Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a 17 inch laptop. One of these 2 or recommend something else

Comments

there are very few non-gaming 17 inch laptops out there so choice is limited.

if you have no need for graphics then go with the intel cpu one.

there is a dell with an i7 here at the same price

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/inspiron-17-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-17-3793-laptop

all have plastic build quality from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

17" is big for a laptop, but still rather small to be using for work all day, nor particularly ergonomic.

Would you consider a smaller laptop, and a second 23" screen?

May also be worth looking second hand, for the simple reason that someone may have both a 17" laptop and found it too big for them to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

17" is big for a laptop, but still rather small to be using for work all day, nor particularly ergonomic.

Would you consider a smaller laptop, and a second 23" screen?

May also be worth looking second hand, for the simple reason that someone may have both a 17" laptop and found it too big for them to carry.

I need to move into different rooms frequently. My brother has a 17 inch laptop and I always use to laugh at the ridiculous size, but here I am. I have a new 13 inch dell and for normal use its absolute perfect. But for work it's way too small. Also have a 15 inch but its ancient and has a few issues.
    I know how awkward the 17 is but I have no choice.

glasso wrote: »

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/inspiron-17-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-17-3793-laptop

Cheers, I'll take a look at the dell. Not expecting amazing build quality from any of them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Cienciano wrote: »
    I have a new 13 inch dell and for normal use its absolute perfect. But for work it's way too small.

Ah okay, in a similar situation myself, my work laptop is a 13" Lenovo, which is absolutely perfect between meeting rooms in the office and back into it's dock at my desk.

Working from my family home now, I'm in the same situation as yourself as someone else is on the main PC (with screen), but I still have to move about a bit.

I've been able to get away with the 13" as my day is broken up by calls, and I'm not staring at the screen constantly. Low resolution screen makes remote dial in a complete pain however.

Iike Lenovo's business range, T and X series, but in this case I'd be inclined to go for the i7 Dell.

• Advertisement

It's annoying alright. A 13 inch work laptop that's perfect for personal use and a 17inch personal laptop that's perfect for work use. My work one is completely locked down, so no use outside work. Second hand is an option, but I saw a few on adverts yesterday that were "almost new" but you could tell they were well used. Shiny spots on some keys etc.

glasso wrote: »

Was about to put the trigger but noticed "Ships in 24–26 business days". Christ, that's over a month.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Was about to put the trigger but noticed "Ships in 24–26 business days". Christ, that's over a month.

on the cheaper one says express shipping 9th June

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I recently got a laptop from dell.ie, while it shipped within 2 days of being ordered, it took about 2 weeks to be delivered.

I ended up going with a Lenovo IdeaPad L340. More than i wanted to pay buy it looks cool

• Advertisement
Advertisement