Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Tried to give my local Elvery Sports some business. The shop is like a massive warehouse with tons of space. Long queue around the corner of people standing way closer than they ever would in the shop. Madness. I'll order online and take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

radharc wrote: »
    Which McDonalds have you seen?? I was in Carrickmines yesterday and Blanchardstown today and would conservatively put the q at at least 50 cars on both occasions.
    Passed the tallaght one on thursday afternoon, about 8 in the queue and passed the naas road one yesterday evening and not 1 car in the queue, was shocked myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

rafatoni wrote: »
    Passed the tallaght one on thursday afternoon, about 8 in the queue and passed the naas road one yesterday evening and not 1 car in the queue, was shocked myself.

Carrickmines still long queues every day (don't go myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

road_high wrote: »
    I see Mothercare in Ireland is the latest casualty. So that’s Debenhams, Monsoon, Mothercare...any other big names finished off?

Had heard mention of Accessorize, at least the one in Cork city, not sure if nationwide
    gretta123 wrote: »
    Penney’s and others like aldi and Lidl are integral to people affording to feed and cloth their children

Very true, in fact were it not for Pennys, Aldi & Lidl during the last recession many people would have found it a lot harder than it was. The Germans had great bargains at a time when people needed to watch every penny

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can see shops at Christmas having an awful time because, with the turn in the weather, people won't be willing to queue outside in the dark and rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ixoy wrote: »
    I can see shops at Christmas having an awful time because, with the turn in the weather, people won't be willing to queue outside in the dark and rain.
    If it returns we should be in Restrictions Mark II, which will be better managed with largely localised restrictions in conjunction with a robust testing system. On top of that we should have better treatments and a lot more knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

is_that_so wrote: »
    If it returns we should be in Restrictions Mark II, which will be better managed with largely localised restrictions in conjunction with a robust testing system. On top of that we should have better treatments and a lot more knowledge.

Nothing to do with it returning or restrictions mk II or treatment. Assuming the current social distancing restrictions are still in place, people just aren't going to be inclined to queue outside in December weather.

Nothing to do with it returning or restrictions mk II or treatment. Assuming the current social distancing restrictions are still in place, people just aren't going to be inclined to queue outside in December weather.
    They won't be, not unless we have a Mark II outbreak. If we allow that to happen then heads should roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'll wait for Penneys

My wife was there yesterday (Mary street). She joined the queue on Parnell Street and was inside the shop within 5 minutes. She's in nutgrove now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Had heard mention of Accessorize, at least the one in Cork city, not sure if nationwide

Monsoon and Accessorize are essentially the same shop. Cork, kilkenny and Grafton Street are meant to be the ones effected.
    However I think the owner said he wants to open up something smaller in some locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ixoy wrote: »

I think certain places will do appointments.
    I'd also question how serious it will be taken in a few months time. I even find the supermarkets are going lax on it now.
    If they reduce the 2 meter rule it will help also.
    Even now I find people are only queueing for not even five minutes to get into Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think certain places will do appointment.
    I'd also question how serious it will be taken in a few months time. I even find the supermarkets are going lax on ot now.
    If they reduce the 2 meter rule ot will help also.
    Even now I find people are only queue for not even five minutes to get into Penneys.

I'd be the same as yourself in terms of questioning how serious it will be taken in a few months. I just can't see shops, supermarkets etc having people queuing outside in the rain and cold. 2m goes down to 1m then you may as well forget about social distancing, as it is now its widely not being followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My wife was there yesterday (Mary street). She joined the queue on Parnell Street and was inside the shop within 5 minutes. She's in nutgrove now

Nutgrove? That's quite a queue!

50009652216_f65f189e7a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Out at the Blanch centre today..

Penny's of course was very busy, small enough queue outside and looked busy inside, otherwise was fairly quiet, carparks fairly empty..

Very dead around the fountain area, all fenced off along with Mothercare, Zara, Debenhams and a few others all closed up permanently or until the 22nd...

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Penny's of course was very busy, small enough queue outside and looked busy inside, otherwise was fairly quiet, carparks fairly empty..

Very dead around the fountain area, all fenced off along with Mothercare, Zara, Debenhams and a few others all closed up permanently or until the 22nd...

Loads of Blanch was open last week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Was in Kildare Village Outlet for an hour from 10:45. Was fairly gas driving past three cars queuing to get into their pre booked parking car park while I glided into the regular car park that was 90% empty :pac:

Blanch centre was fairly empty and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭Polar101

I tried to go to Woodies this morning, but the queue was crazy so I decided not to. I thought I was clever by getting there at 10 am, but guess there were hundreds of others who were smarter than I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 auris00

Anyone know how long is the wait in Ikea? And what time would be better to come there? Morning or maybe mid day?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

auris00 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long is the wait in Ikea? And what time would be better to come there? Morning or maybe mid day?
    I was there Sunday gone at 10;30am, around 90 minutes in the queue, separate entrance for the vulnerable and elderly, lots not in stock so check before you go, weekdays I guess should be a little quieter.
    Once inside it great because there is less people in your way and the staff are amazing.

auris00 wrote: »
    In normal times Friday evening is good. I don't know if that applies now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For any of the shops, going nearer to closing seems to be a good time to go, at least in my experience so far. Walked into Woodies and Homestore & More at Blanchardstown about 5.30pm the other evening, no queues. Same for Dunnes Stores all through the last few months.

Is there any idea on when this no trying on rule will be pulled in most places? In bad need of a few pairs of jeans, not a chance I'm buying without a try on.

Makes absolutely no sense as they have no issue with you trying on tops/ jackets in front of the floor mirrors.

Another few rock bottom hoodies bought today myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Retail has a very long way to go, people aren't returning back in their droves, there's only so much standing around in a car park for an hour and being herded like Sheep that you can take, then being shepherded around one way systems, no sitting down anywhere, washing, sanitising, face masking, glove wearing, and being sprayed by shop workers while having your temperature checked and your kids shoes being put on by someone dressed in Biohazard gear behind a huge perspex screen, no changing rooms.....

People have changed their shopping habits and made the switch to online, if Penny's had gone online there'd be no que's outside any of the stores..

Covid has just jumped the decline of the High street up by a number of years..

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Retail has a very long way to go, people aren't returning back in their droves, there's only so much standing around in a car park for an hour and being herded like Sheep that you can take, then being shepherded around one way systems, no sitting down anywhere, washing, sanitising, face masking, glove wearing, and being sprayed by shop workers while having your temperature checked and your kids shoes being put on by someone dressed in Biohazard gear behind a huge perspex screen, no changing rooms.....

People have changed their shopping habits and made the switch to online, if Penny's had gone online there'd be no que's outside any of the stores..

Excellent post tenzor could not have put it better myself as I put in a previous post there is no way I’m going back to a shop and be treated as I have leprosy - with the exception of essentials I’m not going back until things go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That's ridiculous. You'd have to be fairly desperate for a bit of shopping to be doing that. Hated that place during normal times anyways.

Online shopping is largely the preserve of stay at home mothers. How many teenage boys/ men in general do you reckon shop online? None. Most people with half a brain are aware online shopping is a rip off compared to the high street in most cases. If the high street is dying why did the Blanch Centre sell for a billion last year? Why are they building an extension on it? People go shopping to get out of the house- same way you can get any film on pirate bay but most people prefer getting out of the house and paying at the cinema.

I was in Swords Pavillion today, was fairly busy compared to what I saw yesterday. People will be slow to get going with their financial uncertainty. Not to forget that 3/4th of the workforce are still at work, either at the job or chained to the desk at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

JDxtra wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. You'd have to be fairly desperate for a bit of shopping to be doing that. Hated that place during normal times anyways.

Generally agree though like brooks brothers shirts - I hate ironing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Online shopping is largely the preserve of stay at home mothers. How many teenage boys/ men in general do you reckon shop online? None. Most people with half a brain are aware online shopping is a rip off compared to the high street in most cases. If the high street is dying why did the Blanch Centre sell for a billion last year? Why are they building an extension on it? People go shopping to get out of the house- same way you can get any film on pirate bay but most people prefer getting out of the house and paying at the cinema.

I was in Swords Pavillion today, was fairly busy compared to what I saw yesterday. People will be slow to get going with their financial uncertainty. Not to forget that 3/4th of the workforce are still at work, either at the job or chained to the desk at home.

I think you are extremely out of touch

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I think you are extremely out of touch

DJ and their opinion is at least 5 years out of date, a Boomer opinion also...

Q: How many men shop online?

A: All of them who can work a smartphone.

Advertisement