Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIM iPhones?

Options
  • 06-06-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting an iPhone coming from OnePlus.

I always like dual SIM as I have a Spanish number and aim as well as Irish.

Are the latest iPhones now dual SIM?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I'm considering getting an iPhone coming from OnePlus.

I always like dual SIM as I have a Spanish number and aim as well as Irish.

Are the latest iPhones now dual SIM?

XS,XR & 11 are all dual SIM. However, the second SIM is an eSIM, which Irish networks do not support. Do Spanish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

Technically they support dual sim (see here: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT209044 )
    However, one of them needs to be an e-SIM.
    You need to check with your carrier if they have/support e-SIMs. It is not very widely offered yet, IIRC. (Open to correction here).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Spain
    Movistar
    Orange
    Pepephone
    Truphone
    Vodafone
    Yoigo

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

XS,XR & 11 are all dual SIM. However, the second SIM is an eSIM, which Irish networks do not support. Do Spanish ones?

There are so many things which Irish Networks do not support on iPhone, and other devices:mad:

Visual Voicemail: Cellular Apple Watch, ESim just to mention a few. Trully disappointing and high prices for what they do offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Cellular Apple Watch, ESim just to mention a few. Trully disappointing and high prices for what they do offer!
    They need to support the later to do the first one. Since the watch uses a e sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Brilliant, my Spanish sim is with Vodafone I'll get one soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    As always Ireland is very far behind, most of Europe has at least one carrier offering eSIM.

I don't know why they don't offer it here, seems like a nobrainer to reduce costs with sending / issuing SIM's and far easier to signup to a carrier.

I did it recently and within 10 mins I was setup on the network without going anywhere.

They don’t offer it here because there’s an infrastructure cost to doing it. Most of the infrastructure/software they use here are off the shelf components and packages that just don’t have the flexibility for this or they haven’t gotten their return of buying this stuff just yet. It’s the same with bank of Ireland. They don’t offer any contactless phone payments (Apple/google/Samsung/Fitbit pay) because the integration costs are too high and they’re in the middle of a 4 year IT infrastructure overhaul.

Another factor in play here is that Ireland is an awful uncompetitive market place. We have 3 telco’s with very little need to compete. Same with insurance same with banking. It’s not worth it for any of them to stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The iPhone 11 (Pro/Max) sold in the Chinese / Hong Kong / Macau markets takes 2 physical nano sim cards. One goes on each side of the sim tray. I specifically waited a few months to get my 11 Pro in HK from an Apple store (sim free) due to it having this ability. In use it is exactly the same as a normal eSim phone functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

bkehoe wrote: »
    The iPhone 11 (Pro/Max) sold in the Chinese / Hong Kong / Macau markets takes 2 physical nano sim cards. One goes on each side of the sim tray. I specifically waited a few months to get my 11 Pro in HK from an Apple store (sim free) due to it having this ability. In use it is exactly the same as a normal eSim phone functions.

Interesting , I never knew a proper dual sim existed.

Where did you buy it from ?

Does it have all the bands for 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Barr wrote: »
    Interesting , I never knew a proper dual sim existed.

Where did you buy it from ?
    Read the persons post again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Just wondering if anyone has experience of any of the international eSim providers that work in Ireland?

Companies such as eSim.net, MobalityPass.com or any of these? https://esimdb.com/region/europe

Or could we use a UK eSIM provider such as EE? Buy one in the North and then use it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

You can buy new physical dual sim iPhone on adverts, all legit with sellers with 100s of feedback. I've bought off them for years, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Thanks for the reply.

I've a relatively new iPhone so don't need to change it yet.

I'd like to use the eSim for data if it were available.

Advertisement