Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardeners World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

If you are looking for Monty tonight it is on the UK versions of BBC 2 not the NI version. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Jaw droppingly stunning garden tonight by Carol Bruce, I don’t think I’ve ever felt such garden envy. Beautiful choice of roses, delphiniums, and geraniums.

Picture doesn’t do it any justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

was Gardeners world on this week? Normally wat CG it Sunday morning but can’t see it on the listings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Yes it was on Friday evening. I am not the most avid watcher but have noticed that it’s not always repeated on Sunday mornings.

That’s strange, it’s comes up a couple of weeks later on YouTube so will catch it there. There seems to be a lot of Easter tv shows on this weeknd so maybe GW was bumped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

To get repeats or missed episodes of Gardeners World, smart TV .....YouTube and search Gardeners World 2022 and all episodes will be there, decent quality 👌. Usually takes 24 hours after airing to be uploaded to YouTube. Beechgrove there too and plenty other Gardenering programmes too.

Enjoy

Seems Adam’s moved home and garden! A bit disappointing as I loved his old one and was looking forward to seeing where he was taking it. Hope he gets on well with his new adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Would the real Gardeners World thread please stand up 😂. God I really do love my Gardeners World, I really do think it’s wonderful as I’m sure many others do 😂 😂 . Anyways enough of that (apologies for those who don’t know what I’m rambling on about) and back to tonight’s show.

I was really taken aback by the ‘Abigail’s Footsteps’ show garden at the Malvern Spring show both for its powerful message about loss and its inspirational planting. I do love my purple flowers. I’ll have to admit my garden is 50 shades of purple so it was nice to see camassia paired with the oranges of geum, food for thought as the contrast of the geums really made the purple pop out. Some great planting ideas. https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/malvern-spring-festival/Gardens/2022/abigails-footsteps

Arit’s segment on ‘Vitamin G’ our daily dose of nature has been scientifically proven to benefit us physically and mentally was interesting, https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/malvern-spring-festival/Gardens/2022/the-vitamin-g-garden

I’d prescribe that any day!! I think the mindfulness minute in the spring woodland was so calming it would be great as a permanent feature.

Am I wrong but Ive always assumed agapanthus was poisonous? Just watched Monty happily saw through them whereas if I go near them I’m almost kitted out in a hazmat suit 😂🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They can irritate your skin so if you are susceptible best to be careful.

Only poisonous if eaten in large quantities.

”The garden is where I live, the house is just somewhere I go when I’m cold”. Great quote from Niyla’s beautiful cottage garden tonight.

Never a truer word spoken!

A little reminder that Monty’s back this weekend for the first of his winter special shows.

Bonus episode this Fri 8pm on BBC2 Monty and team reflect on highlights of the last two years.

i remember GW during the covid time and how they dealt with it. Monty filming by himself, people documenting how they were dealing with shortages of seeds and gardening equipment, and how people turned to their garden for solice (and something to do )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Four compilation shows from Friday.

Back fully on St Patricks day.

I forgot all about the seed shortages! It was madness when you look back the whole thing! Looking forward to starting sowing again this year!

Has anyone started sowing yet? I have a years worth of GW magazines from 2019 which I look through as each month comes up (I’m a cheap skate :) ) looks like dahlias and some salads are first up!

I don’t traditionally start till the 1st of March. Usually perennials rather than veg, I don’t have the commitment to autumn sow unfortunately! They usually dry out mid oct 😂 Planning on focusing a little more on the veg beds this year as I’ve neglected them in the past few years and just set spuds. Planning on doing a seaweed haul this weekend. Carrots are on the list would love to set onions and leaks but have white rot in the soil. Have to have a think about what else I’d like!

Post edited by SnowyMuckish on

A bit early yet but with the good weather for the last two weeks we got a lot of work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Lettuce, Chilli's & Tomatoes started so far. Planning on doing a plant sale as a fund raiser for the kids school so planning on doing alot of sowing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Laughed when I saw this thread - I've recently come to terms with the fact that I'm now a Gardeners World watcher!! Something oddly relaxing about it - Monty's soft tones against a backdrop of birds chirping and an occasional shot of his dogs... magnificent! 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Going back probably five years or more - I have a notion that Monty Don started an experiment very early in the series, planting both chitted and unchitted potatoes, with a view to comparing yields months later. The goal was obviously to determine if chitted potatoes did actually crop better. However, I must have missed the episode where he finished that experiment - assuming my memory is correct, did anyone see the episode where he reached his conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Found this on line.

To Chit or Not

In a trial for Gardeners' World, Monty Don found chitting makes most difference for the earlier varieties. “We found that it definitely improved yield and brought forward harvest for first earlies, did a little for second earlies, and made no measurable difference to maincrop varieties,” he says.

Happy spud gardening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thank you!

Gardeners World on tonight at 9 bbc2 due to Glastonbury

interview with monty don where he states he's unlikely to be doing gardener's world in five years time. interesting to hear him addressing the concern that his garden is far from representative of the majority of the audience:

I never thought of him as a sex symbol but now that he mentions it....🙂

He will be missed when he does go.

It's such a soothing, relaxing show.

Monty and the team back tonight for a new season. 8pm 🥳🪴👨‍🌾

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Feels like the gardening year has begun now. First cut yesterday evening before today's rain.

Stocked with seedling compost/manure/moss peat/compost etc and more seeds than I'll ever need.

Off to find a sunny window somewhere to chit the marris pipers.

Advertisement