Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've noticed the local bookies have signs setting out their capacity limits. Imagine the poor fecker who has to wait outside.

Why is there a need for these, can't it all be done online these days?

(Have never been in one so dunno what would be missed by only being online)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

So people won’t be allowed to browse in shops like before. How is this going to work? Walk up to customers in shop & say your time is up?? Can’t see it working in Penneys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

kenmc wrote: »
    How or when was shopping ever craic? The ultimate chore and gigantic time waste. Best thing about this pandemic is the amount of time not spent driving to and around carparks for "leisure".

You do realise that other people have different interests than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I assume all changing rooms will be closed so not much benefit going in to a shop for clothes purchases when you can avoid all the hassle of waiting in a q and having to move around inside like Pac-Man by shopping from home. The additional benefit of distance selling allows you the return items bought online for whatever reason you like. Any retailer here not online is crazy.

I won't be going to the shops tomorrow but I am planning on going to Brown Thomas next weekend. I've already been to Tesco Extra a few times, a browse around Boots and M&S have a small selections of stock open so was there yesterday. I had to return things and thought I'd have a look around. Even got a takeaway coffee there.
    Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I'm staying a phase behind and going to a nice relaxing garden centre for the first time while you're all off panic buying in Pennys !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

phormium wrote: »
    Only shopping I'll be doing is driving to a bigger diy shop in a neighbouring town now that I can. Won't be hitting the high street anytime soon!

You always could for essential purchases....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, I won't. I'll be in Dublin tomorrow alright but won't be doing any shopping. I like to get in and out and can't stand queuing so as it is I do my grocery shopping at 8:30 when Dunnes opens.
    Amazon UK has been getting a lot of my business for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'll have a wander into town later in the week, more out of interest and have a decent coffee :)

Retail shopping is going to be weird for a while, who's going to provide the best queuing experience?!

Pre-booking time slots via apps is going to be a big thing in the immediate future, makes sense - no one wants to go into town to queue for multiple shops.

I had a pre booked appointment the other day. Nearly got lynched by the walk ins when I went to the top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

No

Don't need anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope, I won't. I'll be in Dublin tomorrow alright but won't be doing any shopping. I like to get in and out and can't stand queuing so as it is I do my grocery shopping at 8:30 when Dunnes opens.
    Amazon UK has been getting a lot of my business for the rest.

Supporting the UK economy and a billionaire
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone queuing outside a non essential store should be arrested. Not for breach of regs, but under the mental health act :pac: It's going to be absolute madness.

Will for sure be letting things settle for a week or two before I tackle anything other than Tesco.
    We've lasted 3 months, another 10 or 14 days isn't insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I won't be going near a shop apart from a supermarket unless I'm desperate for something for the foreseeable. The queuing and the restrictions just aren't worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

tamara25 wrote: »
    So people won’t be allowed to browse in shops like before. How is this going to work? Walk up to customers in shop & say your time is up?? Can’t see it working in Penneys

I do wonder how it will work.
    Let’s just pretend you want a coat in few weeks and you head to the shops. Very few people will go in a pick up the first one you see and head home.
    It’s not the same a grocery shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I had a pre booked appointment the other day. Nearly got lynched by the walk ins when I went to the top of the queue.

Which shop was that?(if you don’t mind my asking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

daheff wrote: »
    You always could for essential purchases....

Very little of my diy could be classed as essential :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ZX7R wrote: »
    Yes but I'm anticipating the MacDonald's brigade to be out in full force tomorrow

Indeed.
    I love close to one of the drive-thrus that are open and I've seen people join the 30-40 line queue in gocars.

Some people are desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've always been curious as to the difference between a booked appointment and a pre-booked appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I won’t anytime. Have managed well ordering from Holland and Barrett and a few bits from lifestyle sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I assume all changing rooms will be closed so not much benefit going in to a shop for clothes purchases

BT are going to have changing rooms open, all clothes will be steamed overnight before returning to the shelves! So I would hope everywhere else is doing the same, no trying on something is feckin ridicilous.
    when you can avoid all the hassle of waiting in a q and having to move around inside like Pac-Man by shopping from home. The additional benefit of distance selling allows you the return items bought online for whatever reason you like. Any retailer here not online is crazy.

The major drawback of that being that brand name clothing is virtually always more expensive online. Not to mention there is no way to ascertain the warmth of a coat or the feel of trackies/ jeans without trying them on.

Online shopping is by and large for suckers, save for the odd ridiculously cheap bit of clobber on mandmdirect or Sports Direct. There's a site that does beautiful gear called 80's Casual Classics, yet I've bought some of the Sergio Tacchini gear they sell for 70 plus quid for 20 in Champion Sports.

I'm hoping Tommy Hilfiger in town have a few winter jackets left that they're desperate to shift, given they shut in late March.

I won't be in til at least Saturday however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I wonder how TK Maxx will fare? It’s the ultimate “browsing” shop !! Who ever goes into TK Maxx knowing exactly what they want ? :D

An overpriced unfashionable absolute chaotic ****show of an establishment. I have no idea how they sell anything, most of it looks like your da's disco clobber. Sort of stuff you'd see country oul fellas wearing at a line dancing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I actually need to get some clothes, as stuff does wear out. Not a hope in hell I'd go in to the madness tomorrow, though - Wednesday or Thursday afternoon at the earliest I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Supporting the UK economy and a billionaire
    Well done

Such sentiments are lost on me I'm afraid. If I could get the same stuff at anywhere near the same price, range, and speed locally I would consider it, but as a rule I find Ireland doesn't really do online shopping properly and where it does, it tends to be significantly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Tomorrow will be mayhem. It will be like the day Leo made the lockdown announcement except instead of just Aldi & Tesco and dried goods it will be every clothes and furniture store. Front page of the Indo on Tuesday will feature a picture of an old woman looking at empty shelves where the lingerie used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If I'm being honest I'll leave it go a few weeks ago.
    I'd like to go to the barbers first and get a haircut. I generally feel better with y haircut and feel better looking when buying clothes.
    I think things will settle down in a few weeks. Even the local supermarkets are a lot more relaxed now to go into compared to a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

What type of prices are people expecting- full price on everything to recoup their losses or will there be sales? I recall reading Marks lost lots of money having their summer season stock sitting there, which I imagine is the same for many stores, but online there’s not many sales at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about to shop tomorrow. I feel like there will be a great buzz about the place, like St Stephens day. I'm taking the day off work for it.

What time do you think you'd want to get to IKEA for? I'm thinking it's probably best to be there from 7 or 8 at the latest? Kids are really looking forward to it too. They love the hot dogs and meatballs from there.

Then in to town to Henry Street!

I can wait another few weeks. Let all the hysterical fools get their trip to Henry Street in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

touts wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be mayhem. It will be like the day Leo made the lockdown announcement except instead of just Aldi & Tesco and dried goods it will be every clothes and furniture store. Front page of the Indo on Tuesday will feature a picture of an old woman looking at empty shelves where the lingerie used to be.
    It's Ireland's biggest lingerie section, I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I don't see how clothes shopping is going to work. You can't try on the clothes, that's the only thing a bricks and mortar store had over online shopping. Add then the pressure of feeling you are holding others up by having a browse and a pressure to buy something as you used up a customer time slot of the store. I just don't see how they will make a profit in this kind of an environment until it goes back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Il be going for a walk in town with my toddler in a buggy but won’t be going in anywhere with her . Just a walk to see what the craic is and will be avoiding shopping centres

Advertisement