Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drill recommendations

• 06-06-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering has anyone any drill recommendations? I would only need it sporadically but its something good to always have.

For now, my most pressing uses are for installing blinds (on concrete). As well as that I need to install some mirrors which will be on a mix of plasterboard walls and wood and concrete.

Last but not least, I need to install some mirrors in bathrooms that will require drilling through tiles that are sitting on plasterboard and some on hard walls.

So yeah effectively im looking for a drill that would be able to manage all of the above. So different settings and a range of drill bits.

Ive seen prices range from 30 euro up to 200 euro. If anyone could throw out recommendations and what features I need to cover the above!

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Dewalt the only job invested in one about 10 years ago still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any old drill will do what you want. No sense in spending money on a brand like dewalt if only using sporadically. I've a 15 year old black and decker cordless which does the tasks you've listed with ease.
    That said, I've also a bosch sds which I couldn't be without for heavy duty drilling.

I see a dewalt combi on screwfix for 140 euro a decent drill good value at that price. They were 240 euro 20 years ago. Last for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Personally I would stick with the good branded drills like Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi etc and get one that is SDS with variable speed. I would stick with mains drill rather than battery. Also get an SDS-Plus Adapter with Drill to work steel bits which also allow you to put in screws with the variable speed - harded you press the faster it goes.
    Amazon do them for around 100 sterling or you may pick them up locally for the same cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

What exactly would the difference be between a Combi Drill and the SDS drill? Google searches arent helping here too much.

Ideally I want something thats reliable/good brand and while initially I'll be using it quite a bit to install blinds etc, it could easily be left idle for a months on end until I need it for whatever again.

Is there much of a downside to going battery? I do like the idea of using cordless for the convenience and the fact I wouldnt be regularly needing it. If I felt it would be used all the time, Id probably go with a mains drill but cant see that being the case once Ive the main bits above sorted.

Also assume I'd be be better off buying a set of drill bits with various sizes. What price should I aim for on these? Prices really do seem to vary all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Personally I would stick with the good branded drills like Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi etc and get one that is SDS with variable speed. I would stick with mains drill rather than battery. Also get an SDS-Plus Adapter with Drill to work steel bits which also allow you to put in screws with the variable speed - harded you press the faster it goes.
    Amazon do them for around 100 sterling or you may pick them up locally for the same cash

SDS is too restrictive for OP. Definitely out for tile work!

Combi set-high end, a great set:
    https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck266m2t-gb-18v-xr-cordless-brushless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353

Drill (better than below):
    https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dcd796m2-gb-18v-li-ion-brushless-combi-drill/p89165

Drill (decent - mid range):
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd778d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/268fx

Bit set:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-hex-shank-hex-9-drill-screwdriver-bit-set-35-pieces/619fv

If you are any way DIY inclined, get the combi set with the 887 impact driver. You will thank me down the road, I assure you. :)

dodzy wrote: »
    SDS is too restrictive for OP. Definitely out for tile work!

Combi set-high end, a great set:
    https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dck266m2t-gb-18v-xr-cordless-brushless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p88353

Drill (better than below):
    https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dcd796m2-gb-18v-li-ion-brushless-combi-drill/p89165

Drill (decent - mid range):
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd778d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/268fx

Bit set:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-hex-shank-hex-9-drill-screwdriver-bit-set-35-pieces/619fv

If you are any way DIY inclined, get the combi set with the 887 impact driver. You will thank me down the road, I assure you. :)

I use SDS to drill tiles. I don't use the hammer and with a variable speed you can go slow till you set the hole. Also use the SDS adapter for all other non SDS drill bits and screw drivers. Never an issue so no idea what you are on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is no way that using an SDS drill and an adaptor as a screwdriver/normal drill for drilling metal/wood is as easy as using a regular drill, and that having one as your only drill would be practical.

The OP is looking for a drill that he will use sporadically. This rules a battery drill out imo as you really need to be using it alot to keep the batteries in good working order.
    An SDS drill with the adapter will do all the work he needs and also provide a drill that will allow minor chiseling. I use it to drill wood, steel, concrete, put in screws and other type screws like self drilling screws etc. The variable speed is the key to putting in screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Dewalt combi pack all day long can't go wrong
    For what you want to do with ease.
    If you want to drill bigger than 8mm bits into masonry upgrade to the Dewalt sds bare tool as the same batteries
    will interchange with each other.
    Buy good quality tile bits and 6mm masonry bits and there'll be no stopping you.

• Advertisement

The OP is looking for a drill that he will use sporadically. This rules a battery drill out imo as you really need to be using it alot to keep the batteries in good working order.
    An SDS drill with the adapter will do all the work he needs and also provide a drill that will allow minor chiseling. I use it to drill wood, steel, concrete, put in screws and other type screws like self drilling screws etc. The variable speed is the key to putting in screws.
    No offence, but you're talking sh1te now. Li Ion batteries are fine for periodic use, particularly the new breed. Your 'SDS for all tasks' is just pure wrong.

No offence, but you're talking sh1te now. Li Ion batteries are fine for periodic use, particularly the new breed. Your 'SDS for all tasks' is just pure wrong.

Well this is what I do and have been for a number of years without any issue. No offence but you talking sh1te!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's interesting to read of an SDS drill being used as a screwdriver, but isn't it very big? I've only used an SDS drill double handed, so how does that work when you have to hold the piece with one hand?

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think ive a good idea now.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's interesting to read of an SDS drill being used as a screwdriver, but isn't it very big? I've only used an SDS drill double handed, so how does that work when you have to hold the piece with one hand?

If you were a carpenter then this would not be a viable solution in the long term. I use it maybe three or four times a month and it works for me. It is a bit heavy but the variable speed is the job and I can hold the screw in one hand and drive it with the other. The one thing you have is great power if you are driving long screws or self drilling screws. Look it works for what I do and need it for - one drill does the lot. It's not for everyone as I see and I am just giving a different option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr Mo

Joe,

A general piece of advice. Buy cheap tools. If they break you use them enough to buy a more expensive one. I got a really cheap drill in Ikea for €16 years ago that came with enough bits to do those jobs. Would it overheat and require you to let it cool for a while when drilling into concrete. Yes. Did it burn out and break? No, it's still working today and it has an inbuilt battery. They don't seem to have it at the moment so you might be best to look elsewhere.

What you need to know for your projects.
    Drills come with a variety of features, you can get drills that just spin the bit, drills that have a hammer function and impact drills. Some drills come with variations in speed and clutch controls. Do you need to care about these features for your jobs. Only slightly, getting an old drill second hand it may not have clutch control and you could hurt your wrist if the bit gets stuck when drilling concrete. If you are buying new you shouldn't have to worry about that. If you want to use the drill as a screwdriver too, then speed control will help.
    Drill bits for drilling holes come in a variety of shapes for drilling into different materials concrete, wood, steel, glass and tile so ensure that the drill set you get comes with a concrete bit. A tile bit for tiles is ideal but you can use a steel bit if you need to. You can also get bits for screwing.
    Size matters. When you are hanging curtains or mirrors you will be putting wall plugs into the wall to help the screws grip inside the hole you drilled. It's likely the curtains and mirrors came with wall plugs and screws in a wee bag. Check to see the size of the bit/hole you will need for them. My guess is 5mm.
    Finally drilling into tile is tricky as the tiles can crack. Don't use the concrete bit. Know what read this article.

Woodies has some good drills around €50 for your jobs.
    Black and Decker.
    ROK
    You can then get bits individually or get a kit with a variety. Hopefully I gave you enough information to help you know what you need.

If you are happy to spend a little more for.
    This has everything you need and more for €100. It will also make you feel like a DIY god as you can carry the tools to your job in a proper tool box.

That black and decker hasn’t got hammer action and 10.8v makes it more of a screwdriver in terms of ability.

The ROK would be far more capable. The battery is a bit on the small side - Capacity wise, but I’d have it every time over the B&D linked.

Personally I’d wait till Lidl/Aldi have their higher grade €70/75 ones.

You’ll always need to use it again and again so buy a battery dewalt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Any old drill will do what you want. No sense in spending money on a brand like dewalt if only using sporadically. I've a 15 year old black and decker cordless which does the tasks you've listed with ease.
    That said, I've also a bosch sds which I couldn't be without for heavy duty drilling.

How do you find the Bosch? Which one do you have. I need a new SDS and i seen Screwfix are selling an 18v 4ah one for 280 or so. Not too sure though if it would be worth it.

You’ll always need to use it again and again so buy a battery dewalt.

They’re only a fancy Black and Decker anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

Screwfix have a Milwaukee M18 18v Brushless Combi, it gets great reviews.

Lovely compact unit that is. Two well sized batteries too.
    Complete overkill for an occasional user but great value for what you’re getting nonetheless.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lovely compact unit that is. Two well sized batteries too.
    Complete overkill for an occasional user but great value for what you’re getting nonetheless.

While true, i always think spend the extra, you will have it for years if looked after. I know a few who bought cheap and now they have 2/3 drills, cordless & cored they bring out to for the one job.

Your failure point on those will likely be something electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nock13

Another vote for dewalt

Klopp wrote: »
    Screwfix have a Milwaukee M18 18v Brushless Combi, it gets great reviews.

I had my eye on this which was my reason for posting a link and almost bit the bullet and pulled the trigger but after another user mentioned it would be overkill for an occasional user, I have to agree with him.I still want to upgrade and get myself a new Brushless combi drill, I have looked a few Dewalt and Milwaukee, some come with one 5Ah battery and others with two smaller 4Ah and 3Ah.

I thought I would ask for opinions on this Dewalt twice pack in Woodies I spotted? The battery's are small power wise but maybe good enough for non professionals? Or should I stick to my plan and buy just buy a decent Combi with a bigger batteries?

Klopp wrote: »
    I had my eye on this which was my reason for posting a link and almost bit the bullet and pulled the trigger but after another user mentioned it would be overkill for an occasional user, I have to agree with him.I still want to upgrade and get myself a new Brushless combi drill, I have looked a few Dewalt and Milwaukee, some come with one 5Ah battery and others with two smaller 4Ah and 3Ah.

I thought I would ask for opinions on this Dewalt twice pack in Woodies I spotted? The battery's are small power wise but maybe good enough for non professionals? Or should I stick to my plan and buy just buy a decent Combi with a bigger batteries?
    I like it 2 drills would be handy at times would speed up a job a small bit. Also larger drill can be a bit big and heavy and aukward if you are screwing in aukward places like cupboards
    . Not a bad price at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't need a big battery for a drill unless you're using it all day, but the small batteries are no good if you're also going to use them in big tools like circular saws.

Brushless is also a bit pointless for a DIY drill.

kerryjack wrote: »
    I like it 2 drills would be handy at times would speed up a job a small bit. Also larger drill can be a bit big and heavy and aukward if you are screwing in aukward places like cupboards
    . Not a bad price at all.
    Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need a big battery for a drill unless you're using it all day, but the small batteries are no good if you're also going to use them in big tools like circular saws.

Brushless is also a bit pointless for a DIY drill.

Thanks both, leaning towards the small Batteries now. I have done a complete 180 in terms of what i was going to buy previously, i would be straight in and buy, but now i give it more thought and wait a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Lidl have their excellent Parkside cordless 20v hammer drill in again. €60.

We have 2 on the go, and give them a fair workout, bought one yesterday just to have 3 handy.

You can get a second 2ah battery for €17, or a 4ah for €30.

Still havent got round to ordering the drill.

Was about to get this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcd778d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/268fx?_requestid=238398 but its currently not available.

I was wondering is this drill https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/2710p a big drop in quality or would it still do what I need it for as mentioned in my original post?

I wouldn't even bother trying to drill concrete with either of those unless you have all day.
    Corded sds and cheap battery drill and off you go.
    I think you are overthinking it!!

I wouldn't even bother trying to drill concrete with either of those unless you have all day.
    Corded sds and cheap battery drill and off you go.
    I think you are overthinking it!!

Would the hammer function not do the trick? Plenty in this thread recommending Dewalts like that.

Joe no offense but I would hate to think what you would be like buying a house, If you have put this much time onto buying a drill.

joe123 wrote: »
    Would the hammer function not do the trick? Plenty in this thread recommending Dewalts like that.

Well you'll never see a tradesman drilling concrete with one.
    Take their advice and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

Joe no offense but I would hate to think what you would be like buying a house, If you have put this much time onto buying a drill.

I think I should point out here I haven't been debating what drill to get since the original post, I just put it completely on the back burner! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I see a dewalt combi on screwfix for 140 euro a decent drill good value at that price. They were 240 euro 20 years ago. Last for years.
    not many people even knew about the euro 20 years ago :)

doesn't everybody need an impact driver :D
    Mr Mo wrote: »
    Joe,

A general piece of advice. Buy cheap tools.

thats nothing more than cheap advice.

Buy cheap....... buy twice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most of my power tools are professional grade such as Hilti and Makita as I worked as a professional tradesman for years (many moons ago). Although expensive it is very hard for me to use low quality stuff such as Black & Decker now. In the long run quality tools make a big difference and actually work out cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

I've one of those dewalt cordless 18v brushless types..Dont know the exact model number but it's something similar.

Use it to drill just about anything under 12-14mm concrete or steel.Will drive concrete bolts all day.

Has gotten dogs abuse over the years and still going strong.
    I use a 5ah battery.

Couldn't fault the dewalt cordless.

But it is an sds cordless ?

• Advertisement

But it is an sds cordless ?
    They can be either corded or battery powered. And decent cordless SDS drills are a joy to work with.

Advertisement