Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi dead sports

• 07-06-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a wifi dead spot in house in the bedrooms. I'd like to be able to install a Sky Mini box but there is no signal. What is the best way to increase coverage down into this room?

I would prefer a powerline version as I could then access internet in attic as well for some security cameras.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Misleading title??

Have a look at mesh WiFi systems, there's already a big thread on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Title can't be edited.

The issue I have is that I need to have access in attic to install an NVR and it will more likely have a LAN connection instead of WiFi.

The problem I've got with the mesh units is that they mostly don't suit our house. The need to have a table to be set upon and then a power supply into them.
    I'd prefer to get a decent powerline kit and have access throughout the house where I need it with a passthrough receiver.

However, I see the advantage of having the ability to walk from one area to another with the device auto connecting - although really who does that? Most people walk from one place in house to another, sit down and then browse or whatever. The main need for this is for a SkyQ mini box and an NVR - both of which are stationary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The issue I have is that I need to have access in attic to install an NVR and it will more likely have a LAN connection instead of WiFi.

The problem I've got with the mesh units is that they mostly don't suit our house. The need to have a table to be set upon and then a power supply into them.
    I'd prefer to get a decent powerline kit and have access throughout the house where I need it with a passthrough receiver.

However, I see the advantage of having the ability to walk from one area to another with the device auto connecting - although really who does that? Most people walk from one place in house to another, sit down and then browse or whatever. The main need for this is for a SkyQ mini box and an NVR - both of which are stationary.

A lot of people do move about though.
    The issue I find with the mesh is that for the automatic hand off from once mesh device to another mesh device is that the end device/phone/tablet has to support the 802.11kv standard. Many cheaper and low end devices still do not (although the list is getting less) and as such still hang onto the distance mesh access point as they cannot be intelligently pushed to the another better mesh access point. The device you are using has to make that decision instead and it often doesn't do the best job - stubbornly hanging onto a weaker AP instead of switching.

Anyhow if you can get a mesh device connected over LAN cable though powerlines that may help. I have mine that way as the house was never wired with CAT5e....

MBSnr wrote: »
    A lot of people do move about though.
    Its not the driving factor here although I concede the product would give the indication that there is a market for this roaming access.
    Anyhow if you can get a mesh device connected over LAN cable though powerlines that may help. I have mine that way as the house was never wired with CAT5e....

Can you inform me about what your setup is and its performance? This house was never wired for a network and retrofitting would be a nightmare especially as it was redecorated within the last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Can you inform me about what your setup is and its performance? This house was never wired for a network and retrofitting would be a nightmare especially as it was redecorated within the last year!

House was built 2005. I have 3 TP 1300AV powerline adaptors connected - a master Fritzbox to two Fritzbox mesh repeaters. The throughput of the powerlines are about 70Mbps each. Nothing like the 'advertised speed' but fast enough for the rooms they cover - can stream 4K no bother. The master device and anything plugged into it obviously gets the full internet speed.

The layout of my house means they cannot be connected by mesh wifi. I've been meaning to run CAT cable to the repeaters but it's fairly involved job going outside and up around the house. As such it just didn't get done.... Would be nice to get the full internet speed available to each repeater.

Advertisement