Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ProgTT - Progression Challenge Thread

Options
  • 06-06-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭

The rules are simple. Run each Km faster than the previous one. Your score is your last successful progressively faster km. If you run 8 progressively faster kilometres and km 9 is equal or slower than km 8, your score is 8.

Gentleman's and gentlewoman's agreements not to take the mick with your first km. Should be no slower than your recovery pace.

Enter your result in the table. Category is optional.

I decided to give it a go myself before setting it up. It's tough on a number of levels. I tried to aim for 5:55 for my first km, my recovery pace. Overshot it by 15 secs which gave me a little bit of extra work. The best strategy (it seems) is to increase by as tight an amount as possible. The danger with this is you run the risk of busting out. The flip side is to increase by a wider amount to avoid bustout, but then you're making the pace quite hot quite soon.

Add to that trying to figure out what time you need to hit the next split at, while progressively running faster. Managed 12 which I was delighted with as was aiming to hit 10. 11 was a bonus and just went hard at 12. Was 4 secs quicker than 11 but I was fading by the end of it so hit stop and banked 12.

Great fun, hope to see a few people taking a shot at it. :)

Name|Cat|Distance (kms)|1st Km|Last Km|Total Time
    Lazare|M44|12|5:40|4:20|59:43

(If some kind soul could guide me on how to add code in to sort it by distance that would be much appreciated)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Lazare wrote: »
    (If some kind soul could guide me on how to add code in to sort it by distance that would be much appreciated)

Name|Cat|Distance (kms)|1st Km|Last Km|Total Time
    Lazare|M44|12|5:40|4:20|59:43

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cheers D.

Thinking about a date field, so you could enter multiple attempts. You could see people's improvements.

Yay or Nay?

Name|Cat|Distance (kms)|1st Km|Last Km|Total Time|Date
    Lazare|M44|12|5:40|4:20|59:43|6/6/20

Yay. Why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Name|Cat|Distance (kms)|1st Km|Last Km|Total Time|Date
    Lazare|M44|12|5:40|4:20|59:43|6/6/20
    TFBubendorfer|M50|12|5:26|4:10|52:36|14/6/20

I gave that a lash this morning. Found it mentally tough, especially since my watch was set to miles and I was constantly trying to recalculate into km (lesson 1). Also, the lap pace on my Garmin has a big lag, so when you increase the pace and check the watch 30 second later it might still display the same lap pace (lesson 2). This is a great workout to teach you how to pace yourself better (lesson 3). I got to 12 as well, and with better pacing more would have definitely have been possible

5:26, 5:22, 5:14, 5:03, 4:55, 4:47, 4:37, 4:29, 4:22, 4:11, 4:10

Great stuff!!

It's an enjoyable challenge isn't it.

Giving yourself those extra couple of mental challenges must have been tough.

Nice one, delighted to see someone have a crack at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement