Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Council & the covid19 crisis

Options
  • 07-06-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just curious what people think about the city councils response to the whole covid crisis.

I was walking around town yesterday and noticed so many places where the 2 metre social distancing thing for people just walking around was not achievable and it got me thinking.

From my perspective I am seeing cities around the world and other Irish cities and towns responding in many different ways to the crisis, pedestrianisation, pop up cycle lanes, widened footpaths, public toilets, businesses using on street car spaces to facilitate extra seating space and so many quickly implemented small changes to help the city get back up and running.

All the while, nearly 3 months now I suppose, cork city council have allowed motor vehicles use a previously pedestrianised street (OPS), made on street car parking free for a while (about the be reintroduced in the next few days) and outside of the city centre a temporary closure of the marina to motor vehicles. And that seems to be it bar a few consultations on some other stuff which may or may not happen but who knows.

What is the council policy here? Do nothing, wait for the whole thing to blow over and continue as normal.

Are the councillors responsible or are they constantly overruled by the unelected executive?

I don't have the answers but just curious to see what peoples opinions are. Do you think the city council has responded appropriately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

gooseman12 wrote: »
    Just curious what people think about the city councils response to the whole covid crisis.

I was walking around town yesterday and noticed so many places where the 2 metre social distancing thing for people just walking around was not achievable and it got me thinking.

From my perspective I am seeing cities around the world and other Irish cities and towns responding in many different ways to the crisis, pedestrianisation, pop up cycle lanes, widened footpaths, public toilets, businesses using on street car spaces to facilitate extra seating space and so many quickly implemented small changes to help the city get back up and running.

All the while, nearly 3 months now I suppose, cork city council have allowed motor vehicles use a previously pedestrianised street (OPS), made on street car parking free for a while (about the be reintroduced in the next few days) and outside of the city centre a temporary closure of the marina to motor vehicles. And that seems to be it bar a few consultations on some other stuff which may or may not happen but who knows.

What is the council policy here? Do nothing, wait for the whole thing to blow over and continue as normal.

Are the councillors responsible or are they constantly overruled by the unelected executive?

I don't have the answers but just curious to see what peoples opinions are. Do you think the city council has responded appropriately?

Christ no. They can't wait for business as usual. Im genuinely depressed at the continue lack of ambition that shower have. The chamber of commerce are to be applauded. They should run for election. They're so progressive but the city council just riding this 'blip' out it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

It seems stunted by the standards of most things you see going on elsewhere. They talk a good game, as usual, if Cork got all the things promised we'd be in a really decent place but its always delivered half as well and late, and theyre on to a new shiny plan before finishing the last.

On the positive side there is the marina pedestrianisation - thats a good thing but it shouldnt have taken the corona crisis to be implemented. Even still, you'd take it. Also the power washing of the city centre - again I think in terms of corona the benefit is tangential, but it needed to be done so have to welcome that (and keep it up every 6 months or so). I see some loading bays and set down areas labelled night taxis also now with fresh paint, again grand. That lane next to Chambers which was a dumping ground for barriers for several years got that treatment too, which is good but again, why so long to pick up your mess and spray a little paint.

Theres little else other than noise, if you dont look online or listen to the radio you'd have to conclude the council have ignored coronavirus. Theres the talk about pedestrianising streets which we have yet to see, also the wider eat on the street proposal which could be great - but they have successfully waited out the quiet period where they can make changes pain free. Now they have to boot parked cars, throw up barriers counter to returned traffic etc. Maybe thats not as big a deal as I think it is, but it completely squanders any advantage that corona brought. If they do it now they could have done it anytime, and the obvious question is why didnt we.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very poor response from the Council. They've done the bare minimum and things like power washing the streets shouldn't happen every once in a blue moon. Probably won't see a power washer for many years now after this.

They've done fook all to promote active and sustainable travel. It's been nearly 3 months since this kicked off and nada happened. They haven't even get the paltry pedestrianisation proposals off the ground yet. Meanwhile OPS was fully opened to cars and free on street parking was delivered in the blink of an eye during the crisis.

It must be a relief to all in City Hall that things are getting back to normal now so they can can drop the pretence of wanting to do something to support anyone other than car users. Back to the old normal of car filled streets is really what the Council want.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I felt like starting a thread on this a while back. You have to hand it to them, they have successfully dragged their feet and prevented any change in the city centre. Its clear in the Summer months more people would cycle if they could but we have a council that fought to discourage it rather than for it.

The free parking was a complete disaster for residents by UCC as it made houses with limited parking perfect for all the students who have moved in there. Already hearing stories today of the disaster the reintroduction of the parking charges is for a few houses in the area that have become vacation houses. It was probably one the most under reported contributing factors to the situation there. There's a student house near me with at least 5 cars associated with it now. Never mind their friends cars which show up at night.

I don't know much about the make up of the council but its clear as day that its run by suburban car drivers who can't walk more than 5 minutes. Certain council members fake caring about those with disabilities accessing the city centre to halt any change from the status quo is despicable.

The council is limited to a 2 hour meeting today because of COVID and Des is taking the time to take issue with the term "cyclist community" as it makes it sound they are an ethnic minority. They are not an ethnic minority as he correctly points out. He likes to point out that he too owns a bike. Its like the "I have a black friend" argument racists use adapted to fight any change to the status quo.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1270040568652091393

If we could get these lads to use any public amenity other than public parking and the English Market we could have made some very easy changes to benefit everyone who uses the city centre. Instead here we are, two months into a global pandemic and purposeful council inaction and Fianna Fail are arguing cyclists are not an ethnic minority when no one is bloody arguing that they are.

The only way Cork is going to change is with national government intervention it seems.

• Advertisement

User142 wrote: »
    The council is limited to a 2 hour meeting today because of COVID and Des is taking the time to take issue with the term "cyclist community" as it makes it sound they are an ethnic minority. They are not an ethnic minority as he correctly points out. He likes to point out that he too owns a bike. Its like the "I have a black friend" argument racists use adapted to fight any change to the status quo.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1270040568652091393

If we could get these lads to use any public amenity other than public parking and the English Market we could have made some very easy changes to benefit everyone who uses the city centre. Instead here we are, two months into a global pandemic and purposeful council inaction and Fianna Fail are arguing cyclists are not an ethnic minority when no one is bloody arguing that they are.

The only way Cork is going to change is with national government intervention it seems.
    Directly elected mayor with executive powers

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Directly elected mayor with executive powers

We blew that. Too distrustful of authority to even give it to ourselves

gooseman12 wrote: »
    I was walking around town yesterday and noticed so many places where the 2 metre social distancing thing for people just walking around was not achievable and it got me thinking...............

Just on this.
    The entire population is meant to be practising cough and sneeze etiquette. The 2m social distancing is advised/required as "Coronaviruses can be spread when people with the virus have close, sustained contact with people who are not infected. This typically means spending more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person, such as talking to someone for instance"

There is thought to be no problem passing someone on the street etc and being within 2m of them.

So after all the talking and meetings and consultations on pedestrianisation, this is what the Council came up with:

I think they are actually just having a laugh and a bit of craic in City Hall at this stage.

The council members have designed the response to suit themselves. Free parking and literally as little as possible road closures, which have been stalled ......which end at 5pm anyway. They are delighted with the situation I'd say. Its the dream we all thought was impossible. A congestion free commute 24/7 with free parking.

It appeals to the age group that makes up the council. The likes who see old photos of the city and claim the buzz is gone due to removal of car parking on Patrick St and Grand Parade. Its a hugely popular opinion held among those older people.

Of course with the reopening occurring street parking couldn't remain free as they'd have to deal with workers taking up all the best spaces so they've sent them off to multistory car parks. The €2 charge to park is a sacrifice worth making to keep the early rising workers out of the good spots.

Its a city designed by people who grew up associating car use and ownership with prosperity. Its why the council honestly doesn't give a toss if some poor sod will struggle to get to work due to the reduced bus capacity. People who spend money drive. Cycling and walking is a leisure activity.

Term limits to get the dinosaurs out and bring down the average age would be great.

• Advertisement

Big things coming now in light of the new programme for government (assuming the 3 parties endorse it!). Set to be a game changer for quality of life improving measures and infrastructure.

Big things coming now in light of the new programme for government (assuming the 3 parties endorse it!). Set to be a game changer for quality of life improving measures and infrastructure.

Plans on paper are great and we have plenty of those. We need to see fast action on implementation (I won't hold me breath).

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Plans on paper are great and we have plenty of those. We need to see fast action on implementation (I won't hold me breath).

these aren't attention grabbing election time manifesto soundbites, they're in the programme for engorgement with binding commitments in some parts (e.g Climate Action Bill to be introduced within 100 days). I'm excited!

these aren't attention grabbing election time manifesto soundbites, they're in the programme for engorgement with binding commitments in some parts (e.g Climate Action Bill to be introduced within 100 days). I'm excited!

We've seen far too many plans and commitments on paper. Time for action is now. I hope you're right, but once the detailed wranglings over budget and finance start things tend to slow down significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

User142 wrote: »
    The council members have designed the response to suit themselves. Free parking and literally as little as possible road closures, which have been stalled ......which end at 5pm anyway. They are delighted with the situation I'd say. Its the dream we all thought was impossible. A congestion free commute 24/7 with free parking.

It appeals to the age group that makes up the council. The likes who see old photos of the city and claim the buzz is gone due to removal of car parking on Patrick St and Grand Parade. Its a hugely popular opinion held among those older people.

Of course with the reopening occurring street parking couldn't remain free as they'd have to deal with workers taking up all the best spaces so they've sent them off to multistory car parks. The €2 charge to park is a sacrifice worth making to keep the early rising workers out of the good spots.

Its a city designed by people who grew up associating car use and ownership with prosperity. Its why the council honestly doesn't give a toss if some poor sod will struggle to get to work due to the reduced bus capacity. People who spend money drive. Cycling and walking is a leisure activity.

Term limits to get the dinosaurs out and bring down the average age would be great.

So what's that Green motormouth Lorna Bogue doing about it? Or is she far too busy trying to shaft her Party leader to have any time to promote her policies/attend to the wishes of her electorate?

Advertisement