Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to swap 2 chains? Worth it?

Options
  • 05-06-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 year old Sora drivetrain. After 23.5k km I've changed the big chainring, chain, cassette. I bought a 2nd chain. The 1st chain is just over 1k km done. Is time for bedding in the 2 one? They are KMC X9L and X9. Does it matter that they are slightly different?
    Any experience on which one makes them last longer: sequential or side by side use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just keep it as a spare. No need to ‘bed’ it in, they work right from the get go more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Use a chain checker to keep an eye on the wear on the chain that's on the bike - when it gets to 0.75% wear, it's time to put the second chain on.
    Once you don't let an existing chain wear past about 0.75%, a new chain won't wear any quicker than usual, but if you let a chain wear to around 1% or beyond, the cassette/chainrings are worn enough to wear the new chain down faster than if things hadn't got that worn previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

padyjoe wrote: »
    ....After 23.5k km I've changed the big chainring, chain, cassette...
    23,500kms on the same chain? Sweet Jesus! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you!
    I keep it then. I was just wondering of possibilities and running 2 chains in order to get more out of them.

No, it wasn't 23.5k, it was around 20k. ;-) When I got the bike new, I hadn't any notion how to maintain the chain. So after having done 3.5k, I bought a new chain, it started skipping, dropped a new cassette in as well. I kept it well cleaned and lubed after that. I know, I let it go too long (Kmc estimates around 15k) but still I wanted a first hand experience of how much abuse it can take.
    The new drivetrain night and day, just runs so much smoother. Only one niggle: using Muc Off's standard dry lube and find myself of applying it after every spin as it sounds like it has to be done. It's easy to clean compared to the previously used Fenwicks wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

padyjoe wrote: »
    ...No, it wasn't 23.5k, it was around 20k.
    That's still astounding. I'd rarely get more than 4,000kms out of a chain and that's with regular cleaning and lubing. If you can get 20k why would you be concerned about getting more considering that chains are relatively inexpensive?

Re Dry Lube - are you using it in wet weather? It doesn't last any length if wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I have to doublecheck the mileage on that chain, can't remember buying any chains since 2015 bar the current one. It was some wear on it, I can get the roller out of the plates at the missing link. And now I own a Pedro CC2 chainchecker, so will keep an eye on it.
    You have a point there, I'm better off looking after one chain at a time.

Not really, I'm using it in dry weather. I noticed, in a wet it goes in an instant. Or maybe my mind plays tricks, my 1st dry lube, I had used a wet one for years before. I have a Mo C3 wet as a spare, looking forward to trying it.

Advertisement