Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Cleaver businessis will do what they can to hold on to loyal customers,

so will stupid businesses that are going to fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

can you give us an idea of the level of ppe required.

It’ll depend on the treatment to be honest. Nail stations will have to maintain space between clients so I would imagine every second chair will be removed, Perspex screens will need to be installed. At the very minimum masks will be required for both client and staff, in some cases maybe a face shield will be required for staff given any of them may have underlying health conditions and could be pregnant. All employers will have a duty of care to keep their staff safe.
    In a facial or waxing rooms, all fabrics will be removed so you may need to get ne couches in, disposable headrests, couch roll, disposable towels, disposable sponges instead of hot towels, I don’t know if 2 hour eyelash appointments will be allowed, a lot of threading therapists will be taken off threading if they don’t use both hands threading, temperature checks at the door, waiting areas removed no water tea or coffee offered. Staff will most likely be on split shifts, vinyl or nitrile gloves, disposable aprons. Will staff be comfortable working with treatments that may result in blood spots? Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@the_pen_turner you would be very foolish if you do not take in afew extra customers per day when there is such a high demand for your services, i expect most salones will do that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I lnow exactly how overheads work

you just don't appear to be able to work out who is going to pay for them.

@Graham, dont be like that, there is a time in business when you just have to suck it up, typical irish attitude looking to pass everything on , always wanting a hand out ,

• Advertisement

@the_pen_turner you would be very foolish if you do not take in afew extra customers per day when there is such a high demand for your services, i expect most salones will do that

of course they will. but that doesnt mean they should (or ever could) absorb the extra costs.

It’ll depend on the treatment to be honest. Nail stations will have to maintain space between clients so I would imagine every second chair will be removed, Perspex screens will need to be installed. At the very minimum masks will be required for both client and staff, in some cases maybe a face shield will be required for staff given any of them may have underlying health conditions and could be pregnant. All employers will have a duty of care to keep their staff safe.
    In a facial or waxing rooms, all fabrics will be removed so you may need to get ne couches in, disposable headrests, couch roll, disposable towels, disposable sponges instead of hot towels, I don’t know if 2 hour eyelash appointments will be allowed, a lot of threading therapists will be taken off threading if they don’t use both hands threading, temperature checks at the door, waiting areas removed no water tea or coffee offered. Staff will most likely be on split shifts, vinyl or nitrile gloves, disposable aprons. Will staff be comfortable working with treatments that may result in blood spots? Who knows.

what would you think is the rough cost to put all that in place and what would the cost be for all that disposable PPe

How? For example let’s say we have 3 nail stations 1 pedicure station 2 makeup stations 2 threading chairs and 2 rooms, along with a waiting area.

That’s potential for 10 customers pre covid. So to maximize profits, 10 members of staff.

Post covid you will lose 1 nail station. 1 makeup station and 1 brow chair.
    How big is your staff room? Because if it’s tiny as most are, you’ll have to cut down your staff. So let’s say you’re down to 5 staff members and you can have 7 clients. 6 if your pedi station is too close to your nail station.

8 hours in a day is max 80 clients if each client stays 1hr
    8 hrs in a day is max 40 clients if each client stays 1 hr

Now add in a buffer time of room and station turn over. Pre covid you’d strip the towels off the bed and replace with clean towels, couch cover over and approach the waiting area for next client. 2-3 min buffer.

Now, your next client won’t be allowed wait in the salon, and will only be allowed enter once the previous client leaves. You will now need to disinfect your face shield, the entire bed and door handles and whatever you and your client has touched, because you won’t be allowed to use or simply change the towels. Upon entering salon the customer must have completed a wellness consultation form and have had their temp checked so that’s at least 15 mins onto their actual treatment time so that max 40 clients will prob end up being 27 clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And where do you propose a salon would fit all these customers when social distancing must be maintained?

My partners salon will have half the staff on every day to be able to maintain distance, everyone going to three 12 hour days so already client numbers will be down due to availability. Ladies like their stylist and they tend to be very particular. In between clients everything must be changed and sanitised. Ten minutes is the estimated time for that. That alone is another client down over the day. Not up. Per stylist per day.

The cost of supplies has risen due to import costs. The rent has been at 50% for the duration, but that must be paid by year end.

Expect haircuts to be at a premium.

what would you think is the rough cost to put all that in place and what would the cost be for all that disposable PPe

Honestly I wouldn’t even know where to begin. A box of masks that previously cost 8.99 is now 49.99 on a salon supply shop, the prices will all shoot up so I couldn’t even begin to guess how much it would cost.

• Advertisement

Fill out a form and temp check 15mins?, temp check takes 5secons so the rezt of the time is filling out a form, whats on the form that takes nearly 15mins to fill out

Fill out a form and temp check 15mins?, temp check takes 5secons so the rezt of the time is filling out a form, whats on the form that takes nearly 15mins to fill out

15 mins to turn over the room and provide a wellness consultation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Is that all you absorbed from all the replies? Sounds like you're here for an argument not sensible discussion. I'm out.

Honestly I wouldn’t even know where to begin. A box of masks that previously cost 8.99 is now 49.99 on a salon supply shop, the prices will all shoot up so I couldn’t even begin to guess how much it would cost.

i was talking to a guy that runs a small shop. he had to buy a blast of stickers for the ground , warning labels and info labels for the walls and 2 clear plastic sheets on the counter. all that was 250.
    i would imagine a salon would need a lot more than his basic set up.

all that disinfectant and ppe must cost a lot each day. i bought a 5 liter drum for 60 euro and it wouldnt last long if you were using it every 5 minutes and spraying it everywhere

@hobo, its called a booking system, what i mean is if salones stayed open pre covid for 8hrs then maybe they should stay open for 10 or 12 hrours when tbey open up

@hobo not all the replues just yours

@hobo, its called a booking system, what i mean is if salones stayed open pre covid for 8hrs then maybe they should stay open for 10 or 12 hrours when tbey open up

nobody is saying that they shouldnt open more if they can. this thread is about whether those costs should be passed onto the customer. IMO yes they should

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dentist on Friday charged me €22 PPE charge, told me after the fact, wasn't impressed.

@the_pen_turner, as i said earlier, the cost of ppe should be passed on but not at a profit, if it cost the salon10 for ppe per customer thdn yes i belueve it should be past on, my argument is if a salon is running at 75% of pre covid then should that full 25% be past on tl the customer.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Dentist on Friday charged me €22 PPE charge, told me after the fact, wasn't impressed.

thats a lot considering that they use a lot of ppe anyway and that the place is disinfected regularly (hopefully) . a lot of what they use is single use already

• Advertisement

@the_pen_turner, as i said earlier, the cost of ppe should be passed on but not at a profit, if it cost the salon10 for ppe per customer thdn yes i belueve it should be past on, my argument is if a salon is running at 75% of pre covid then should that full 25% be past on tl the customer.

yes it should.

Can you explain why the full amount should be passed on,

Can you explain why the full amount should be passed on,

why wouldnt it. if i need 1000 euroa week to cover my business then that is 200 a day, if i can only work 4 days then those costs need to be cover so 250 a day. same thing aplies to a sallon. their costs are based on x no of customers a week. now that no is reduced so that new no has to cover those same costs or even the new higher costs

And what about the salons that were open from 7 or 8 am til 8 or 9pm?
    What about the staff who won’t get an increase in wages? Want them to stay 13 hours a day 6 days a week away from their own families?

It also means you do not have all full staff 7/10 so less expense there, so why would you pass 100% on to the customer,

It also means you do not have all full staff 7/10 so less expense there, so why would you pass 100% on to the customer,

Why wouldn’t the customer pay for the expense? Do you think the business should have a fund that 50% of profit made should subsidize people who want highlights done at half the price?

Here we go again , typical irish response, staff can get a pay rise when all this blows over, most businesses are luck to be still open never mind getting a pay rise, if your business was already open 12hrs a day then that all you can do. Dont start asking for ay rises when a lit of people have list the robs and most businesses ave defered there pay rise until nexy year.

How are they getting them at half price, thet would be paying full price , gave you been reading the tread

Here we go again , typical irish response, staff can get a pay rise when all this blows over, most businesses are luck to be still open never mind getting a pay rise, if your business was already open 12hrs a day then that all you can do. Dont start asking for ay rises when a lit of people have list the robs and most businesses ave defered there pay rise until nexy year.

When you’re asking staff to put their health at risk so someone can have their eyebrows waxed or a blowdry, then IMO you’re lucky that the pay rise isn’t coming with the reopening, and being passed down as an expense. I know a lot of therapists who aren’t going to go back to work, as the hours and risks are not worth it.

• Advertisement

How are they getting them at half price, thet would be paying full price , gave you been reading the tread

You don’t want them to pay full price though, you don’t think the cost should be absorbed by the customer.

Advertisement