Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current trend of removing cash is a serious mistake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

[QUOTE=Augeo;114037307
    Augeo wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting you're lying at all, I repeat my point..... "No losses.... It's amazing the amount of crypto heads claim that" .......... that's a general comment, but with the loss crypto suffered there must have been a huge amount of losers.
    There always seems to be a hell of a focus on the price surge and correction in late 2017 - early '18 - rather than a consideration of the market over the duration. Yes, I would imagine so. As in any speculation, there are parties on both sides of it. In the collapse of stonks earlier this year, there would have been losers, the collapse of oil, the same. The collapse of celtic tiger property - i'm still on the losing end of that some 15 years later.
    I'm sure there are lots of billionaires out there who reckon cyrpto currencies aren't a valid investment option :)
    There are well positioned people on both sides of that debate, yes. Tudor Jones was one of them but he has changed his mind to being positive about it. He has also put his money where his mouth is and taken a significant position in it.
    Notwithstanding that, some provide a better rationale than others in their assessment of it. And bringing it back to our discussion here, Tudor Jones directly makes that analogy with gold in the 1970s. Here's his letter to investors from earlier this year. Check out the 2nd last page in particular - with regard to how he likens the gold market in the 70s to bitcoin right now. You're more than welcome to cite an authoritative source that rubbishes that analogy if you can find one.
    You can find a link to support most viewpoints.
    I've cited commentary from an authoritative source that specifically addresses that analogy between gold in the 70s vs. bitcoin today - so it's entirely relevant. By all means - if you have an authoritative citation that tackles that analogy from the opposite viewpoint, then lets have it. I'd be keen to read it.
    Bear in mind that this came about as you presented bitcoin as lacking credibility due to past volatility. Gold is accepted and yet it had exactly the same volatility.
    We'll have to wait it out but your fear of / expectation of Sovereign currencies failing all the time wrt the average Joe in Ireland are pie in the toilet stuff IMO.
    With regard to currencies failing all the time, that's not a speculation - that's fact. Bitcoin is relevant globally - not within one jurisdiction - and therefore, it can have significance for anyone in the world.
    To try and suggest that there is no way for the euro to fail or for the euro to devalue is foolish. To think that there couldn't possibly be a circumstance in which the irish government gives your bank-custodied savings a haircut in the future is also foolish.
    "In the spirit of past performance etc what happened gold has sfa to do with cryto"
    So you said a couple of times already. See above. The difference is that Tudor Jones takes the time to go into the specifics as to why there is a relevant analogy between gold in the 70s and bitcoin today. You haven't - nor have you produced informed and detailed commentary on disproving such an analogy.

Gold has an intrinsic value, it's a precious metal. Bitcoin has SFA intrinsic value despite the amount of bitcoin being fixed (supposedly)
    Just 10% of gold use is industrial. It's a monetary metal and its overwhelming use is as a store of value. From the bitcoin perspective, it has intrinsic value as it's the energy standard that Henry Ford proposed way back when.
    There's no 'supposed' about bitcoins fixed supply. However, it is untamperable - as it's pre-programmed digital money.
    new cryptocurrencies are a regular occurrence so whatever bitcoin can/will do I imagine some other coin can do similar.
    You can replicate bitcoin with AugeoCoin tomorrow. If you think it's that simple, have at it. :-)
    Ignore network effect at your peril. Ignore the security nightmare in getting such a network up to a certain scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Hi guys,I paid by card
    Couple days after I returned goods in unused/sealed condition and refund has been sent to my account
    No money arrived to my account and the seller ( very big company in Ireland ) says we can not do anything about it.
    The only way get money from them now is go to trough the court
    Welcome to cashless world guys !
    Never ever again I will pay for goods by card !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It'd probably mean that punters would actually be encouraged to "tap that" in strip clubs. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Hi guys,I paid by card
    Couple days after I returned goods in unused/sealed condition and refund has been sent to my account
    No money arrived to my account and the seller ( very big company in Ireland ) says we can not do anything about it.
    The only way get money from them now is go to trough the court
    Welcome to cashless world guys !
    Never ever again I will pay for goods by card !

Google "chargeback"

- how do you think it would have gone any different if you had paid by bank transfer or money order? (I presume this was something you bought online)

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Google "chargeback"

- how do you think it would have gone any different if you had paid by bank transfer or money order? (I presume this was something you bought online)
    I bought in shop using plastic card and money was returned to card because I paid by card.If I would pay by cash then I would get refund by cash.Now shop says there is nothing to do with us that you did not get money to your account.2 weeks gone since transaction.No matter what happened world is not ready to be cashless and never will ! Money not on your account ? Your Problem ! Keep sending cashless letters to emails served by robots or listen music on phone waiting for robot answer ! Just because you paid by card !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

I see another thread about shops not taking cash etc and it strikes me as a massive mistake as a society to Let it happen. It is an integral part of maintaining (even at this stage nearly a fiction) of privacy and it's elimination from society will not be a positive development.

Interested to hear other people's opinions..

As I see it, the types who come here boasting about boycotting businesses without tap and go facilities are useful idiots in a war against cash to control society better.

Just 50 years ago, large parts of Europe were living under fascism, cashless society is a dictators dream.

Careful what you wish for. This year has given us the lesson that anything can happen.

There are 100s of situations where cash is king. Twitter was hacked last week. Ulster bank system failure meant no money for its customers for about a week a few years back, comms error in a shop and the card won't work, phone battery dies....so many practical reasons plus the right to hedge your bets with 100k buried in the back garden in various currencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I bought in shop using plastic card and money was returned to card because I paid by card.If I would pay by cash then I would get refund by cash.Now shop says there is nothing to do with us that you did not get money to your account.2 weeks gone since transaction.No matter what happened world is not ready to be cashless and never will ! Money not on your account ? Your Problem ! Keep sending cashless letters to emails served by robots or listen music on phone waiting for robot answer ! Just because you paid by card !

Ring your back and ask where the refund is and a chargeback it's not rocket science. It's written into the rules of all cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i_surge wrote: »
    As I see it, the types who come here boasting about boycotting businesses without tap and go facilities are useful idiots in a war against cash to control society better.

Just 50 years ago, large parts of Europe were living under fascism, cashless society is a dictators dream.

Careful what you wish for. This year has given us the lesson that anything can happen.

There are 100s of situations where cash is king. Twitter was hacked last week. Ulster bank system failure meant no money for its customers for about a week a few years back, comms error in a shop and the card won't work, phone battery dies....so many practical reasons plus the right to hedge your bets with 100k buried in the back garden in various currencies.

Contactless doesn't go online for an authorisation.

Guys,I paid by card and got goods
    2 days after I refunded goods to the store and got refund
    5/11 days after I did not get refund
    Lot of stress,big enough money,I can not eat,I can not sleep,I started smoke when I hardly gave up !
    The shop representative ( big name in Ireland ) telling me ,..of ! I paid refund,what you want here ?!
    The store top manager tell ,..of ! I never had this here before ! You are scammer !
    They sending me to online support and online support send me back to the shop because they serve refunds for goods online only !
    5 visits to the shop,same number of calls to support centers ! I am lucky that shop is 500 mtrs away not 50km !
    I am very tired because I can not eat,I can not have enough attention to work ! Because big shop with big name says me ,..of ! Your money your problem !
    Guys,does it really worth be cashless ?
    I will take cash from bank machine but I will never pay by card anymore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

irishgeo wrote: »

It doesn't always go back, no - but I think the poster was making the point that any general terminal error can occur and if it did they would still take cash off of you. Focusing in on the comms part isn't really the issue..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,866 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lot of stress,big enough money,I can not eat,I can not sleep,I started smoke when I hardly gave up !
    The shop representative ( big name in Ireland ) telling me ,..of ! I paid refund,what you want here ?!
    The store top manager tell ,..of ! I never had this here before ! You are scammer !
    They sending me to online support and online support send me back to the shop because they serve refunds for goods online only !
    5 visits to the shop,same number of calls to support centers ! I am lucky that shop is 500 mtrs away not 50km !
    I am very tired because I can not eat,I can not have enough attention to work ! Because big shop with big name says me ,..of ! Your money your problem !

Where is your bank/lending institution in all this?

irishgeo wrote: »

All the other points still apply. So many scenarios, never a problem until it is a big and unnecessary problem the odd time it happens. My credit card company randomly put a security freeze on, my phone was at home to avoid touching it and i couldn't pay for a huge haul of groceries in the middle of lockdown but luckily i had cash.

So many scenarios easily avoided by not being a useful idiot.

I always carry card and cash.

Overheal wrote: »

Probably at the other end of the phone after an hour on hold these days.

Modernity brings its own problems, easily avoided by doing things the old school way where you still can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Jesus you’re having fierce trouble with financial organisations. You were saying your pension was being ripped off too in another thread

Cash in the attic is the only way for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭bmc58

It would be fantastic, every cent would accounted for.

Drug dealers would piss their pants.

What about elderly citizens who are not up to speed on all this modern chip and pin and swipe their cards?They are used to dealing in cash only.Have you given any thought to how they would be affected by your cashless utopia??Think outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

bmc58 wrote: »
    What about elderly citizens who are not up to speed on all this modern chip and pin and swipe their cards?They are used to dealing in cash only.Have you given any thought to how they would be affected by your cashless utopia??Think outside the box.

Stop treating older people as infants ffs

Overheal wrote: »
    Thanks to irishgeo suggestion I did phone call to the bank and they said me find out with retailer but when I told them what retailer told me they gave me some advice on dispute trough the bank.
    Now I have fill the form and bank will start dispute against retailer as far I understood.But question at the moment is Do we need waste our time ,be in stress when something does not work right ? If we go to cashless world everything must work as swiss watch if it does not work then dump the plastic in bin and get proper size wallet for the cash !

Thanks very much for your help guys ! I hope it will work better now than try find out trough the shop !

Dodge wrote: »
    Jesus you’re having fierce trouble with financial organisations. You were saying your pension was being ripped off too in another thread

Cash in the attic is the only way for you
    It will now ! I will pay by card only if other ways impossible .I do not want this ,. anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Murt10 wrote: »
    I've no problems with privacy. Revenue know what I earn, so there's nothing much to hide there.

I have accounts in various banks, so any one bank only sees what I want them to see.

Even in a cashless society there will always be small cash transactions. But if the majority of transactions go online then illegal or dubious transactions will be much harder to hide from Revenue and the Gardai.

Another poster mentioned that it might effect poor people disproportionately. I disagree. It may help them realise where they are spending all their money and keeping them poor.

Revolut do a monthly statement where they tell you how much you have spent under various headings: Fuel, groceries coffee etc. Looking through my statement (before Covid) I realised I was spending far more on coffee and doing so more frequently than I realised. So it can actually be useful like that.

How often have you taken out 50 or 100 and a day or two later you hadn't a penny. You wondered wher it was gone, but just couldn't account for it. In a cashless society you'll be able to see exactly wher you spent your money and make adjustments accordingly.

Finally, on the Revenue front, if everyone was paying their fair share of tax then the tax burden wouldn't be falling so hard on those who have no way of hiding it, and everyone would be paying a lower rate.

thats a fallacy if ever there was one, government will find someway to spend it no matter how much they get. Thats like offering an alcholic free beer & thinking that they'll say no thank you sir I have enough. seriously have you ever heard of a politician say no we take in enough tax as it is no more ?

so many practical reasons plus the right to hedge your bets with 100k buried in the back garden in various currencies.

If you actually did this, apart from the immediate currency loss and transaction fees from the CX (plus the monetary cost of a waterproof safe, plus the non-monetary cost of digging a deep enough hole in the garden), you would have year-on-year losses from inflation.

If you really, really wanted to do something like this, you'd be better off buying a lump of silver or gold.

• Advertisement

The other problem of cashless world is information about your activity which is visible in banks and are used .Start make money and serious guys will do the same creating competition for you.It is Lie that banks does not watch you ! It is Lie banks are not collecting information ! It is Lie that Revolut does not do the same ! We are not ready be a cashless because human are the worst creature ever created by God .
    From my side why I have pay taxes if I can not get good quality health care and my child can not get good quality education !? If I have pay extra from my pocket trying get it so why I have pay taxes at all !?
    Returning to cashless world there is many types of nations were things can work and not.
    For example cashless system from Sweeden will never work in Ireland because some things which is normal in Sweeden is not normal in Ireland and opposite

If you actually did this, apart from the immediate currency loss and transaction fees from the CX (plus the monetary cost of a waterproof safe, plus the non-monetary cost of digging a deep enough hole in the garden), you would have year-on-year losses from inflation.

If you really, really wanted to do something like this, you'd be better off buying a lump of silver or gold.
    One great man said You have so much money how much you can collect in cash per 30 min.

You don't have to bury bitcoin in the back garden. It's divisible to 8 places of decimal - gold isn't readily divisible at all. It's the native money of the internet - and with that, you can transact it from person a to person b - where-ever they are in the world - without any borders/banks/central banks/governments getting in the way.
    The other problem of cashless world is information about your activity which is visible in banks and are used .Start make money and serious guys will do the same creating competition for you.It is Lie that banks does not watch you ! It is Lie banks are not collecting information ! It is Lie that Revolut does not do the same ! We are not ready be a cashless because human are the worst creature ever created by God
    But we are going to be cashless - it's just a question of timing. Prepare for it - start getting used to decentralised digital currencies - and maintain your wealth and your privacy.

One great man said You have so much money how much you can collect in cash per 30 min.

I wonder what proportion of their respective fortunes that Warren Buffet and Bill Gates keep buried in cash in their back gardens...
    You don't have to bury bitcoin in the back garden. It's divisible to 8 places of decimal - gold isn't readily divisible at all. It's the native money of the internet - and with that, you can transact it from person a to person b - where-ever they are in the world - without any borders/banks/central banks/governments getting in the way.

While i think you are working from the premise that I think burying gold in the back garden is a good idea (I don't):
    • of course gold is readily divisible; if the internet crashed worldwide, you would still be able to divide your gold with a hammer and chisel
    • you can transact bits of gold to whoever you like and there will be no digital footprint whatsoever

While i think you are working from the premise that I think burying gold in the back garden is a good idea (I don't):
    Understood - but gold still has an issue in terms of storage and portability.
    • of course gold is readily divisible; if the internet crashed worldwide, you would still be able to divide your gold with a hammer and chisel
    Indeed - but it's hardly practical.
    Bitcoin can still be transacted if the internet crashes. It can be transacted via satellite (with that network online via 5 different satellites accessible around the world). So long as someone in the community can fire up a genny, then you can transact. In venezuela, it's also possible to transact via SMS. Tests have also been completed successfully on transacting via short wave radio. A bit early for this but Mesh Networks - when they become prolific in the not too distant - will also facilitate bitcoin transactions.

If nobody can fire up a genny - then gold isn't going to be much use either. That hammer and chisel will trump both gold and bitcoin in that instance (and any other weapon you can get your hands on).
    you can transact bits of gold to whoever you like and there will be no digital footprint whatsoever
    You mean once you've chipped a few flakes off with the hammer and chisel? I don't disagree but there are ways to transact bitcoin without leaving digital breadcrumbs behind. The reality is that we are in a digital world. If you want to get things done, you'll need to do so digitally. There's nothing wrong with that if decentralised means are used rather than the centralised means we've become accustomed to in recent times.

As I said before the human is the worse creature ever created by God.World will never cashless because too much coruption and cash is the king.Nobody want to show who and how finance political parties,banks does not want to lose profit from money loundering,builders does not want pay more for building houses.There wil be huge lobby against cashless and will enough one shop which will not help with refund like in my situation and all country will be against cashless world in Ireland.All people has something to hide guys and cash is the great helper.

But we are going to be cashless - it's just a question of timing. Prepare for it - start getting used to decentralised digital currencies - and maintain your wealth and your privacy.

The whole argument is about moving away from notional stores of value to something more tangible ;)

I predict bitcoin to be worthless in 10 years, certainly 20. Something else will come along. It is only used for speculation currently.

To the point above...the equivalent of cookies on your spending. Could happen, let's hope we don't wilfully erode our own freedoms.

The whole argument is about moving away from notional stores of value to something more tangible ;)
    That's open to debate as you're discounting two things. Bitcoin is an energy standard. Secondly, it's the pre-programmable nature of bitcoin that gives it its power. Nobody controls it. It's 'rules' are baked in and transparent from the outset (fixed supply, known circulatory volume and 'interest rate').
    I predict bitcoin to be worthless in 10 years, certainly 20.
    I've been hearing this for a couple of years already. I keep an open mind. However, it will only be replaced by something technologically superior. What will that be and how will it be better? In the meantime, bitcoin is benefiting from the Lindy Effect / ongoing network effect.
    It is only used for speculation currently.
    Its progress has been extraordinary. Remember we're talking about the transfer of value - it's the cornerstone of civilisation. That doesn't get changed in a day. Sure, there's a large speculative interest right now but we're already seeing it develop as a store of value and a hedge against central bank money.
    To my mind, the only thing its lacking is full development of it's layer 2 solution (Lightning Network) to facilitate fast/simple micro-transactions - together with much more work to be done on UI/UX such that your granny can use it.
    To the point above...the equivalent of cookies on your spending. Could happen, let's hope we don't willfully erode our own freedoms.
    It depends on how it's used. Right now there are ways to use it such that it's anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bmc58 wrote: »

The ATM was introduced to Ireland in 1980 , somebody who is 90 today would have been 50 at that point, still a decade of working left in them. I don't think for one second theres any elderly person who is sill independent and functional enough to be in charge of their own money who has no idea how to use an ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The ATM was introduced to Ireland in 1980 , somebody who is 90 today would have been 50 at that point, still a decade of working left in them. I don't think for one second theres any elderly person who is sill independent and functional enough to be in charge of their own money who has no idea how to use an ATM.

The ATM would back up the cash only surely? i.e. its the main means by which we withdraw cash. Its not accurate to use ATMS as the one example of cashless here.

Linking a debit card via open banking to revolut or getting apple/android pay set up on the mobile is different and I am sure the uptake in older people would be far less because its not something they are used to.

Advertisement