Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rewire & replumb(?)

Options
  • 05-06-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a house that is in need of a rewiring and potential replumb.

It was built in the 70's and has had no upgrades to either. The electrics definitely need replacing (sockets have no back boxes, it's the old electrical system etc) and so we figure we'd want to do both at the same time rather than potentially have to rip the place up twice.

What's the best way to do this?

Should we hire an electrician & plumber separately? Should we get a company in to do both at same time?

We're not made of money but I see this is an investment into our purchase so if I have to pay more now for something that will be better in the long run, then so be it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The cheapest option would be to hire them separately. However firstly you need to specify what exactly you require these people to do. You need to specify what type of electrical and heating systems you intend to put in place. There will be a certain amount of tearing and ripping so you will need to have reinstatement works after. That may require a plasterer and maybe a carpenter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

So that's where I guess we're in two minds as to what to do.

As an example, there are two radiators on two party walls that we want to add soundproofing to, so we figure we'd need a plumber to remove them, then put in the soundproofing (part of plastering?), then hire electrician to wire, then a plumber again to stick radiators on and then a plasterer to plaster/skim it all.

What is the most logical way to do this...

Advertisement