Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap or project thingie?

Options
  • 05-06-2020 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hey

As part of a job I was given a machine to wipe and scrap/recycle. It's old!!

It's an eMachines EZ1601 AIO. Intel Atom N270@1.6Ghz, 1GB ram, 160GB hdd, 18.5 LCD.

I know the specs are terrible but does anyone have any ideas for a project? I know I could put on a target wallpaper and use it for archery practice (that is actually one of the plans) but am hoping if someone here has any other thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

FanadMan wrote: »
    Hey

As part of a job I was given a machine to wipe and scrap/recycle. It's old!!

It's an eMachines EZ1601 AIO. Intel Atom N270@1.6Ghz, 1GB ram, 160GB hdd, 18.5 LCD.

I know the specs are terrible but does anyone have any ideas for a project? I know I could put on a target wallpaper and use it for archery practice (that is actually one of the plans) but am hoping if someone here has any other thoughts.

If you look up DIY Perks on YouTube, he has a few projects for repurposing old laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's basically an oversized Raspberry Pi now so you could use it as a media server or for retro gaming

dont think that youtube channel has much tbh

ive been looking at an old media box of mine (n3700 nothing to write home about but 8gb memory, ssd and lots of connectivity options) and detting it up as a router running pfsense seems to be a popular option

now i cannot meself see the attraction, but thats the one that comes up.

could look at turning it into an offsite backup machine maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

dont think that youtube channel has much tbh

ive been looking at an old media box of mine (n3700 nothing to write home about but 8gb memory, ssd and lots of connectivity options) and detting it up as a router running pfsense seems to be a popular option

now i cannot meself see the attraction, but thats the one that comes up.

could look at turning it into an offsite backup machine maybe?

Think your machine is generations better than what I have :D

Turned my AIO into an electronic dart scoreboard. Not much else I could do with it.

heh yeah i looked up that chip after.....oof

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adyx wrote: »
    If you look up DIY Perks on YouTube, he has a few projects for repurposing old laptops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfirQC99xPc on how to use the LCD as in make it a monitor. It's 1388 x 768 though so the same as any old laptop.

Advertisement