Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 600cc upwards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbr1000f/24996884
    If she ain't rattlin, bulletproof!
    As much go as a lad could want and decent handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

H_Lime wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbr1000f/24996884
    If she ain't rattlin, bulletproof!
    As much go as a lad could want and decent handling.

Yep. Love em.
    So comfy.
    Check for wear where the top of shock is bolted to rear subframe.
    Bike on main stand and lift rear wheel and you'll see play if it's after wearing.
    Collector needs to be inspected as well.

My old one

Screenshot-20200607-113934.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blade1 wrote: »
    Yep. Love em.
    So comfy.
    Check for wear where the top of shock is bolted to rear subframe.
    Bike on main stand and lift rear wheel and you'll see play if it's after wearing.
    Collector needs to be inspected as well.

My old one

Screenshot-20200607-113934.jpg

One of the most comfy bikes I've had the pleasure of owning, but damn she was a thirsty bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

newmember? wrote: »
    It's had the engine painted and all the plastics resprayed? No thanks.
    Maybe it looks like a dog but runs sweet for all I know but one photo? Give the seller a ring and you'll more than likely know fairly quickly what you're dealing with. I'd be going for something original looking before I'd consider something like that.

I had that bookmarked on Donedeal but hadn't noticed the navy engine paint - strange choice for a black bike. I wouldn't be too concerned with cosmetics like that though at this end of the market.
    Nothing wrong with a rolling project like that either.

As for the CBR1000F - hmmm I don't think so - looks like a heavy tank of a yoke. Surely a VFR800 would be a much modern alternative with an equally good rep for reliability?

gn3dr wrote: »
    I had that bookmarked on Donedeal but hadn't noticed the navy engine paint - strange choice for a black bike. I wouldn't be too concerned with cosmetics like that though at this end of the market.
    Nothing wrong with a rolling project like that either.

As for the CBR1000F - hmmm I don't think so - looks like a heavy tank of a yoke. Surely a VFR800 would be a much modern alternative with an equally good rep for reliability?

Vfr 8 would be my choice, let me know if you find one at 1400! Vfr750 maybe. Thing with heavy Honda is the weight disappears once the clutch is left out.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Vfr 8 would be my choice, let me know if you find one at 1400! Vfr750 maybe. Thing with heavy Honda is the weight disappears once the clutch is left out.

I've come across a VFR800 for 1400 but it's at the other end of the country. There's also this one which has been up for > 2 weeks now https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfi-800/24853833

Probably best anyway to wait for a while and see what starts to get advertised after travel restrictions have lifted.

That's a serious bargain assuming there's nothing majorly wrong! Never seen examples that cheap, covid bargain perhaps?
    I'd like to hear that engine cold just to be sure but they are a brick sh1t house strong in fairness. Usual Honda foibles rr etc but a major one addressed there with the stainless system! Iiwy that choice made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Keep am eye out theres stupid good deals every year mine was under 2k to buy, arse is gna fall out of the market too because of covid.

Get a cheap bandit you'll pick a mechanically sound but cosmetically rough one up for €1500ish

I think Covid will have the opposite effect- people will hold on to what they have rather than take a bath on it, and the lower end of the market will firm up.

We bought a car yesterday having sold ours last week, and its the same there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I think Covid will have the opposite effect- people will hold on to what they have rather than take a bath on it, and the lower end of the market will firm up.

We bought a car yesterday having sold ours last week, and its the same there.

You think? It's hard to know. You might have a point though about people just holding on to what they have.
    I'd say there is also a proportion of stuff that isn't being advertised though because people are abiding by the travel restriction rules - as well as people not wanting loads of strangers arriving at their house from who knows where to view what they are selling.

An then you have the government payments or super dole as I've heard it referred to. I think when that stops there will be some change also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Mjolnir wrote: »

Get a cheap bandit you'll pick a mechanically sound but cosmetically rough one up for €1500ish

Mechanically sound but cosmetically rough - you've described my Honda Super Four that I'll be selling shortly down to a tee!

• Advertisement

Mechanically sound but cosmetically rough - you've described my Honda Super Four that I'll be selling shortly down to a tee!

They look nice but not good for the A licence test I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I have a yammy Fazer Fz6 2007, I had a gzxr750 before. I upgraded suspension on the fizzy cause I'm a heavy lad.

I've had bikes for 22 years, 2007 Fazer semi faired, is best bike I've ever owned.

My 2 cent

I had an fzx750 loved it but was stolen and burned out. A decent cb500 came up so I bought it until I found something l liked. Was written off within a few weeks when i got a smack of a car. Then got an fzs600 not an fz6. I thought it was just to fill a gap until i got something that tickled my fancy. 4 years later I still have it and dont plan to change it unless I can get another fzx750.

The fazer is a nice bike. I would prefer it to the fz6 that came after it. I think the hornet can be better in some ways but found the fazer more comfortable and at 5 10 the bikini fairing works well for me.

I see an fzx for sale here in Kerry https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/yamaha-fzx750-fazer-baby-vmax/24826478
    No connection to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I had an fzx750 loved it but was stolen and burned out. A decent cb500 came up so I bought it until I found something l liked. Was written off within a few weeks when i got a smack of a car. Then got an fzs600 not an fz6. I thought it was just to fill a gap until i got something that tickled my fancy. 4 years later I still have it and dont plan to change it unless I can get another fzx750.

The fazer is a nice bike. I would prefer it to the fz6 that came after it. I think the hornet can be better in some ways but found the fazer more comfortable and at 5 10 the bikini fairing works well for me.

Ive had both 2002 FZS 600 fazer, Very very good (I set in new fork springs)

Never used to like the look of the 2004 FZ6 Fazer, There is a big difference between them, The 2007 I have feels like there's much more torque than the fzs, accelerates way faster, smoother bike all the way through, brakes ain't as good as the old Fazer's though. Great bikes easy to work on with center stand etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

gn3dr wrote: »
    I've come across a VFR800 for 1400 but it's at the other end of the country. There's also this one which has been up for > 2 weeks now https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfi-800/24853833...

Nice bike for the money.

The photo of the stainless exhaust/oil level sight window...is there oil in that engine??

newmember? wrote: »
    Nice bike for the money.

The photo of the stainless exhaust/oil level sight window...is there oil in that engine??

Was wondering that myself.

So Hornet and Fazer come out top of the recommendations - probably Fazer actually based on the feedback.
    But the VFR800...... - I've found a few which are as cheap as the 600's
    In my mind I'd probably want to upgrade to the VFR at some point - they seem to have such a legendary reputation. And the VFR is more advanced - compared to the similarly priced 600's
    FI vs carbs etc.
    So is it just better to go straight for one and cut out the 600 middle bike even though the VFR might not be as suited to being a first bike :confused:

And since I started this thread I saw 2 Bandits crop up for 1K.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement