Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For any of the shops, going nearer to closing seems to be a good time to go, at least in my experience so far. Walked into Woodies and Homestore & More at Blanchardstown about 5.30pm the other evening, no queues. Same for Dunnes Stores all through the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Is there any idea on when this no trying on rule will be pulled in most places? In bad need of a few pairs of jeans, not a chance I'm buying without a try on.

Makes absolutely no sense as they have no issue with you trying on tops/ jackets in front of the floor mirrors.

Another few rock bottom hoodies bought today myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Retail has a very long way to go, people aren't returning back in their droves, there's only so much standing around in a car park for an hour and being herded like Sheep that you can take, then being shepherded around one way systems, no sitting down anywhere, washing, sanitising, face masking, glove wearing, and being sprayed by shop workers while having your temperature checked and your kids shoes being put on by someone dressed in Biohazard gear behind a huge perspex screen, no changing rooms.....

People have changed their shopping habits and made the switch to online, if Penny's had gone online there'd be no que's outside any of the stores..

Covid has just jumped the decline of the High street up by a number of years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Retail has a very long way to go, people aren't returning back in their droves, there's only so much standing around in a car park for an hour and being herded like Sheep that you can take, then being shepherded around one way systems, no sitting down anywhere, washing, sanitising, face masking, glove wearing, and being sprayed by shop workers while having your temperature checked and your kids shoes being put on by someone dressed in Biohazard gear behind a huge perspex screen, no changing rooms.....

People have changed their shopping habits and made the switch to online, if Penny's had gone online there'd be no que's outside any of the stores..

Excellent post tenzor could not have put it better myself as I put in a previous post there is no way I’m going back to a shop and be treated as I have leprosy - with the exception of essentials I’m not going back until things go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That's ridiculous. You'd have to be fairly desperate for a bit of shopping to be doing that. Hated that place during normal times anyways.

Online shopping is largely the preserve of stay at home mothers. How many teenage boys/ men in general do you reckon shop online? None. Most people with half a brain are aware online shopping is a rip off compared to the high street in most cases. If the high street is dying why did the Blanch Centre sell for a billion last year? Why are they building an extension on it? People go shopping to get out of the house- same way you can get any film on pirate bay but most people prefer getting out of the house and paying at the cinema.

I was in Swords Pavillion today, was fairly busy compared to what I saw yesterday. People will be slow to get going with their financial uncertainty. Not to forget that 3/4th of the workforce are still at work, either at the job or chained to the desk at home.

JDxtra wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. You'd have to be fairly desperate for a bit of shopping to be doing that. Hated that place during normal times anyways.

Generally agree though like brooks brothers shirts - I hate ironing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Online shopping is largely the preserve of stay at home mothers. How many teenage boys/ men in general do you reckon shop online? None. Most people with half a brain are aware online shopping is a rip off compared to the high street in most cases. If the high street is dying why did the Blanch Centre sell for a billion last year? Why are they building an extension on it? People go shopping to get out of the house- same way you can get any film on pirate bay but most people prefer getting out of the house and paying at the cinema.

I was in Swords Pavillion today, was fairly busy compared to what I saw yesterday. People will be slow to get going with their financial uncertainty. Not to forget that 3/4th of the workforce are still at work, either at the job or chained to the desk at home.

I think you are extremely out of touch

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

DJ and their opinion is at least 5 years out of date, a Boomer opinion also...

Q: How many men shop online?

A: All of them who can work a smartphone.

DJ and their opinion is at least 5 years out of date, a Boomer opinion also...

Q: How many men shop online?

A: All of them who can work a smartphone.

I don't generally shop online as it is

a- almost always more expensive than a standard store for brand name clothing

b- a bit of a shot in the dark. Size doesn't fit, don't fancy the item after all, some delivery services are notoriously unreliable etc etc. I actually pity people who respond to this with "but there's free returns", like to have the spare time to do this like. It's a bit sad.

c- shopping websites are for the most part clunky and awkward.

You think teenage boys and young men buy the majority of their clothes online? Maybe their knock off Canada Goose jackets for a quarter the shop price. Aside from that, hardly. Why would they? More expensive, takes anywhere from two days to three weeks, may or may not end up in your neighbours wheelie bin. Who would be bothered?

To actually address that more specifically, I've been out and about four times since last Wednesday.

Of that entire post the only one I have seen is sanitising (not compulsory if you want to be an arse) and no changing rooms.

I haven't queued more than 10 minutes to get in anywhere. Nobody is shepherded around shops, the odd one will request you enter by one side and stick to a pathway an ext the other side.

Aside from the occasional queue you would barely notice the difference to normal times, save for how few people are around. Absence of most changing rooms being the only significant pain.

Postage would cost more than half the gear in Penneys. Who would be bothered? Penneys haven't an online service because they have done their research and realised nobody is bothered with it. Anybody willing to pay more online for an item they can drive 10 minutes down the road to pick up in person, for cheaper, wants sectioning.

Pennys make money by people throwing in about 10 times more into their basket than they originally went in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Online shopping is largely the preserve of stay at home mothers. .

Having worked in a workplace post room where the staff could get their personal mail delivered to work, I can say this is absolutely not true. Young professionals are buying clothes online. Constantly. They buy so much they don't know which package arrived that day because they've forgotten what they ordered. If I never see another Asos bag in my life it will be too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JDxtra wrote: »
    Pennys make money by people throwing in about 10 times more into their basket than they originally went in for.

So it seems, but you have to hand it to them they have a great model for getting people to buy, buy, buy (largely tat). Good luck to them they have what many want to buy, even if they don't need it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

auris00 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long is the wait in Ikea? And what time would be better to come there? Morning or maybe mid day?

I went Monday morning at 9.40am. Was in the shop by 10 the que moved along. When I left at 1PM the que was massive no chance I would of waited in it.

cian68 wrote: »
    Having worked in a workplace post room where the staff could get their personal mail delivered to work, I can say this is absolutely not true. Young professionals are buying clothes online. Constantly. They buy so much they don't know which package arrived that day because they've forgotten what they ordered. If I never see another Asos bag in my life it will be too soon

More fool them. These prices are gas :pac:

https://www.asos.com/men/a-to-z-of-brands/adidas/cat/?cid=7113&currentpricerange=10-235&page=2&refine=attribute_10992:61382

I'm not sure I've ever seen an Adidas top above 70 quid in Lifestyle, JD etc (they're currently 25 to 55), on this site 70 is the sale price :pac::pac:

https://www.asos.com/nike/nike-tech-fleece-zip-through-hoodie-in-grey/prd/12735776?colourwayid=16413307&SearchQuery=&cid=4766

Jesus Wept. 110 quid plus postage. I bought this in blue in Lifestyle for 70 odd a few months ago. It's likely down to 50 now with the sales that are on.

Anyone buying off these cowboys has had a lobotomy at some stage. It's simply a case of storage- high street shops have shelves and hangers, when the new season is coming in they need to shift stuff off the hangers to make way for the new stuff. Online warehouses can sit on the very last of the stock until such time it looks unfashionable/ noticeably old, it isn;t taking up floor space.

It's amazing how years of people telling others that online is cheaper have people taking it as gospel without realising. 110 quid for a Nike hoodie, even Tommy Hilfiger ones normally don't go past 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Does anyone know if shopping centre toilets are open? Id promised my 4 year old a trip to the shops for her birthday back in March. Had planned to take her to Grafton St / Stephens Green next week, but she wont get far without needing the bathroom from past experience.

More fool them. These prices are gas :pac:

]

Jesus Wept. 110 quid plus postage. I bought this in blue in Lifestyle for 70 odd a few months ago. It's likely down to 50 now with the sales that are on.

Anyone buying off these cowboys has had a lobotomy at some stage. It's simply a case of storage- high street shops have shelves and hangers, when the new season is coming in they need to shift stuff off the hangers to make way for the new stuff. Online warehouses can sit on the very last of the stock until such time it looks unfashionable/ noticeably old, it isn;t taking up floor space.

It's amazing how years of people telling others that online is cheaper have people taking it as gospel without realising. 110 quid for a Nike hoodie, even Tommy Hilfiger ones normally don't go past 100.

Postage and returns are free with ASOS (over €35 i think) so its a huge attraction. ASOS aren't cowboys, they've been probably the top online clothing store for 10 years in UK, better than Pretty Little Thing, Bohoo etc.
    I work full time but its shift work.......I buy online for convenience as I absolutely hate clothes shopping and the hassle of going to town unless its for a browse and a coffee (I love that!)

I've hardly bought anything online since Covid began, just didn't see the point as I wasn't going anywhere. I don't understand the madness of online shopping with younger people and the daily drop off of bags to their house. Are they not embarrassed, do they never stop and ask "do I actually need this". The waste, the rubbish they buy that ends up in land fill, we don't need half of what we have!

If I don't need I don't buy. This week I bought a lovely cardigan and a jumper I had my eye on for months in ASOS as its really well reduced. Badly needed both. I'm delighted, but then again its the first purchase for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does anyone know if shopping centre toilets are open? Id promised my 4 year old a trip to the shops for her birthday back in March. Had planned to take her to Grafton St / Stephens Green next week, but she wont get far without needing the bathroom from past experience.

It depends on the shopping centre from what I can see.

• Advertisement

I don't generally shop online as it is

a- almost always more expensive than a standard store for brand name clothing

b- a bit of a shot in the dark. Size doesn't fit, don't fancy the item after all, some delivery services are notoriously unreliable etc etc. I actually pity people who respond to this with "but there's free returns", like to have the spare time to do this like. It's a bit sad.

c- shopping websites are for the most part clunky and awkward.

You think teenage boys and young men buy the majority of their clothes online? Maybe their knock off Canada Goose jackets for a quarter the shop price. Aside from that, hardly. Why would they? More expensive, takes anywhere from two days to three weeks, may or may not end up in your neighbours wheelie bin. Who would be bothered?
    Yes you havent a clue. ASOS, the most popular website:

Free delivery over 25 (?) quid
    Delivery takes less than a week, not that 2-3 week nonsense you are claiming
    Free returns - all I have to do is drop the package back into my local spar, no effort required
    Huge selection of brands
    Not expensive - the ASOS brands themselves are good quality and cheap.

You really couldn't be more off here, just because you don't do it doesn't mean most men in their 20s don't.

I'm not buying any clothes online, it does not appeal at all. I'll just continue wearing what I have, not the end of the world. I'd rather do that than go near any clothes shop at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah but why would you even buy Nike or Tommy Hilfiger. So you can be like everyone else?

I pop into my local independent shops every so often for a browse but otherwise I shop online. Brands I want are easily accessible despite some of them not even being sold in Ireland. Or at least not yet. Safe to say Nike or Tommy Hilfiger hoodie wouldn't be my thing. Even if you are in sportswear stuff what is sold in the shops is fairly limited and dare I say boring.

I definitely think this will hit High Street hard. Brands with a lot of brick and mortar shops are already going out of business. Even Zara owner which is very profitable is closing around 1200 stores all over the world and concentrating on online business. Retail trend was already going towards experience shopping to attract shoppers (from nail bars to galleries and art events in shops) and that is hard to recreate now. Checking business pages content of any news site will tell you High Street is in trouble and I very much agree that Corona only speed up what was already happening.

Edit: speaking of business pages, Boohoo just bought Oasis and Warehouse. None of physical shops will be retained and like Coast and Karen Millen will be only online.

Yes you havent a clue. ASOS, the most popular website:

Free delivery over 25 (?) quid
    Delivery takes less than a week, not that 2-3 week nonsense you are claiming
    Free returns - all I have to do is drop the package back into my local spar, no effort required
    Huge selection of brands
    Not expensive - the ASOS brands themselves are good quality and cheap.

You really couldn't be more off here, just because you don't do it doesn't mean most men in their 20s don't.

OK, so the postage is free.

Did you miss the bit where I highlighted that their current sale prices on Adidas are the maximum price Adidas would ever be in JD or Lifestyle? And little to nothing is at maximum price in the shops now as they are desperate for business?

Or where I bought the 110 euro top for 70 quid a few months ago, and it's likely cheaper than that now with all that is happening?

ASOS is cheap? How is it cheap when it is anywhere from 15 to 50 euro more expensive than in your local shopping centre?

Free delivery over 25 quid. Yesterday I bought an Adidas top in JD for 25 euro. Let's assume in a one off ASOS was somehow cheaper and had it for 21 euro (49 euro cheaper than anything similar I've seen on their site so it looks fairly unlikely, but for arguments sake). So I've to spend 4 quid on delivery because it's under 25, then wait a week (a feckin week!) to have it in my hands. Then I might decide I don't actually like it, seeing as you don't know the feel of it or how it looks on you just by the photo of the thick looking model with the ****e tattoos in the photo, and have to trek down to a Spar and send it back.

Do you actually realise how daft that whole process is? Or why most men are not regular online shoppers? Who in the jaysus has all that time and money to waste?

The high street brands would do well to do ads like Aldi and Lidl do showing basket prices of them vs their competitors, highlighting how ASOS tops for 110 quid can be bought in their shops for below 70 without the hassle of delivery.

There's public supervised toilets set up by DCC at top of Grafton St and at the square across from Henry St McDonalds.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I definitely think this will hit High Street hard. Brands with a lot of brick and mortar shops are already going out of business. Even Zara owner which is very profitable is closing around 1200 stores all over the world and concentrating on online business. Retail trend was already going towards experience shopping to attract shoppers (from nail bars to galleries and art events in shops) and that is hard to recreate now. Checking business pages content of any news site will tell you High Street is in trouble and I very much agree that Corona only speed up what was already happening.
    Edit: speaking of business pages, Boohoo just bought Oasis and Warehouse. None of physical shops will be retained and like Coast and Karen Millen will be only online.

Agree, if you look at the costs involved in running a Store in say Grafton Street, the rents are upwards only and the most expensive in Europe, Insurance costs are rocketing also one claim from a customer who "Slipped" in your store could cost your insurance company upwards of €50,000+++
    There's also the matter of €1000's being stolen by shoplifters every month.
    Staff, security and council rates are also a massive cost.

Large multiple retailers can use the costs saved from not having a physical premises and invest it in their Online system, and have a 3rd party handle warehousing/distribution and logistics.

As I said previously, this was going to happen eventually, Covid has just fast forwarded the process by a number of years.

Our City Centres should be focused on Hospitality, bars, restaurants, cultural events..

Agree, if you look at the costs involved in running a Store in say Grafton Street, the rents are upwards only and the most expensive in Europe, Insurance costs are rocketing also one claim from a customer who "Slipped" in your store could cost your insurance company upwards of €50,000+++
    There's also the matter of €1000's being stolen by shoplifters every month.
    Staff, security and council rates are also a massive cost.

Large multiple retailers can use the costs saved from not having a physical premises and invest it in their Online system, and have a 3rd party handle warehousing/distribution and logistics.

As I said previously, this was going to happen eventually, Covid has just fast forwarded the process by a number of years.

Our City Centres should be focused on Hospitality, bars, restaurants, cultural events..

Nobody at JD Sports seems to have noticed what a white elephant bricks and mortar is when they moved from their aged looking premises in the upstairs of the Jervis to the snazzy two storey one at ground level last year (where the rent is undoubtedly more expensive).

And Sports Direct, who have a massive online presence, must have been mad to open a veritable supermarket of clothes in town 3 years ago.

JD have a second branch on the way in the Blanch Centre in addition to its first, just as Lifestyle opened a smaller store in the centre depsite having a larger one in the retail park, a centre currently undergoing an extension, a centre that changed hands for a billion quid last year.

You would imagine if they weather this storm Tommy Hilfiger will be looking to take an outlet left empty my Mothercare/ Laura Ashley etc, they're already present in Liffey Valley, Dundrum and Swords.

But sure here, lads who buy stuff on ASOS for 50 quid above the real world retail price clearly know more about economics than billionaires like Mike Ashley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Generally I dont like to shop on line. But needs must and unless something changes in the stores I wont going back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Not sure about other branches nationwide, but McDonald's here in Castlebar is still absolutely rammed right down to the Westport road roudabout everyday since reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,998 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure about other branches nationwide, but McDonald's here in Castlebar is still absolutely rammed right down to the Westport road roudabout everyday since reopening.

I’m hearing it’s hit and miss. It’s rather busy at peak times but that usual.

• Advertisement

OK, so the postage is free.

Did you miss the bit where I highlighted that their current sale prices on Adidas are the maximum price Adidas would ever be in JD or Lifestyle? And little to nothing is at maximum price in the shops now as they are desperate for business?

Or where I bought the 110 euro top for 70 quid a few months ago, and it's likely cheaper than that now with all that is happening?

ASOS is cheap? How is it cheap when it is anywhere from 15 to 50 euro more expensive than in your local shopping centre?

Free delivery over 25 quid. Yesterday I bought an Adidas top in JD for 25 euro. Let's assume in a one off ASOS was somehow cheaper and had it for 21 euro (49 euro cheaper than anything similar I've seen on their site so it looks fairly unlikely, but for arguments sake). So I've to spend 4 quid on delivery because it's under 25, then wait a week (a feckin week!) to have it in my hands. Then I might decide I don't actually like it, seeing as you don't know the feel of it or how it looks on you just by the photo of the thick looking model with the ****e tattoos in the photo, and have to trek down to a Spar and send it back.

Do you actually realise how daft that whole process is? Or why most men are not regular online shoppers? Who in the jaysus has all that time and money to waste?

The high street brands would do well to do ads like Aldi and Lidl do showing basket prices of them vs their competitors, highlighting how ASOS tops for 110 quid can be bought in their shops for below 70 without the hassle of delivery.
    You've picked one ridiculous example and run with it. Enjoy your ignorance. I'm guessing you aren't a young male and are projecting your views of what you think they do without any actual knowledge of it. I'm in my 20s, I shop online (and in store), my friends do the same. ASOS isn't a roaring success for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

But sure here, lads who buy stuff on ASOS for 50 quid above the real world retail price clearly know more about economics than billionaires like Mike Ashley.
    Yes lets listen to billionares like Mike Ashley who a few years ago called for 20% tax on online sales and claimed online is killing High Street. He is also investing more and more into online sales. I agree with you that ASOS is overpriced for a lot of branded stuff but otherwise I hope you are trolling because surely nobody could be so ignorant about what is actually happening around them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mike-ashley-sports-direct-house-of-fraser-sales-high-street-online-shopping-a8665421.html

You've picked one ridiculous example and run with it. Enjoy your ignorance. I'm guessing you aren't a young male and are projecting your views of what you think they do without any actual knowledge of it. I'm in my 20s, I shop online (and in store), my friends do the same. ASOS isn't a roaring success for no reason.

My last word on this.....

Let me guess. You also don't carry cash do you and operate purely by card :pac: Or worse yet Apple/ Google pay.

Listen, if you and a few million other lemmings want to spend 20 to 50 quid extra on something that is more expensive than the real world, and the hassle of wondering whether it will turn up and sending it back if you don't fancy it (I read recently an average of 40 percent of clothes bought online have already been returned by a previous buyer) be my guest. As it turns out I was slightly mistaken- the Nike hoodie I highlighted on the site for 110 quid is actually 90 euro in the shops at full price, not 70, as I saw yesterday. Still, the Adidas prices are ridiculously out of kilter with the real world as stated.

It's madness to bother with, but it does have its loyalists. If they want to pay a 25- 50% loading on goods more fool them.

Now. With that aside :pac: Anybody any idea when the trying on clothes ban would be lifted in most outlets?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I know that the bathrooms in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre have been open all along, they never closed them so you'd be ok there if city centre is not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

My last word on this.....

Let me guess. You also don't carry cash do you and operate purely by card :pac: Or worse yet Apple/ Google pay.

Listen, if you and a few million other lemmings want to spend 20 to 50 quid extra on something that is more expensive than the real world, and the hassle of wondering whether it will turn up and sending it back if you don't fancy it (I read recently an average of 40 percent of clothes bought online have already been returned by a previous buyer) be my guest. As it turns out I was slightly mistaken- the Nike hoodie I highlighted on the site for 110 quid is actually 90 euro in the shops at full price, not 70, as I saw yesterday. Still, the Adidas prices are ridiculously out of kilter with the real world as stated.

It's madness to bother with, but it does have its loyalists. If they want to pay a 25- 50% loading on goods more fool them.

The problem here is that you are focusing on one online shop. In general I find ASOS to be cheaper than most high street shops (granted I don't buy sportswear so YMMV), but on the rare occasions they aren't I'll try a different online shop.

Case in point, before lockdown I wanted a Levis denim jacket. I found one I liked in the Levis store in Grafton St but I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend €119 on it. Went online and found the same jacket for £55 from Amazon, so I bought two one them in different colours. £110 (€121) for two online vs €120 in store over here.

I also wanted a particular Allsaints Leather Jacket recently. It's €440 in store over here, but I got it for £229.60 (€254) from John Lewis. Even if I were to buy from it from Allsaints website, I'd instantly get 15% off compared to buying it from them in store.

I save a LOT of money buying online, and on the rare occasion I need to return something I just pop it into the parcel motel five mins walk from my house. All my friends pretty much feel the same (late 20's / early 30's professionals)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

So I decided to pop into Blan for quick visit after work.

It was actually mad looking at all shops that have closed down or still not open.

Zara, Debenhams, Rivers Island, Warehouse, Oasis, Aldo, Mothercare... there just the ones I noticed.

Shopping centre looks shocking aswell with building work + all tiles on lower ground floor all horrible. I bet they are regretting the extension now its a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was in kildare village and boy was it busy. The limited on numbers per shop is causing long queues at the more popular stores. Avoided a load of them that id normally like to go to.
    Some even have compulsory online booking or “virtual queues”-no such thing as going into a shop anymore with cash and simply buying something!
    I went on a weekend so it’s probably a better idea to go during the week. Not sure how long this will last really

road_high wrote: »
    Was in kildare village and boy was it busy. The limited on numbers per shop is causing long queues at the more popular stores. Avoided a load of them that id normally like to go to.
    Some even have compulsory online booking or “virtual queues”-no such thing as going into a shop anymore with cash and simply buying something!
    I went on a weekend so it’s probably a better idea to go during the week. Not sure how long this will last really

Thanks for that update. I was tempted to go yesterday (during the week is not an option). Go out there about twice a year to pick up certain items which are not easily available elsewhere and usually make a day out of it and have a meal out there as well.

Might leave it awhile before going.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that update. I was tempted to go yesterday (during the week is not an option). Go out there about twice a year to pick up certain items which are not easily available elsewhere and usually make a day out of it and have a meal out there as well.

Might leave it awhile before going.

Didn’t even bother with food or coffee so I’ve no idea but seemed to be a long enough queues for the few mobile places.
    I like it i go every few months or so but would be in no rush back currently. Was several stores I’d have liked to go to but not with all that hassle. It’s bette than them being closed for sure but how sustainable economically it is I doubt. Best go during the week if possible at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Was in the marshes Dundalk today for a few essentials. Queuing was good in h and m and penny’s but a lot of people not looking where they were going or walking on top of people when there was plenty of space to move over. It’s a spacious centre , there was no need to get so close to others. Was glad to get out and won’t be heading there again.

Anyone know what’s the story with Costa coffee? Pretty odd they keep saying on social media they’ll post when reopening date. Been following it and it’s been going on for weeks. Everywhere else is re opened practically that can.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Was in the marshes Dundalk today for a few essentials. Queuing was good in h and m and penny’s but a lot of people not looking where they were going or walking on top of people when there was plenty of space to move over. It’s a spacious centre , there was no need to get so close to others. Was glad to get out and won’t be heading there again.

Was in Penney’s today and thought the same. Why can’t people move out of the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It was a lack of personal space that got on my nerves. Plenty of room. No excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Was in Penney’s today and thought the same. Why can’t people move out of the way?

I think this will cause huge problems when the pubs open. Agro starting as people encroach other people's space.

Was on Grafton St for the first time since March on Friday. Went onto two shops, not enjoyable I won't be rushing back. Ended up coming home and ordering stuff online.

• Advertisement

First Saturday I went shopping on- pain in the arse tbh. Load of shops I just walked by with queues. If I’m representative there must be a lot of lost opportunities for spending in various stores now.
    Only anecdotal but a family member knows a woman working in a Penney’s store in Leinster and said takings are way down compared to normal- this time of year they’d be buying lots of holiday gear. Browsers aren’t bothered spending I’d say

Anyone know what’s the story with Costa coffee? Pretty odd they keep saying on social media they’ll post when reopening date. Been following it and it’s been going on for weeks. Everywhere else is re opened practically that can.

yes, very strange, I reckon they must have a restaurant licence so aren't going to open until Monday.
    However my local Costa hasn't had any staff in the place at all, none of the usual physical distancing signs, no perspex screens at the counter etc.

yes, very strange, I reckon they must have a restaurant licence so aren't going to open until Monday.
    However my local Costa hasn't had any staff in the place at all, none of the usual physical distancing signs, no perspex screens at the counter etc.

Nothing has happened in their stores. There’s one near me I often walk by and hasn’t been touched since it closed. Very strange. Apart from the high profile businesses that have shut they seem to be the only ones not communicating a re opening schedule. As time goes by you’d have to wonder is there a corporate decision pending? Their U.K. coffee shops appear to be reopening. I’m sceptical when I see these things going on or not

Don’t Coke own Costa now too? So you’d be surprised if they’re going under because of this.

Don’t Coke own Costa now too? So you’d be surprised if they’re going under because of this.

Have no idea. But it’s very strange. You’d imagine they’d be doing well

• Advertisement
Advertisement