 2a. there mate/love. :rolleyes:

So this is about police brutality? Or is it race? Do you think black people are treated badly by white people systemically or is it a case that some people are racist?

Edit... I've just noticed you are the op. **** it, I demand the answer. Are white people at fault for bad people rioting?
    Think long and hard about your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What matters are facts and the facts are blacks commit more than 55% of homicides in the US despite being only 12% of the population. It's also a fact that your hero Floyd was jailed for armed robbery. It's also a fact that single mother rates are highest in the black community and education is valued least in the black community.

I am only willing to engage with someone on this topic if they can admit that blacks bear responsibility for their situation they find themselves in.

BLM is just like a teenager seeking to blame their parents, teachers and everyone else for their own bad behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What matters are facts and the facts are blacks commit more than 55% of homicides in the US despite being only 12% of the population. It's also a fact that your hero Floyd was jailed for armed robbery. It's also a fact that single mother rates are highest in the black community and education is valued least in the black community.

Why do you think that is? 'It's their culture boss?'.
    Poor people tend to make up the most number of blue collar criminals. This goes for any colour in any country. Add to that drug addiction etc.
    I am only willing to engage with someone on this topic if they can admit that blacks bear responsibility for their situation they find themselves in.

What situation? Do you think blacks are responsible for how they feel they get treated by a system they claim is stacked against them? I know they had Obama, but the black minority are not the masters of their own destiny within a white society geared to ignore or punish the poor, IMO.
    BLM is just like a teenager seeking to blame their parents, teachers and everyone else for their own bad behavior.

It's actually a rallying cry so people will pay attention to the plight of the black person. If you don't believe there's any racism, that's a different problem you have outside of BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

dixiedan wrote: »
    This is live on RTÉ news now. Incredible

Of course it is. Better keep up that narrative. Oh the poor career criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

While I mostly agree with you certain aspects of American government is also responsible for a lot of black problems over there.

Agreed though that they need to look at their own communities before blaming “the white man” for all of their problems. The stats on single mothers in the community, black on black crime and black on white crime are something that can’t be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

Never seen anyone say native Lives matter,or protest in other cities of the atrocities still going on over the Dakota Pipeline.Or the missing Lakota women who were protesting them digging up sacred lands for an oil pipeline.People jump on the BLM bandwagon from guilt in their history.But racism exists in all countries and skin colors.

Yes the police in America and other countries are heavy handed when dealing with people of different nationalities and color.It's never been right,but looting and burning innocent peoples livelihoods is just as bad.But to say All Lies Matter is awful,is just wrong.IMO

Advertisement