Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandwiches

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The odd time when i'd be in an unfamiliar deli and they produced a scabby roll, after it was handed to me, i'd just put it down and walk out. Vote with your feet.

Few times I asked "any chance of some more X, please", the response was always "that's extra" - no problem love... NEXT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

RasTa wrote: »

Laughing at this video thinking of the poster who gave out about needing cutlery to eat a sandwich, what about cutlery to make one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Green Bench Cafe in Montague Street in Dublin 2 does a great sandwich and if I recall, the prices are very reasonable.

Salivating thinking of GBC. One of the few things I miss from working on Harcourt Street. Sandwiches were divine, so flavourful. One of us used head out with the order a bit early to beat the inevitable daily queue!

Nicest couple running the place aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know how anyone eats that chicken they use, whether the breaded type or the chicken slices they have on the deli counter. I'd say it's like the frozen chicken you see in Iceland - contains products from Brazil, Thailand and the EU. Stomach churning.
    Anyway - Cuisine de France bread is absolutely rank, which seems to be the most popular in Ireland, nothing like the bread you get in actual France, Dunnes and Super Valu do much better bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Digs wrote: »
    Salivating thinking of GBC. One of the few things I miss from working on Harcourt Street. Sandwiches were divine, so flavourful. One of us used head out with the order a bit early to beat the inevitable daily queue!

Nicest couple running the place aswell.

I walk by there regularly what’s good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I don't know how anyone eats that chicken they use, whether the breaded type or the chicken slices they have on the deli counter. I'd say it's like the frozen chicken you see in Iceland - contains products from Brazil, Thailand and the EU. Stomach churning.
    Anyway - Cuisine de France bread is absolutely rank, which seems to be the most popular in Ireland, nothing like the bread you get in actual France, Dunnes and Super Valu do much better bread.

And what is it with the undercooked bread you often get in this country? I swear some of the baguettes are closer to the 'bake at home' stuff you can get in supermarkets than an actual crusty French loaf.

And what is it with the undercooked bread you often get in this country? I swear some of the baguettes are closer to the 'bake at home' stuff you can get in supermarkets than an actual crusty French loaf.

yes they're a doughy mess, with no crispiness.

I much prefer the less cooked ones. Hate when one of them is flaking all over you when you’re trying to eat it. The same reason that puff pastry is an abomination too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hand crafted sandwiches

Advertising as hand cut sandwiches.

Like wtf? You'd hardly expect someone to stuck the knife up their arse and cut them that way.

Would be a good party trick though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Last time I got a sandwich in centra the girl ended up leaning into the deli right over my sandwich, has put me off deli food ever since!..Especially with the way things are now the idea of food in open air doesn’t seem very appealing to me, you don’t know what kind of gross unhygienic people are around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Baggly wrote: »
    On a personal note im a big fan of Pig & Heifers Pastrami sandwich. Havent tried one in NYC to compare, but P&Hs offering well worth the money imo.

Their Chicken & chorizo is my go to if I'm in town, the Firehouse in Delgany and Cafe Letterario in Bray also do excellent sandwiches. Avoca cafe's used to do a great sandwich but are gone seriously downhill IMO, not surprising since they were bought out by a poxy facilities company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

salmocab wrote: »
    I walk by there regularly what’s good?

There’s not much from there I wouldn’t eat, menu is quite small but particularly loved the beef brisket or the chicken sandwich. Huge sandwiches, I’d usually only manage half for lunch and the rest came home. He used to make tarragon mayo for the beef one.... holy moly.

Totally OT but the porridge is divine (tops it with this rhubarb vanilla compote thingy), sausage rolls on a Friday morning are unreal and there is a blueberry scone that I spent many a euro on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The 147 deli on parnell st is meant to be top notch, too.... never tried though.

The 147 deli on parnell st is meant to be top notch, too.... never tried though.

Yeah it's ok, I used to work in restaurants in Canada and USA where I had to make all these fancy sandwiches and I've yet to have a sandwich as good as the ones I make!
    Convenience shop delis are just brutal in my opinion, I can never understand why they get so swamped at lunchtime around where I work.
    O'Briens are actually decent, but it usually costs me about 15 euro for a sandwich and cup of coffee!

Digs wrote: »
    There’s not much from there I wouldn’t eat, menu is quite small but particularly loved the beef brisket or the chicken sandwich. Huge sandwiches, I’d usually only manage half for lunch and the rest came home. He used to make tarragon mayo for the beef one.... holy moly.

Totally OT but the porridge is divine (tops it with this rhubarb vanilla compote thingy), sausage rolls on a Friday morning are unreal and there is a blueberry scone that I spent many a euro on!

So it’s agreed I will go there very soon and if your recommendation is anything to go by, often.

Yeah it's ok, I used to work in restaurants in Canada and USA where I had to make all these fancy sandwiches and I've yet to have a sandwich as good as the ones I make...

how would you be making these sandwiches of yours?!

And ff you're ever looking for a new best mate , gimme a shout :D

https://lovindublin.com/best-of/18-dublin-sandwiches-you-have-to-try-before-you-die

Seriously need this lockdown to be over so I can start making my way around these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To be honest it is not about the price (but I guess it is) - it is about the meanness of some of the places. We are post famine Irish and we grew up on Sunday tea and sandwiches. when you go into one of these places and they almost count the cheese gratings going in. It is an affront to the famine.

Any of these deli/ store managers out there - it is about time the Irish claimed back their right to a good sandwich - good bread , real butter and even real Mayo.

Name and shame - so far we have a store beginning with S - but we are happy with C.

By the way - for the Northside , (if you ignore price - particularly in first option) - outstanding produce.

The Food Room and Happy Out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

:D Count the cheese gratings :D

To be honest it is not about the price (but I guess it is) - it is about the meanness of some of the places. We are post famine Irish and we grew up on Sunday tea and sandwiches. when you go into one of these places and they almost count the cheese gratings going in. It is an affront to the famine.

Any of these deli/ store managers out there - it is about time the Irish claimed back their right to a good sandwich - good bread , real butter and even real Mayo.

Name and shame - so far we have a store beginning with S - but we are happy with C.

Boards always protect businesses over consumers so you won’t be allowed name any unless you’re praising them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Boards always protect businesses over consumers so you won’t be allowed name any unless you’re praising them.

Have you even read the thread? Plenty of places named as bad for sambos. Noone giving out about it.

I dont know what your beef is, but it doesnt belong in sandwiches. Pun intended.

gmisk wrote: »
    Juniors in ballsbridge do an amazing sandwich with chargrilled chicken ...it is HUGE and delicious but not cheap.
    Those crappy chicken filler rolls from spar barely classify as food imo.

There seems to be a trick - of making the roll small to start with , they cut it and you are looking going - well my sandwich will not fit into that. Even the poor staff feel guilty about the process.

We got to reclaim our sandwiches - think of the children, or we will end up eating them.

Why does everything have to be hipsterised? A sandwich, and burger for that matter, is supposed to be hand-held fast food, not some culinary farce that requires a selection of cutlery to deconstruct.

I love they way Anthony Bourdain cut cut all the bull**** out.

Jesus - I miss this dude.

That is very pink looking meat. The rest of the food does look great. I remember going to the FX Buckleys over Ryan's one very snowy Christmas and had a gorgeous steak. It was median rare but not bloody, a bit pink but not very. Great pub too.

FXB is probably the best chain of restaurants in Ireland.

Sadly they got a bit pricey over the years - but I still love the concept.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's ok, I used to work in restaurants in Canada and USA where I had to make all these fancy sandwiches and I've yet to have a sandwich as good as the ones I make!
    Convenience shop delis are just brutal in my opinion, I can never understand why they get so swamped at lunchtime around where I work.
    O'Briens are actually decent, but it usually costs me about 15 euro for a sandwich and cup of coffee!

Dublin is insane - 15 euros for a sandwich and coffee - :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Matmania wrote: »
    The cost and quality of deli sandwich's is so wide. My pet hate is paying 4-5 for a roll where they put miserable portions on. I won't mention names but one outlet starting with s puts stuff on with scoops or individually puts on pieces of chicken. You ask them to put more on they say its extra.

Centra begins with C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Matmania wrote: »
    I'd happily pay 7-9 euro for a decent sandwich that fills you. A certain place 7-8 euro gets you a miserable portioned sandwich.

That would include the mug of tea or coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Dublin is insane - 15 euros for a sandwich and coffee - :eek:

Would there be crisps included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Chicken, stuffing and mayonnaise on brown bread with butter pre-packed sandwich.

Pigeon and sawdust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cuisine de France is awful muck but I dont think it is popular per se, its more that they seem to have cornered the market for baguettes and the like in Ireland. Every shop you go into and your choice is Cuisine de France or nothing. Thankfully there seems to be a bit of a bakery revivial going on in the city, Bread on Pearse Street is excellent, few others about too.
    Baggly wrote: »
    :D Count the cheese gratings :D

Some delis are really scabby with their cheese, some even charge a euro to add a small handful of it. Cheese is like gold dust to delis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Pigeon and sawdust.

Nothing wrong with that.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Cuisine de France is awful muck but I dont think it is popular per se, its more that they seem to have cornered the market for baguettes and the like in Ireland. Every shop you go into and your choice is Cuisine de France or nothing. Thankfully there seems to be a bit of a bakery revivial going on in the city, Bread on Pearse Street is excellent, few others about.

There are places to get decent rolls and sambos but unfortunately the sparification of the country means you can get the same rubbish sandwich in rubbish delis nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

salmocab wrote: »
    There are places to get decent rolls and sambos but unfortunately the sparification of the country means you can get the same rubbish sandwich in rubbish delis nationwide.

Our Eurospar has their own bakery section and as well as the cuisine de France...theres a bread selection including crispy rolls like the old style Vienna rolls you used to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Glad to see The Pig and Heifers get a few mentions, lovely spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Yes the Pig and Heifer's is very good. Nice selection of meats.

Advertisement