Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALL PREVIOUS POSTA ABANDONED!!!!TIMBER SIZE QUERY

• 06-06-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

ok so ive decided not to go ahead getting someone in to do my side entrance!!!!

i just happened to see a neighbour has this / see pic ,she seems happy!

it looks like treated 2 x1.

i think 2x2 would be better. Roof is light "Perspex " !!

also the brackets look light , I have a couple of heavy duty...brackets which would be stronger and more suitable ....i know the views already will be negative I could copy this and have side covered for couple hundred , would do the trick!

opinion on timber ? thks

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

It does look a bit on the flimsy side alright.
    But it probably will last for years and do the job that's intended of it.
    The only thing I dont like is theres no cross laths (purlins) supporting the perspex sheeting. The way it is I reckon a fat well fed cat could do damage there if it can get up in the wall in the first place 😆.
    I'd prob go
    Stronger brackets
    3x3 rafters plate
    3x3 rafters
    2x1½ cross laths
    Sheeting screwed to cross laths regularly approx 12inch centers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

super thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Those look like 2x2s to me.

I wouldn't got for square profile timber, you don't need strength in the horizontal direction, it just adds weight which creates its own problems. If you want bracing, add diagonal members, but the sheeting is what's resisting the shear forces.

I vote 3 x 1.5 (75x35).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the other side like?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Thats exactly what I suggest in our PM's but a picture does speak a thousand words.

I'd improve on that by putting a plank under the gutter then another on that plank making an L shape so the roofing material can be attached to the upright timber. The advantage in that is that you can seal the timber against the wall put foam inserts under the ends of the corrugate roofing and make the whole thing a little less drafty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would use 4x2 cls pressure treated timber and some webbed unistut brackets to hold it up . i would use the proper gutter brackets screwed into the wall to allow a proper fall while the rest is level

Advertisement