Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of derogatory terms

Options
  • 07-06-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a big increase in derogatory terms being used by posters against fellow posters & to describe people in general.

Regular examples include Scum, Morons, Pricks etc.

Some Mods will rightly clamp down on this but in other fora it's allowed to run & the lack of action validates it's use.

The increase in contentious posts has increased the use of such terms & personally I think it's time that Boards took action to ensure courteous debate - even when it's heated. If you can't post with using abuse then you shouldn't be here.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Personal abuse towards other users is not acceptable anywhere on the site.Even then though there has to be some discretion. I would look very differently on a poster calling another poster a "pr**k" than I would if someone says another poster is "daft"

When talking about public figures or other 3rd parties in the news it's primarily a matter for local forum rules and the discretion of local mods

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

But surely that just encourages inconsistency if people are allowed to use these terms on one fora but not on another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Discodog wrote: »
    I have noticed a big increase in derogatory terms being used by posters against fellow posters & to describe people in general.

Regular examples include Scum, Morons, Pricks etc.

Some Mods will rightly clamp down on this but in other fora it's allowed to run & the lack of action validates it's use.

The increase in contentious posts has increased the use of such terms & personally I think it's time that Boards took action to ensure courteous debate - even when it's heated. If you can't post with using abuse then you shouldn't be here.

You’re complaining about abuse and contentious posts and arguing that it’s time Boards took action to ensure courteous debate, when this was one of your own recent contributions?

Discodog wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. It's as if the supposed Russian Bots have been replaced by Trump ones. As the person who suggest the CA forum, I rarely visit the horrible place that it's become.

An example of ‘be careful what you wish for’ perhaps?

I didn’t have to go post trawling either btw, that’s just dickish behaviour, that post and the following post were only in recent days in the Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum thread in the Site Feedback forum -

Might I suggest giving repeated “thread” bans as opposed to forum bans? I, personally, feel that forum bans are “counter productive” for the wider site, in general.

The forum really does an excellent job of keeping the malcontents, dribblers and the types who spell lose as loose distracted in their own little “sty”.

Forum bans will leave them “wandering” the site leaving filthy trotter marks all over the shop and causing a, general, stink.

At this point, I would like to re-affirm my opion that the “Current Affairs” forum has been a resounding success and that the moderators are doing an excellent job with it.

I don’t know if it’s a parody character Emmet is channeling akin to Alan Partridge displaying a complete lack of self-awareness which is the source of comedic effect, but in his attempt to set himself apart from people who spell lose as loose, asserting this as evidence of his own superior intellect in comparison to their poorer intellect, I’m not sure if misspelling ‘opinion’ as ‘opion’ is part of the act! :confused:

Being dyslexic I’ll often double and triple check and go back and edit my posts for spelling, grammar, readability and clarity. If someone makes careless spelling errors on a message board, I’ll still do my best to understand their point without alluding to their intellect, unless they open the door themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You’re complaining about abuse and contentious posts and arguing that it’s time Boards took action to ensure courteous debate, when this was one of your own recent contributions?

An example of ‘be careful what you wish for’ perhaps?

I didn’t have to go post trawling either btw, that’s just dickish behaviour, that post and the following post were only in recent days in the Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum thread in the Site Feedback forum -

I don’t know if it’s a parody character Emmet is channeling akin to Alan Partridge displaying a complete lack of self-awareness which is the source of comedic effect, but in his attempt to set himself apart from people who spell lose as loose, asserting this as evidence of his own superior intellect in comparison to their poorer intellect, I’m not sure if misspelling ‘opinion’ as ‘opion’ is part of the act! :confused:

Being dyslexic I’ll often double and triple check and go back and edit my posts for spelling, grammar, readability and clarity. If someone makes careless spelling errors on a message board, I’ll still do my best to understand their point without alluding to their intellect, unless they open the door themselves.

There is nothing wrong with my post. I didn't use any abusive terms. I used the phrase "supposed Bots" because, at the time, there were many media articles suggesting that the Bots existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I feel that I, also, should clarify that my post was not intended as an “attack” on, or describing, those suffering from any mental disabilities.

It’s a certain type of poster that commits this spelling mistake, probably best characterised as a country “oaf”. I don’t believe they even realise it’s a mistake.

You know the sort with an oversized head who gets very excited about any “progressive” issues affecting the world but not one to practice what they preach, either.

A very “suspect”, and questionable, character all round. Dodgy like.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement