Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Beanybabog wrote: »
    What type of prices are people expecting- full price on everything to recoup their losses or will there be sales? I recall reading Marks lost lots of money having their summer season stock sitting there, which I imagine is the same for many stores, but online there’s not many sales at the moment

Full price for a couple of days to maybe a week. Then the sales will hit.

There is a massive amount of clothes in the pipeline. Spring lines will have to be sold at a big knockdown. They will hope pent up demand for summer clothes will see a big demand especially for kids clothes where they have outgrown last year's ones. My bet is they will ride it for a week and we'll start to see sales next week. TK-Maxx will be rammed with stuff as labels try to move stock off their books.

Furniture, hardware etc will be a bit harder to call. Pent up demand will spike their sales this week. But this is discretionary spending. Once the pent up demand is gone buyers will disappear. People won't want to spend until they know what happens in the economy. In a few weeks there will be liquidation level sales in many of these stores.

The one exception could be home office stuff. People will want to prepare for a second wave. I'd expect demand for laptops, desks etc to stay high for weeks and no sales on those until the back to college deals hit in September if even then.

Cars etc won't see any pickup in demand so there could be great bargains. That market is dead until the economy settles and people figure out if they actually need a car at all any more. If you are in the market you could get great deals as garages will be desperate to sell anything they can. But with 202 plates a few of weeks away they will have to offer almost secondhand prices to shift anything new before then. Then in July they will offer great trade in deals to try and sell new cars but will be stuck with second hand cars they can't sell for what they paid for them. You could get the main dealers offering loans at negative rates in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For the next while I’m going shopping only when I NEED something, it’s going to be with military like precision, no hanging around, getting in and getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Klonker wrote: »
    I don't see how clothes shopping is going to work. You can't try on the clothes, that's the only thing a bricks and mortar store had over online shopping. Add then the pressure of feeling you are holding others up by having a browse and a pressure to buy something as you used up a customer time slot of the store. I just don't see how they will make a profit in this kind of an environment until it goes back to normal.

I was watching a news report yesterday about a shoe shop getting ready to open and they advised potential customers to look up the website beforehand to see what shoes they wanted to try on and that they would be allowed to try on at least three different pairs in the shop.
    In-store browsing would be off the cards.
    Feel sorry for a lot of elderly people who wouldn’t be “online”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Customer limits, queue outside, no browsing, no cash, no trying on... eh, your grand. I'll wait a few more phases. I don't know why shops are even bothering opening. Can't be any money in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Akrasia wrote: »
    You must really love standing in line2 metres away from everyone else

Actually, if this virus ends the idea that going shopping is a pleasure rather than a chore, then at least some good will have some from this.

It's queueing FFS. I'm sick of Americanisms sneaking into Irish vernacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

touts wrote: »
    Full price for a couple of days to maybe a week. Then the sales will hit.

There is a massive amount of clothes in the pipeline. Spring lines will have to be sold at a big knockdown. They will hope pent up demand for summer clothes will see a big demand especially for kids clothes where they have outgrown last year's ones. My bet is they will ride it for a week and we'll start to see sales next week. TK-Maxx will be rammed with stuff as labels try to move stock off their books.

Furniture, hardware etc will be a bit harder to call. Pent up demand will spike their sales this week. But this is discretionary spending. Once the pent up demand is gone buyers will disappear. People won't want to spend until they know what happens in the economy. In a few weeks there will be liquidation level sales in many of these stores.

The one exception could be home office stuff. People will want to prepare for a second wave. I'd expect demand for laptops, desks etc to stay high for weeks and no sales on those until the back to college deals hit in September if even then.

Cars etc won't see any pickup in demand so there could be great bargains. That market is dead until the economy settles and people figure out if they actually need a car at all any more. If you are in the market you could get great deals as garages will be desperate to sell anything they can. But with 202 plates a few of weeks away they will have to offer almost secondhand prices to shift anything new before then. Then in July they will offer great trade in deals to try and sell new cars but will be stuck with second hand cars they can't sell for what they paid for them. You could get the main dealers offering loans at negative rates in a month or two.

On the cars point, was actually in a dealership on Friday afternoon and it was very busy, steady flow coming in and out and plenty of test drives. Dealer said to me that it's been busy since they reopened, plenty of deposits placed on new and used cars. They were expecting it to be very quiet but the complete opposite.

Theres pent up demand in every market

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On the cars point, was actually in a dealership on Friday afternoon and it was very busy, steady flow coming in and out and plenty of test drives. Dealer said to me that it's been busy since they reopened, plenty of deposits placed on new and used cars. They were expecting it to be very quiet but the complete opposite.

Theres pent up demand in every market

I’d say a lot of people will want to avoid public transport so will want their own or a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

pc7 wrote: »
    I’d say a lot of people will want to avoid public transport so will want their own or a better car.

Could well do but in Dublin theres nowhere to park said car during the day, driving in and out just isn't possible when the majority are back in work.

I did it myself during the actual lockdown but since reopening stated I've been back on the bus, too much issues with getting parking to tempt me to drive into work.

I’ve gotten by grand without setting foot in one for months so I don’t know if I’ll go back near them at all. Online all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No. I got into the habit of shopping out of necessity rather then window shopping.

Be aware that most shops will be card only.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of threads about shops refusing cash transactions.

The card only decision is a knee jerk reaction by some stores, most places can’t afford to be fussy about obtaining a customer, plus it is very easily managed if the person on the till wears gloves when handling cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's going to be very interesting but I fear the hysteria around the mass reopening is misguided. As it is, those retailers that have opened are essentially operating ICU units, restricted access, no browsing, limited contact etc. There was an article on rte news last night re shops planning reopening today and if it wasn't so serious, it was farcical the steps retailers have to take, one in particular was a shoe shop with a bizzare contraption separating customer and staff whilst shoes being tried on, there was a clothes shop showing a steaming contraption being used after someone trys on something. Simon Harris this morning stressing how much of a good day it is for those who thought they lost their jobs, he's clearly clueless.

These and other requirements are going to essentially close retail as we know it, already online has taken over, ask any courier who worked over the past 3 months. The Bar/Restaurant sector will be a debacle, who in there right mind will want to go to a bar for food, let alone drinks with what is proposed.

Finally, I've no doubt that few if any retail outlets would be open or reopen without the wage subsidy scheme so in essence a complete false sense of (A we're grand now) economic forecasting is at play and an enormous amount of businesses being propped up with unsustainable supports is going to lead to a bigger crash witnessed during last recession and financial crash. The main irony of this entire crisis is the speeding up of online taking over highstreet by a decade I reckon.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I’ve gotten by grand without setting foot in one for months so I don’t know if I’ll go back near them at all. Online all the way.

Ya but this brings its own problems too, overly convenient, I’m now expecting delivery for, skipping rope, scented oils, hoover extensions, flip flops.

I predict an increase in self help groups for online shopping in the future for people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Supporting the UK economy and a billionaire
    Well done

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't! Can't win! /ireland

What is proposed for Bar/Food Dempo1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Will stick to online shopping for now it stops me impulse buying. I don’t ever buy jeans online so hopefully things go back to normal before I need to replace my jeans.
    Where possible I buy online from Irish retailers. It’s important we keep as many people in jobs as possible.

It's not possible to not browse. How are they going to enforce that rule in the big clothing shops? Same for IKEA. Say I need bedding. I will have to look at what's there and decide. Even if I've picked something online I might change my mind when I see it. There is no issue looking at the clothes in Tesco Extra or Marks or having a wonder around Supervalue deciding what to buy for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's going to be very interesting but I fear the hysteria around the mass reopening is misguided. As it is, those retailers that have opened are essentially operating ICU units, restricted access, no browsing, limited contact etc.

Exactly, why bother putting yourself through the hassles of waiting on a bus/train that won't stop, as it's full with 13 people on board, to go stand in the car park outside a retail store for an hour only to be told by a staff member dressed as an extra from the movie "Contagion" that you can't touch any of the items, and you must move through as quickly as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Needed a new toilet seat and was dreading going to woddies to get it.
    I spent 20 mins in the que outside to get in to be directed to 'box one and box two' by someone who was on a power trip.

With the exception of food shopping there is no way I'm going anywhere till things go back to some normality.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Amazon UK has been getting a lot of my business for the rest.

Try and give irish companies your business. They desperately need it now.

Went to the Upper Level of my local Shopping Centre this morning. Still the same Ghost Town. Both restaurants shut with signs "Closed until further notice". I've only seen TWO shops of 18 or so open on the upper level during the Pandemic.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's going to be very interesting but I fear the hysteria around the mass reopening is misguided. .... Simon Harris this morning stressing how much of a good day it is for those who thought they lost their jobs, he's clearly clueless.
    This.
    Ah yes, good old FG up to the usual tactics: milk the utter bejayzuz out of every wee bit of good news.

• Advertisement

The difference between 1 meter and 2 meter rule to shops is astronomical, essentially twice the amount of people can be allowed in at the same time.

Yep, not worth the grief of being herded around like sheep in pens and told that every person/object is potentially infected. I don't need new T-Shirts that much!

So, shopping online will continue for essentials only. Although in general I'd say discretional spending will be way down from now onwards as we have just become used to it – we don’t need all that stuff. I fully expect many businesses to close for good.

begbysback wrote: »
    The difference between 1 meter and 2 meter rule to shops is astronomical, essentially twice the amount of people can be allowed in at the same time.

Surely it's 4 times as many with 1m?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Went to the Upper Level of my local Shopping Centre this morning. Still the same Ghost Town. Both restaurants shut with signs "Closed until further notice". I've only seen TWO shops of 18 or so open on the upper level during the Pandemic.

Shopping centres aren’t opening until next week.
    Only street level shops with their own entrance/exit can open this week.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Surely it's 4 times as many with 1m?

I stand corrected, also if they are small people then maybe 6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This will be a good week to go to the hardware stores as all the nutcases will focus on Penny’s and TK Maxxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/ConalThomas/status/1269932507539128321?s=19

What pathetic, empty lives they must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

s1ippy wrote: »

2020 summed up in a sentence. Shaming people going to buy some furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Dog day

thelad95 wrote: »
    2020 summed up in a sentence. Shaming people going to buy some furniture.

Agreed. I for one will be avoiding the queues but each to their own. For some people a little retail therapy & getting out of the house for something akin to ‘normal living’ is vital. Nasty senseless shaming of others seems to be ubiquitous these days. The ‘shamers’ are the ones I find sad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

s1ippy wrote: »

*posted from my gaming laptop in my Avengers pyjamas*

Advertisement