Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 600cc upwards

Options
  • 05-06-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Sorry this has probably been asked loads of times but search doesn't seem to be working - returning some 503 error.

Although I'm building an XJ750 Cafe racer at the moment, I don't really think it might be suitable for me as a first bike so I'm thinking about buying something a bit more modern to start out on.

This is somehting low budget as I dont really need a bike :) So I've been looking in the €1500 or less region. Not averse to something needing a small bit of work but not looking for a project either.

The usual list has been looked at.

Bandit
    Hornet
    Fazer
    SV650

And then I was also looking at
    VFR800 (5th gen)
    or maybe
    CBR600F4i

Drawn to Ducati's also but not too many of them popping up for lower prices.
    The CBR600F4i also seems to command a bit more cash.

I prefer the idea of fuel injection rather than carbs but in the price range that's not so much an option outside of the VFR.

I know a lot of the general advice is go do the IBT, see what you like and buy a bike after the course or after the test but I think I'd like to get plenty practice in also.

Which of this list would you go for and why - or which would you definitely not go for and why?
    e.g lots of people seems to recommend Bandits but thenI see lots of peopel say they are cheaply built and not the most reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Honda VTR Firestorm.
    Cracking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Honda VTR Firestorm.
    Cracking bike.

Not really a good first bike tho.

Hornets are decent. As a cbr600fs.

Buddy of mine is loving his sv650 as a first bike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Honda VTR Firestorm.
    Cracking bike.

That's stretching it a bit stewy.
    They are an ok bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Sorry missed the part about it being a 1st bike.

CB500 then........

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Sorry missed the part about it being a 1st bike.

CB500 then........
    No - looking for 600cc upwards - for A licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

gn3dr wrote: »
    No - looking for 600cc upwards - for A licence

You need to look at the power more than the cc.

A few here are far more knowledgeable than I and will verify but I think it has to be 50kw or higher.

I finished my IBT yesterday and am also in the market. I like the Royal Enfield twins and thought at 650cc they'd be okay but they don't have the power unfortunately.

You could always get a bike that's less than 50kw and just do the test on 50kw or higher.

On a related note, I'm selling a 49cc Vespa of anyone is interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I have a cbr600 f4 (carb) and love it to bits I honestly can't bring myself to sell it, and I hate carbs I'm fi all the way but jesus theres something about it.
    For a cheap bike though just pick up a hornet be the cheapest handset option.
    All sports bikes hold value I'd actually probably make money on mine if I did sell it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Nabidana wrote: »
    You need to look at the power more than the cc.

A few here are far more knowledgeable than I and will verify but I think it has to be 50kw or higher.

I finished my IBT yesterday and am also in the market. I like the Royal Enfield twins and thought at 650cc they'd be okay but they don't have the power unfortunately.

You could always get a bike that's less than 50kw and just do the test on 50kw or higher.

On a related note, I'm selling a 49cc Vespa of anyone is interested...

nope it power and cc's - check the RSA website

Yes I've seen that bike on Adverts. It looks really nice and I think that would be ideal but it's above my budget. That's some serious mileage on it though.

• Advertisement

This both cc and power must meet criteria. You can have a 600cc bike that's a2 eligible but not a.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

I understand that but what I'm saying is you can have a 600/650cc bike that does not have the power to do your A license test on.

You named thread 600cc upwards. Just be careful of it.

Nabidana wrote: »
    I understand that but what I'm saying is you can have a 600/650cc bike that does not have the power to do your A license test on.

You named thread 600cc upwards. Just be careful of it.

It read different, but yea must be xxx'cc and xx'kw to meet criteria to be tested on.

Yes I've seen that bike on Adverts. It looks really nice and I think that would be ideal but it's above my budget. That's some serious mileage on it though.

In the grand scheme of things it's not massive miles. The irish fear bike engines with any kind of mileage, but they are well able to do it. My 99 has similar mileage and runs like a top.
    If you're building a bike stick to your budget you'll only want to shift it on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Of the options you gave, in this order. I've actually ridden all of them so can expand on any if you like but the 1 bike I would recommend to all learners is the cbf600. Bear in mind, you can't practice without an instructor until you've passed your ibt. So I would definitely get the IBT done first, you'll have a better idea of what bike suits you then.

Hornet
    Fazer
    Bandit
    Sv
    Cbr
    Vfr

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I would up the budget to at least €2.5k. Most 600cc + bikes under €2k are either projects or heaps of junk.

My first bike was a 2002 Bandit 600N. They're very reliable. Many driving schools are using them. They're plenty about around the €2k mark.

If your budget was a bit higher than I would get a cbf600. Most comfortable 600cc bike imo.

The best value for money bike I ever had was the V-Strom 650. I sold it as I fancied a change to something more powerful. However down the line I might get another one. I would recommend this bike but it's not suitable for the A test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Oh ye, I forgot to mention you'll need 2k at least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What about a Ninja ER6F or N?

Thanks for all the replies. A few comments below
    Mjolnir wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things it's not massive miles. The irish fear bike engines with any kind of mileage, but they are well able to do it. My 99 has similar mileage and runs like a top.
    If you're building a bike stick to your budget you'll only want to shift it on anyway

I suppose that fact that the bike has done that mileage shows it is capable. How close to needing major work is it though - not knocking the bike - but that is probably the way the market looks at it here which I think is why that bike has been for sale for a while. It is nice though.
    zubair wrote: »
    Of the options you gave, in this order. I've actually ridden all of them so can expand on any if you like but the 1 bike I would recommend to all learners is the cbf600. Bear in mind, you can't practice without an instructor until you've passed your ibt. So I would definitely get the IBT done first, you'll have a better idea of what bike suits you then.

Hornet
    Fazer
    Bandit
    Sv
    Cbr
    Vfr

It's great to hear from someone who who has ridden all of that list. I would be interested in hearing the reasons for the order you chose - even a one or two word summary for each bike.
    I was really drawn to the VFR - I assume you have it bottom of the list because of size / weight?
    MSVforever wrote: »
    I would up the budget to at least €2.5k. Most 600cc + bikes under €2k are either projects or heaps of junk.

My first bike was a 2002 Bandit 600N. They're very reliable. Many driving schools are using them. They're plenty about around the €2k mark.

If your budget was a bit higher than I would get a cbf600. Most comfortable 600cc bike imo.

The best value for money bike I ever had was the V-Strom 650. I sold it as I fancied a change to something more powerful. However down the line I might get another one. I would recommend this bike but it's not suitable for the A test.

I hear you on the budget. Watching donedeal though recently I have seen a lot of bikes in the 1500 euro range which look very clean and don't seem to require work. They do sell very quickly though. Most are only up a day - so with travel restrictions up to now very hard to grab one.
    I had a look at CBF600 - need higher budget alright - they seem very similar to the Hornet
    What about a Ninja ER6F or N?

They are nice but I'd definitely have to up the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you see a Ducati for €1500 walk away as fast as you can.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you see a Ducati for €1500 walk away as fast as you can.

:) Who knows maybe in the post travel restriction period there might be some toys offloaded and some bargains to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Had a 99 Fazer 600 , that and the early 2000 models look the best if you can get a clean one....great bike really comfortable and quick as ****, would have given my previous R6 a good run for it's money

Can only comment on the bandit and Hornett, always look very tacky to me close up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I love me hornet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

:) Who knows maybe in the post travel restriction period there might be some toys offloaded and some bargains to pick up.
    Who knows, but don't say you weren't warned....

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Who knows, but don't say you weren't warned....

I do like Ducati's but they are too expensive for me atm and I think the Monster 620 is only an A2 anyway.

I forgot to add Kawasaki Z750 to the list. What do people think of these?

Thanks for all the replies. A few comments below

I suppose that fact that the bike has done that mileage shows it is capable. How close to needing major work is it though - not knocking the bike - but that is probably the way the market looks at it here which I think is why that bike has been for sale for a while. It is nice though.

It's great to hear from someone who who has ridden all of that list. I would be interested in hearing the reasons for the order you chose - even a one or two word summary for each bike.
    I was really drawn to the VFR - I assume you have it bottom of the list because of size / weight?

I hear you on the budget. Watching donedeal though recently I have seen a lot of bikes in the 1500 euro range which look very clean and don't seem to require work. They do sell very quickly though. Most are only up a day - so with travel restrictions up to now very hard to grab one.
    I had a look at CBF600 - need higher budget alright - they seem very similar to the Hornet

They are nice but I'd definitely have to up the budget.

Not my bike for sale bud just saying my older bike has similar mileage and no isssues, if they are minded they'll easily do 100,000 miles theres plenty in america that have done more.
    Only thing I've had to do in the year I've had it is a battery. Bring people that know bikes to view and give her a spin you'll know of it needs work. More eyes the better to spot things.

Keep am eye out theres stupid good deals every year mine was under 2k to buy, arse is gna fall out of the market too because of covid.

Get a cheap bandit you'll pick a mechanically sound but cosmetically rough one up for €1500ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I had an fzx750 loved it but was stolen and burned out. A decent cb500 came up so I bought it until I found something l liked. Was written off within a few weeks when i got a smack of a car. Then got an fzs600 not an fz6. I thought it was just to fill a gap until i got something that tickled my fancy. 4 years later I still have it and dont plan to change it unless I can get another fzx750.

The fazer is a nice bike. I would prefer it to the fz6 that came after it. I think the hornet can be better in some ways but found the fazer more comfortable and at 5 10 the bikini fairing works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I had an fzx750 loved it but was stolen and burned out. A decent cb500 came up so I bought it until I found something l liked. Was written off within a few weeks when i got a smack of a car. Then got an fzs600 not an fz6. I thought it was just to fill a gap until i got something that tickled my fancy. 4 years later I still have it and dont plan to change it unless I can get another fzx750.

The fazer is a nice bike. I would prefer it to the fz6 that came after it. I think the hornet can be better in some ways but found the fazer more comfortable and at 5 10 the bikini fairing works well for me.

OP for €1500, don't be expecting to be getting anything 'nice'. Try and get your budget up to 2k and you might pick up something decent. Fazer's are a cracking bike - are fast and have a bit of weather protection. Out of the Hornet and Bandit as a first bike I'd recommend the Bandit. Jasus, I learned to drive on a Honda 90 centretank ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Depends on what you mean by nice. Here is an example of a bike which has had the engine painted navy which doesnt match the bike but still looks nice and might be within budget with some haggling. https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-fz6-fazer-600/24764643

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Depends on what you mean by nice. Here is an example of a bike which has had the engine painted navy which doesnt match the bike but still looks nice and might be within budget with some haggling. https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-fz6-fazer-600/24764643

It's had the engine painted and all the plastics resprayed? No thanks.
    Maybe it looks like a dog but runs sweet for all I know but one photo? Give the seller a ring and you'll more than likely know fairly quickly what you're dealing with. I'd be going for something original looking before I'd consider something like that.

Advertisement