Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable vs VDSL for online gaming

Options
  • 06-06-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I am experiencing issues while playing online. Issues like not getting hit-reg, replays show different picture than the one I saw, etc. I am playing FPS like Battlefield, Escape From Tarkov, PUBG. Few minutes ago, while playing PUBG, with 35ms and 0% packet loss (up & down) I had an insident where bullets gone through players heads (I recorded video to make sure this happened). I even have my own personal series of videos in YouTube with title "Where did the bullet go?", where you can clearly see such occasions.

My equipment is not "state-of-the-art" but is definitely not the "default".
    My house is wired with CAT6A cables, I have a 32 port 3Com managed switch, an expensive router and using my cable modem, only as a modem.

Also, while I play, nobody else is using the connection, I chose to play when they are away, or sleeping.

My connection is Virgin Media, I don't have any issues in general, except gaming. My friends I play with, are mostly in Greece, with crappy ADSL 12Mbps, bad infrastructure and they do not experience so many issues.

I am trying to figure out why this is happening and I am not sure if the multi-channel cable connection affects gaming, or not.

Anybody has similar experience, or better knowledge on this matter? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Which game was it in? Most likely the game servers rather than you 35ms is grand for gaming.

You could go direct to the modem but is it all games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Which game was it in? Most likely the game servers rather than you 35ms is grand for gaming.

You could go direct to the modem but is it all games ?
    It happens in all games, most of the times.
    I am connected directly to the router and this to the modem with 1Gpbs speed and internally with 0 problems (<1ms ping, 0 packet loss)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I play a quite a bit of PUBG. Packet loss is a common problem with their servers - they apparently get a lot of DDoS attacks. It's also not unheard of for there to be desync/netcode issues although I think I've been relatively lucky on that front.

Anyway - all I'm saying is definitely don't use PUBG as a benchmark. Great game but not renowned for consistency or stability!

Anyway - all I'm saying is definitely don't use PUBG as a benchmark. Great game but not renowned for consistency or stability!
    True, but even for EFT, that doesn't have such issues, sometimes it is annoying... You cannot empty a 30 bullet mag at point blank and get 2-3 hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭KildareP

Wizard! wrote: »
    True, but even for EFT, that doesn't have such issues, sometimes it is annoying... You cannot empty a 30 bullet mag at point blank and get 2-3 hits.

Virgin's Hub 3 is impacted by the Intel puma bug one of the effects of which is latency spikes.

Bridging the modem improves but doesn't eliminate the issue completely.

Unfortunately the Hub 3 is all they seem to be issuing at present so moving to another ISP is your only option.

• Advertisement

KildareP wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Hub 3 is all they seem to be issuing at present so moving to another ISP is your only option.
    Yeap, I tried to switch it with another one, and it is MAC locked.
    I also asked Netgear if one of their models support MAC Spoofing, but never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yeap, I tried to switch it with another one, and it is MAC locked.
    I also asked Netgear if one of their models support MAC Spoofing, but never got back to me.

MAC cloning is supported on most cable routers.
    If it wasn't there's be no market for any 3rd party cable routers as they'd all be locked down to provider supplied only.

banie01 wrote: »
    MAC cloning is supported on most cable routers.
    If it wasn't there's be no market for any 3rd party cable routers as they'd all be locked down to provider supplied only.

Any suggestions?
    I did a research yesterday, but the ones that have good reviews, are mostly available in US, therefore I am not sure they will work with Virgin Media.
    Also, most of them, are feat-loaded routers, but I only need a modem... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭KildareP

Any suggestions?
    I did a research yesterday, but the ones that have good reviews, are mostly available in US, therefore I am not sure they will work with Virgin Media.
    Also, most of them, are feat-loaded routers, but I only need a modem... :rolleyes:

Virgin won't provision a modem not supplied to them on their network.

Your only options are:
    - Put up with it until they bring out a new model of hub
    - See will they downgrade you to an older modem (unlikely)
    - Switch to another ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Any suggestions?

Kildare P's info on provisioning seems more accurate than my own.
    If VM are also enabling a provisioning protocol other than MAC allocation, then you are stuck with just bridging.

I run a hub 3, bridged to an Asus rt-ac86 and it runs fine.
    That said, I don't play a lot of FPS or reflex games these days.
    Puma packet loss could well be your issue but on pubg or Fortnite with a bridged modem.

I'd lean towards server side issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement