Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Was in the marshes Dundalk today for a few essentials. Queuing was good in h and m and penny’s but a lot of people not looking where they were going or walking on top of people when there was plenty of space to move over. It’s a spacious centre , there was no need to get so close to others. Was glad to get out and won’t be heading there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone know what’s the story with Costa coffee? Pretty odd they keep saying on social media they’ll post when reopening date. Been following it and it’s been going on for weeks. Everywhere else is re opened practically that can.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Was in the marshes Dundalk today for a few essentials. Queuing was good in h and m and penny’s but a lot of people not looking where they were going or walking on top of people when there was plenty of space to move over. It’s a spacious centre , there was no need to get so close to others. Was glad to get out and won’t be heading there again.

Was in Penney’s today and thought the same. Why can’t people move out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It was a lack of personal space that got on my nerves. Plenty of room. No excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

road_high wrote: »
    Was in Penney’s today and thought the same. Why can’t people move out of the way?

I think this will cause huge problems when the pubs open. Agro starting as people encroach other people's space.

Was on Grafton St for the first time since March on Friday. Went onto two shops, not enjoyable I won't be rushing back. Ended up coming home and ordering stuff online.

• Advertisement

First Saturday I went shopping on- pain in the arse tbh. Load of shops I just walked by with queues. If I’m representative there must be a lot of lost opportunities for spending in various stores now.
    Only anecdotal but a family member knows a woman working in a Penney’s store in Leinster and said takings are way down compared to normal- this time of year they’d be buying lots of holiday gear. Browsers aren’t bothered spending I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone know what’s the story with Costa coffee? Pretty odd they keep saying on social media they’ll post when reopening date. Been following it and it’s been going on for weeks. Everywhere else is re opened practically that can.

yes, very strange, I reckon they must have a restaurant licence so aren't going to open until Monday.
    However my local Costa hasn't had any staff in the place at all, none of the usual physical distancing signs, no perspex screens at the counter etc.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    yes, very strange, I reckon they must have a restaurant licence so aren't going to open until Monday.
    However my local Costa hasn't had any staff in the place at all, none of the usual physical distancing signs, no perspex screens at the counter etc.

Nothing has happened in their stores. There’s one near me I often walk by and hasn’t been touched since it closed. Very strange. Apart from the high profile businesses that have shut they seem to be the only ones not communicating a re opening schedule. As time goes by you’d have to wonder is there a corporate decision pending? Their U.K. coffee shops appear to be reopening. I’m sceptical when I see these things going on or not

Don’t Coke own Costa now too? So you’d be surprised if they’re going under because of this.

Don’t Coke own Costa now too? So you’d be surprised if they’re going under because of this.

Have no idea. But it’s very strange. You’d imagine they’d be doing well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Have no idea. But it’s very strange. You’d imagine they’d be doing well

Probably a number of factors:

- some of their outlets rely on office workers for trade.
    - the Covid payment for staff covers most of the wage costs.
    - they are taking rent holidays (May have negotiated these).

All in, it may be more expensive to open than to stay closed.

Probably a number of factors:

- some of their outlets rely on office workers for trade.
    - the Covid payment for staff covers most of the wage costs.
    - they are taking rent holidays (May have negotiated these).

All in, it may be more expensive to open than to stay closed.

I’d agree with all that but oddly all their competitors have all reopened now (Ages ago) and seem to be doing quite well considering all that.
    I’d say the last point in particular could be a thing. So many of their outlets are in shopping centres.
    I could imagine the majority of their staff are better off on the Covid payment. Had it been a big struggle to get Part timers back in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Any update on eating in IKEA? Do you have to preorder etc?

Advertisement