Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV recent purchase query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

That was first thing I tried :) the throughput of the server running Plex gets about 90mb/s when copying a file from it to my PC over then lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mk7r

stevek93 wrote: »
    35mb/s a second? That is impossible over 10/100 the maximum throughput is 12.5mb/s a second with TCP/IP overhead the actual throughput would probably be more like 10mb/s. Again my point being if 35mb/s is required then 1gbps is needed.

A 10/100 will easily do 70 mb/s (megabits) 4k video needs about 35 mb/s (megabits) TCP/IP overhead is extremely negligible... I'm not sure are you mixing up megabits with megabytes?

mk7r wrote: »
    A 10/100 will easily do 70 mb/s (megabits) 4k video needs about 35 mb/s (megabits) TCP/IP overhead is extremely negligible... I'm not sure are you mixing up megabits with megabytes?

If you are referring to bits then you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This is my router its not crap :D

You just gave me shivers by posting that. In my last job I ran a project to swap about 80 of those out for Merakis. Nobody in that place had a good word to say about them.

OP, now I've not looked into this in a while but iirc the vast majority of TVs only have a 10/100 port. Maybe this years models have but up to this year I can't even tell you one that has a gig port. I don't think you'll get much joy with a different model anyway. Either way, it shouldn't be an issue, I stream full fat 4k media across my LAN to my Pana's (2016 model) native player app without a hiccup - never thought to try the Plex app.

theteal wrote: »
    You just gave me shivers by posting that. In my last job I ran a project to swap about 80 of those out for Merakis. Nobody in that place had a good word to say about them.

OP, now I've not looked into this in a while but iirc the vast majority of TVs only have a 10/100 port. Maybe this years models have but up to this year I can't even tell you one that has a gig port. I don't think you'll get much joy with a different model anyway. Either way, it shouldn't be an issue, I stream full fat 4k media across my LAN to my Pana's (2016 model) native player app without a hiccup - never thought to try the Plex app.

Oh god :D I suppose I am not hammering it with 200+ clients so I should be fine, the GUI is pretty much useless everything I need to do through CLI but that is fine I don't mind that it is much better than my old home Cisco router running DDWRT. what issues were the company was having?

Yes upon wiritng this post I have yet to find a TV with a gibabit port I initially thought it was just my model but after much googling a unicorn would be easier to find.

What is the bitrate you are streaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Oh god :D I suppose I am not hammering it with 200+ clients so I should be fine, the GUI is pretty much useless everything I need to do through CLI but that is fine I don't mind that it is much better than my old home Cisco router running DDWRT. what issues were the company was having?

There was a handful of failures but tbh most of the guys were lifelong cisco disciples so the slight change of syntax was their bugbear. They were only small inconvenient inherited sites anyway so just devoting time on them was annoying when we had much larger more priority stuff to be dealing with - hence they're all Meraki now and the junior guys can handle them. Anyway, sorry to derail, the image just gave me a flashback.
    Yes upon wiritng this post I have yet to find a TV with a gibabit port I initially thought it was just my model but after much googling a unicorn would be easier to find.

What is the bitrate you are streaming?

Regretfully, I can't say I checked tbh. All I can say is I'm thinking of the likes of Blade Runner 2049 and Avengers that are between 60-100gb files iirc and they played without a hiccup.

theteal wrote: »
    There was a handful of failures but tbh most of the guys were lifelong cisco disciples so the slight change of syntax was their bugbear. They were only small inconvenient inherited sites anyway so just devoting time on them was annoying when we had much larger more priority stuff to be dealing with - hence they're all Meraki now and the junior guys can handle them. Anyway, sorry to derail, the image just gave me a flashback.

Regretfully, I can't say I checked tbh. All I can say is I'm thinking of the likes of Blade Runner 2049 and Avengers that are between 60-100gb files iirc and they played without a hiccup.

Its like replacing Windows to Linux for end users, I know of a Irish bank that done a rollout to Ubuntu 6 months later a rollout again back to Windows.

Everything I studied over the past 10 years has been Cisco always Cisco everywhere Cisco but I am always happy to learn something new, primary reason why I went with the ubiquiti gear is its cheaper and I needed something racked mounted look at their entry level routers $60 combined with their APs its a good deal.

My Plex server is offline past few days the PSU has been pulled from it put into a another machine so I can't tell what mine are at the moment, but I do know the effected media played fine using the web client or Windows app.

Ok this got interesting I contacted Powercity about this before I know 1gbps ports on TVs wasnt a thing, I've now got a text from bav.ie for a repair of my TV I am going to reply and see what their solution is.

Advertisement