Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Career : Employment rate and Pay

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can’t ever sit back really - need to supervise PhD students, participate in professional bodies internationally, continuously publish new research. In UCD academic staff get 20 days AL (excluding Christmas holidays) , not whole summer off.

Yes.

As I said earlier, it's IoT lecturers that have the easier job.

They earn more than uni lecturers (top of scale 87k vs 84k approx.), they have far more leave (70 days), and most of them are under little pressure to do research.

A great job.

Mind you, you may have to teach students with 110 points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Many jobs on here that are actually 9-5 or less purely out of interest ?

Honestly now, you bring no work home with you ever, and walk out the door at the same time every day without anyone giving you looks.

My friend has a job like this and although the pay is only in the €30-35K region I am often very jealous of it. No stress and enjoys it

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

CBear1993 wrote: »

Honestly now, you bring no work home with you ever, and walk out the door at the same time every day without anyone giving you looks.

My friend has a job like this and although the pay is only in the €30-35K region I am often very jealous of it. No stress and enjoys it

What job do they have? Civil service role perhaps?

Scientist in immunology lab . Firm is very small with only about 5-6 people in the office each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Scientist in immunology lab . Firm is very small with only about 5-6 people in the office each day.

That's lucky, if they have a nice dynamic within their team then I'd say the job would be enjoyable. There's something to be said for being able to leave work at work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Harper91

I'm a electrician, not going to say it's the best job as everyone is different on what job they think is the best . And what suits there life.
    I never liked office jobs so apprenticeship was perfect. hours are good , no stress
    8-4 monday to Thursday, half day Friday .
    Pay is good and option to make more on nixers .

Harper91 wrote: »
    I'm a electrician, not going to say it's the best job as everyone is different on what job they think is the best . And what suits there life.
    I never liked office jobs so apprenticeship was perfect. hours are good , no stress

What’s good to you or makes things comfortable ? Fair play.

Always thought in trades you had to get yourself to a point where you employ 3/4 lads under you and run the show to make a killing at it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

One thing everyone should do when chosing a career or looking to change, is look at the Salary Surveys. Brightwater is the main one there are others - they go into a lot of detail about the current salaries for the major industries and job roles. There are some massive variences. It's also worth checking the same reports in different countries. Sometimes you could double your wage living overseas.

What I never understand is how so many people start careers in fields with extremely limited pay potential - without really thinking about it. Standard in Ireland is a nurse or a guard, two incredibly challenging roles that have often horrible working conditions, for pretty average pay. OK now of course it is a vocation, and very admirable ones, but not necessarily for everyone. Really there are so many basic jobs you can get that pay more that would not have the daily challenge of sick/dying or basically the dregs of society.

Always thought in trades you had to get yourself to a point where you employ 3/4 lads under you and run the show to make a killing at it

That's true but lots of folk don't need to make a killing, they just need to make a living.

Industrial sparks and mech fitters are charged out at skilled labour rate of €46/hour ish. Out of that 80k ish they need to be paid, holiday paid and bank holiday paid........... the actual salary is normal enough. Most of the eng/contractor companies that have teams on their books charge 15%+ on top of that as their workshops/offices etc all need to be paid for too.

Self employed one man show in domestic land can make a very decent wage but then they need to out the hours in and run a van etc etc etc.

Yeah, gonna enrol on a postgrad online for next month which will take me in a different direction eventually away from office construction job.

Couple of years study part time should hopefully enable me to get into a different sector, or get a little side hustle on the side.

• Advertisement

What’s good to you or makes things comfortable ? Fair play.

How much do you think making a killing is?

How much do you think making a killing is?

Depends on your circumstances. Whatever doesn’t have you worrying about what’s going to be left for bills every week/ month and you’re relatively content

Depends on your circumstances. Whatever doesn’t have you worrying about what’s going to be left for bills every week/ month and you’re relatively content

I agree , I try get away around 4 times a year and a few weekends trips here and there. I make around 60k a year after tax , sometimes more depending on nixers.
    Going to be renting out a granny flat in the new year which will pay off my mortgage in the future.

I agree , I try get away around 4 times a year and a few weekends trips here and there. I make around 60k a year after tax , sometimes more depending on nixers.

Surely loads of that 60k net is from nixers?

Sounds like some job whatever it is with those hours. Slary of about €85K gross I'm guessing?

Could do nixers in my own game but have zero interest in it tbh. Dealing with private clients is a pain in the a$$. Ringing you on saturdays and sundays.

Sounds like some job whatever it is with those hours. .....

Electrician, PAYE also seemingly with those hours.
    85k gross won't net 60k surely.

Augeo wrote: »
    Electrician, PAYE also seemingly with those hours.
    85k gross won't net 60k surely.

I'm not saying I make 60k after tax every year but close enough sometimes more all depends i would say roughly 55k - 60k cash is the key. i only look at what you make after tax,

no point in someone saying I make 90k+ a year but how stressful Is the job your in ? Are you working 12 hour days trying to meet targets and deadlines, do you bring your work home with you to your family, can you enjoy the weekend or a break away without worrying about the week ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Would a degree be a must to get into health and safety? I also heard theres decent money to be made as a manual handling instructor?

Short course too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Trades can offer between €70-100k for 9 to 5, mon to fri.

Quadrivium wrote: »
    Trades can offer between €70-100k for 9 to 5, mon to fri.

Most PAYE tradesfolk are on nowhere near that.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Most PAYE tradesfolk are on nowhere near that.

A self employed Bricklayer on price can make serious money if they're good.
    It wouldn't be unusual for a good price bricklayer to make €100k plus per year take home, as long as the work is there and that's the only drawback (economic cycles).....and the physical aspect.

It wouldn't be unusual for a good price bricklayer to make €100k plus per year take home, as long as the work is there and that's the only drawback (economic cycles).....and the physical aspect.

The weather is a major factor in bricklaying, we live in Ireland which doesn’t help.

Try getting yourself motivated to handle lifting bricks on a December morning, landing at site jumping out of the van to minus 5 :D:D
    You’d be wishing then you’ve the handier number

You can be the best, but the unfortunate reality of construction industry in Ireland is that:
    Someone else will have work that isn’t as good as yours, but he’s cheaper. Which is what 95% of our main contractors care about , that’s the bottom line

You and your small crew will do top quality work and you have your price. Other lads will undercut you and go for a quantity vs quality approach. They’ll have all the resources and gangs, and push you out.

Another reason to get out of the toxic industry . It’s everywhere in it, from the offices and boardrooms right down to the bottom of the food chain with the subbies on site.

Worst industry to work in, bar none. Once you’re at the top as a fat cat you’re laughing. But you’ll do a lot of immoral wrong to get there

The weather is a major factor in bricklaying, we live in Ireland which doesn’t help.

Try getting yourself motivated to handle lifting bricks on a December morning, landing at site jumping out of the van to minus 5 :D:D
    You’d be wishing then you’ve the handier number

You can be the best, but the unfortunate reality of construction industry in Ireland is that:
    Someone else will have work that isn’t as good as yours, but he’s cheaper. Which is what 95% of our main contractors care about , that’s the bottom line

You and your small crew will do top quality work and you have your price. Other lads will undercut you and go for a quantity vs quality approach. They’ll have all the resources and gangs, and push you out.

Another reason to get out of the toxic industry . It’s everywhere in it, from the offices and boardrooms right down to the bottom of the food chain with the subbies on site.

Worst industry to work in, bar none. Once you’re at the top as a fat cat you’re laughing. But you’ll do a lot of immoral wrong to get there

I know all about it, I've been a day rate Bricklayer, a price Bricklayer and a Bricklaying subbie, in my experience builders don't want to be tearing down bad brickwork only to have to pay someone else to do it again so they generally prefer a good quality craftsman/woman who'll do the job right the first time....the speed is up to the individual and the price per brick or block is where the money is made, a 2 and 1 bricklaying gang can make serious money in the right circumstances but like all construction trades/professions it is all subject to economic cycles and weather.

I'm getting out of it due to the terrible work conditions matched with no job security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

Would a degree be a must to get into health and safety? I also heard theres decent money to be made as a manual handling instructor?

Short course too.

I work in H&S

You could do a nebosh course. Look online for information. Some companies would take you on.
    Money not great at the start but senior roles offer six figures .

You could do a MH instructor course but you would need to build up a customer base.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But as my dad (RIP) used to say, it's easier push a pen than a shovel. And the is particularly the case as you get older. So you'd need to plan for an early exit, so the money really is not the good if you have to start squirreling some of it away for the future.

Advertisement