Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change NAT type on Eirs poxy D1000 modem.

Options
  • 05-06-2020 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm having hassle connecting to online services on my PS4. I only just started gaming online with the PS4 and it worked yesterday but last night I couldn't get connected.
    From searching online I think my settings are not ideal. My firewall is set to low but my NAT type is 2 and it should be type 1.
    I cannot figure out how to do this with my router. I can get into the admin panel for the router but the NAT page doesn't have any setting for NAT type.
    Can anyone help me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's no setting for NAT type, because it's a thing completely made up by Sony, and not any kind of networking standard.

Unless the router is ancient, it should have UPnP support. Or add the PS4 to the DMZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

NAT type 2 just means your router is performing as it should be and shouldn't be an issue. Type 3 is the one you don't want.

Having a D1000 is telling me the issue is that you only have ADSL. In that case it's most likely your upload isn't good enough for what you want to do. What speed are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks. I understood some of those words.
    Sorry, I'm pure thick with this stuff.
    I found the UPnP and its enabled. Couldnt find anything on DMZ in there.
    I did find a page QoS with a tab for gaming and I checked a box for 'enable game list'. There was also a list of games for older generation consoles on that tab but nothing up to date (PS4 or xbox one)
    Does any of that make sense to you?
    Thanks for your help.

Do a speedtest, it's most likely a bandwidth issue rather than a NAT issue

NAT type 2 just means your router is performing as it should be and shouldn't be an issue. Type 3 is the one you don't want.

Having a D1000 is telling me the issue is that you only have ADSL. In that case it's most likely your upload isn't good enough for what you want to do. What speed are you getting?
    My Ping is 37, Jitter 2, download is 4.4mb and upload is .4 but yeah my connection varies throughout the day.
    I never had any issues playing online with the xbox 360. But the PS4 seems to have trouble connecting in the evenings when I have time to play.

• Advertisement

My Ping is 37, Jitter 2, download is 4.4mb and upload is .4 but yeah my connection varies throughout the day.
    I never had any issues playing online with the xbox 360. But the PS4 seems to have trouble connecting in the evenings when I have time to play.

~.4mbit upload is poor, they recommend a minimum of 1mbit. I doubt there's anything to fix. NAT type 2 means your router is Natting (translating) packets to your device. You could try adding the PS4 to DMZ
    http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/ZyXEL/D1000_eircom/DMZ.htm

~.4mbit upload is poor, they recommend a minimum of 1mbit. I doubt there's anything to fix. NAT type 2 means your router is Natting (translating) packets to your device. You could try adding the PS4 to DMZ
    http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/ZyXEL/D1000_eircom/DMZ.htm
    Thanks for that.
    I found that setting page.
    Do you know what I need to put in there?

Im actually online right now, I just check to see if I could get on during the day and had no issues.

Thanks for that.
    I found that setting page.
    Do you know what I need to put in there?

Im actually online right now, I just check to see if I could get on during the day and had no issues.

Just set it to the local IP if the PS4. You'll want to put a static IP on the PS4 so it doesn't change.

Sorry, im going to drive you mad. How do I set the PS4 IP as static?

Sorry, im going to drive you mad. How do I set the PS4 IP as static?

Check the router DHCP to see what range of IPs it's giving out to local devices through DHCP then set one outside this range. I suspect it's assigning from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200, please confirm.
    In that case you can give the PS4 any from 192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.253 (router itself is 254), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS 192.168.1.254 (router)

• Advertisement

Ok So I got the PS4 IP address off the PS4 netword settings page and set that as a static DHCP and also used that IP in the DMZ.
    Is that right?

Thanks for helping me out. Its fair sound of ya.

Ok So I got the PS4 IP address off the PS4 netword settings page and set that as a static DHCP and also used that IP in the DMZ.
    Is that right?

Thanks for helping me out. Its fair sound of ya.

Yep, should be it

Thanks a million lad.
    Now I can get my arse handed to me tonight by some little ****.

Advertisement