Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy Watch Active

• 05-06-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Quick question that you might be able to help me with.

Was about to buy my first SmartWatch - Galaxy Watch Active (have an S10 phone) - but just read that the NFC doesn’t work as Samsung Pay does not work in Ireland.

Is this true - I won’t be able to tap contactless with the watch here?

Comments

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Quick question that you might be able to help me with.

Was about to buy my first SmartWatch - Galaxy Watch Active (have an S10 phone) - but just read that the NFC doesn’t work as Samsung Pay does not work in Ireland.

Is this true - I won’t be able to tap contactless with the watch here?

Yes, that's correct. I tried a couple of different ways to get Samsung Pay to work, including ordering a Curve card, but couldn't get Samsung Pay set up. There's also very few smart watches that work with Google Pay.

I switched from Samsung back to Garmin this week, and have set up Garmin Pay, although yet to test it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

This is not entirely accurate. Samsung Pay and Google Pay work with certain cards in Ireland, but not all. This has nothing to do with the watch itself. If you can set up your card to work with the phone, then the watch will also work.

See here: Google Pay Supported Banks.

JoyPad wrote: »
    This is not entirely accurate. Samsung Pay and Google Pay work with certain cards in Ireland, but not all. This has nothing to do with the watch itself. If you can set up your card to work with the phone, then the watch will also work.

See here: Google Pay Supported Banks.

This is not entirely accurate.

Samsung Pay does not work at all in ROI, period. It doesn't work on Samsung phones, and it doesn't work on Samsung watches.

Google Pay does work in Ireland on Android phones, but just because it works on your phone does not mean that it will work on your watch. For example, my Fossil Sport will not work with Google Pay. The amount of watches that do work with Google Pay would be quite small, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Garmin pay works with a revolut card, have used it to pay for coffees and shopping in Aldi. I try to keep €50 credit on the card and the watch has got me out of a hole a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Same with Fitbit pay, Revlout working great. Super handy when I want a coffee after going out on a run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might easier to list the watches that do work.

Does anyone have one that does work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for feedback folks, much obliged.

Think I’ll go for vivoactive instead, as a Garmin pay seems to work with revolut.

beauf wrote: »
    Might easier to list the watches that do work.

Does anyone have one that does work?

I think that Google patched Google Pay with an update at some stage. I'm pretty sure I could get Pay Enabler working on my Fossil Sport before the software updated, then it would just say that Google Pay isn't available in my region.

It's safe to say that Garmin Pay works, and so does Fitbit Pay. Both work with Revolut, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Fitbit pay advertised at AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Advertisement