Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera on Local Network

Options
  • 05-06-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I live in the countryside with pretty poor broadband upload speeds.

I bought a cheap wifi camera (Wansview K5) which is used as a baby monitor.

At the moment, it's configured through the cloud, so when accessed from a phone or computer, the data is uploaded to the cloud and downloaded again to the viewing device. The crappy upload speed means the image is blurry and often breaks down.

What I'd like to know is: would it be possible to set the camera up on a local network so that the image would be more stable when viewing from within the wifi network?

If so, can anyone explain how it could be done?
    I'm using a Mac, if that information helps.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If the camera has a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.123), if you connect to that on your MAC what happens? Having to upload to the internet to download back down again is a massive waste of time and bandwidth and I'd say really not needed. Without knowing the camera model I'd imagine there is a local network option, I used TinyCam View for my little ones but that was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Clareman wrote: »
    If the camera has a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.123), if you connect to that on your MAC what happens? Having to upload to the internet to download back down again is a massive waste of time and bandwidth and I'd say really not needed. Without knowing the camera model I'd imagine there is a local network option, I used TinyCam View for my little ones but that was a long time ago.

I think i've found the IP address in the camera settings, but how should I then navigate to it?

Sorry, I'm not hugely network savvy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lurching wrote: »
    I think i've found the IP address in the camera settings, but how should I then navigate to it?

Sorry, I'm not hugely network savvy.

On a computer just enter the IP address in the address bar, should show up then.

I've used the Pro version of this before, works a treat
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alexvas.dvr&hl=en_IE

Advertisement