Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does this wire do? 2004 LHD Ducato (behind dashboard)

• 06-06-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭

:confused: Coming from the same branch of the loom that supplies the lower 12V dashboard socket, there's a green/black wire running to a single-pin socket with no apparent purpose. I'm assuming it's redundant in my vehicle ... is it?

IMG-20200606-114250.jpg

I found it floating free when I removed the lower part of the dash (to get to the 12V socket) and the only possible point of attachment that I can identify is a hole up high, on the centre-console side of the dashboard shelf in front of the passenger seat (LHD vehicle)

IMG-20200606-114430.jpg

Any ideas? Is it something I could put to good use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

:confused: Coming from the same branch of the loom that supplies the lower 12V dashboard socket, there's a green/black wire running to a single-pin socket with no apparent purpose. I'm assuming it's redundant in my vehicle ... is it?

IMG-20200606-114250.jpg

I found it floating free when I removed the lower part of the dash (to get to the 12V socket) and the only possible point of attachment that I can identify is a hole up high, on the centre-console side of the dashboard shelf in front of the passenger seat (LHD vehicle)

IMG-20200606-114430.jpg

Any ideas? Is it something I could put to good use?

I’m no expert but I’d guess it’s for an accessory that wasn’t included on your van? There’s a few similar in my 09 Ducato. I found this place helpful when I had electrics problems a while back.
    https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Itineoman wrote: »
    I’m no expert but I’d guess it’s for an accessory that wasn’t included on your van? There’s a few similar in my 09 Ducato. I found this place helpful when I had electrics problems a while back.
    https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

Been there, no luck! :) (only did a search, though, as that's always been sufficient before ... )

I'm used to finding unused connectors in out of the way places, but this one seemed strange in having just the one wire, so I'm curious to know what unfitted option it would have been for, and whether it's something I might some day be able to usefully tap into.

On that subject, I wonder if anyone's compiled a list of sad and lonely sockets waiting quietly behind the dashboard for someone to give them a purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be a light for the cigarette socket surround, does it have power on full time or with headlights on?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Could be a light for the cigarette socket surround, does it have power on full time or with headlights on?

Definitely not that, as that was the target of my mission! Don't know about it's power status, as the vehicle is currently distributed across several zones of house and garden! :)

Don't know about it's power status, as the vehicle is currently distributed across several zones of house and garden! :)

Haha...where's the challenge?!...spread three vehicles out, add some parts for the rolling spares "daily" and a workshop full of half done/blown up and taken apart projects.

Never throw away leftover screws! Put them inna big jar for spares! ;)

• Advertisement

Never throw away leftover screws! Put them inna big jar for spares! ;)

Way ahead of ya, boy! :D Got to use two of them (along with a bit of might-come-in-useful plastic tubing) to fix a limp ashtray [two plastic spring-retaining tabs obviously broken off at some point]

Still don't know what that wire does, though - or where the other end is. Of slightly more concern was finding the other end of the wire to my alarm's emergency deactivation thingummy. Because it should have been connected somewhere on the far side of the steering wheel. :eek:

Again no expert but using a multimeter:

1. Test if it is an earth. If so it's no use for anything as you'll know anyway.
    2. Does it have a voltage when key is off?
    3. Does it have a voltage if the key is on?
    if (3 or 2 ) is is connected via a fuse?. Masochistic way is to take out each fuse until it dies. Then you know what it was intended for - At that point you need to look up the handbook and use your knowledge of Italian ( I'm old enough to have done Latin at school - who'd have known?) to see what it was intended for. I know in my van there are a plethora of possible configurations using the same loom.

That's how I would normally approach the question, Itineoman, but I was hoping to benefit from someone else's experience this time! Nothing has any voltage at the moment, as the battery is one of the many parts currently taking a break.

Too late now, in any case. Because the spares most critical to the reassembly are currently languishing somewhere between Berlin and chez moi I've spent the weekend doing a deep-clean of the cab (who knew 15 years' worth of continental dirt could still be shifted with nothing more than Fairy liquid and a good brush? :D ), carrying out some minor fixes and putting everything back in place. So seeing as I can't actually think of anything I'd want to wire in to the dashboard (except, maybe, some all-round floodlights for late night parking manoeuvres :pac: ) it'd only be to satisfy my curiosity.

Don't chase the rabbit...

That's how I would normally approach the question, Itineoman, but I was hoping to benefit from someone else's experience this time! Nothing has any voltage at the moment, as the battery is one of the many parts currently taking a break.

Too late now, in any case. Because the spares most critical to the reassembly are currently languishing somewhere between Berlin and chez moi I've spent the weekend doing a deep-clean of the cab (who knew 15 years' worth of continental dirt could still be shifted with nothing more than Fairy liquid and a good brush? :D ), carrying out some minor fixes and putting everything back in place. So seeing as I can't actually think of anything I'd want to wire in to the dashboard (except, maybe, some all-round floodlights for late night parking manoeuvres :pac: ) it'd only be to satisfy my curiosity.
    Yes but you're missing out on the chance to expand your vocabulary in Italian - Useful terms such as 'Off side winker relay' or 'Heater Fan' or - a personal favourite - 'Webasto'. :D:D

• Advertisement

Yes but you're missing out on the chance to expand your vocabulary in Italian - Useful terms such as 'Off side winker relay' or 'Heater Fan' or - a personal favourite - 'Webasto'. :D:D

:( I still can't get my head around weird English terminology like "off side" so I'm quite happy to stick with continental common sense phrases like "côté conducteur"

... and besides, one of the reasons I ask my engine to pull me up the Alps every year is so I can hurtle down the other side, park up in an Italian field and small-talk my way around a great little festival there. I'm ashamed to say my Italian is now better than my Irish ... :o

:( I still can't get my head around weird English terminology like "off side" so I'm quite happy to stick with continental common sense phrases like "côté conducteur"

... and besides, one of the reasons I ask my engine to pull me up the Alps every year is so I can hurtle down the other side, park up in an Italian field and small-talk my way around a great little festival there. I'm ashamed to say my Italian is now better than my Irish ... :o

I have fond memories of happening upon such a festival in the old fort at Vinadio a few years ago.

I have fond memories of happening upon such a festival in the old fort at Vinadio a few years ago.

A few years ago? We might have crossed paths! :D I did a U-turn there a few years ago to go back to the aire in Pontebernardo. Only because I wasn't really supposed to be in Italy at the time. I was working in Manosque in Provence and went out for a bit of a drive at the weekend ... :pac:

Advertisement