Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current trend of removing cash is a serious mistake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Since the start of 2018 it has been illegal to apply a surcharge to a customer because they are paying by card. This applies across the EU.

Has this been implemented in Irish law? European directives (Payment Services Directive in this case) are not law, only instructions for member states to make it into the local law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

grogi wrote: »
    It is not against the law. It might be against the agreement with card operator thought, but I cannot be sure.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/new-eu-rule-will-ban-charges-for-using-credit-card-35949337.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

grogi wrote: »
    It is not against the law. It might be against the agreement with card operator thought, but I cannot be sure.

Why are you making things up? It has been law since 2018. Why claim it isnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

"I work legal and I pay all taxes"

You do in your fcuk. You have admitted you dont.

People that pay taxes and help support this country are the hard workers. The people that evade tax, like yourself, are the scroungers and the conmen.

The worst part of all this is that you actually believe the stupid ****e you are sprouting.

How to Get Over Feeling Envious of Other People’s Money and Success

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/financial-wellness/how-to-get-over-feeling-envious-of-other-peoples-money-and-success/

What success do you have? You work 2 jobs mate.

• Advertisement

What success do you have? You work 2 jobs mate.
    I pay by cash not by Visa Credit card ! And I respect people around me ! No matter who they are.

I pay by cash not by Visa Credit card ! And I respect people around me ! No matter who they are.

You are making absolutely no sense so I think I'm just going to leave you at it. Enjoy the success of paying with cash, I suppose. Whatever that means.

You are making absolutely no sense so I think I'm just going to leave you at it. Enjoy the success of paying with cash, I suppose. Whatever that means.
    Enjoy your life not the posts at Boards ! All the Best !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Why are you making things up? It has been law since 2018. Why claim it isnt?

Quote Irish Statute. Otherwise it is not the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

People that defraud this country and the taxpayers of this country by tax evasion are not hard working. They are scumb@g cnuts.

why? because they choose to pay with cash?

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    why? because they choose to pay with cash?

That's not what was being discussed. He was referring to supporting dodgy cash in hand services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

That is against the law. Assuming you didn't just make that up (which you probably did), you should report them.
    The first at all they do Best Kebabs in town ! The next thing I always pay by cash and never asking for receipt because I support hard working people !

A place in temple bar? middle eastern food?

Had to pull them up this that 6 months ago.

do fabulous kebabs for sure, but poor behaviour needs to be called out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Seeing as we're stuck on cash vs. taxes This came up on my Twitter feed this morning...

Covid accelerates adoption of digital currency according to ECB President, Christine Lagarde. (speaking at a conference on 10th September.
    “The Eurosystem has so far not made a decision on whether to introduce a digital Euro, but like many other central banks around the world, we are exploring the benefits, risks and operational challenges of doing so.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

^^
    Nothing like concentrating monetary control, should make it easier to hold countries hostage when they push back against their monetary controllers!

Well, that didn't take long - the first Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) is now out there in the ether.

LINK

It'll take a few years to get this going properly but it's already under way. If you still want to stay in control of your money, now might be a good time to start to get a bit more curious about decentralised cryptocurrency.

Well, that didn't take long - the first Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) is now out there in the ether.

marla dukharan has been heavily involved in this occuring, I think she's in it for the right reasons, and it does look like other central banks are seriously investigating cryptos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What is a digital euro?

Most money these days does not exist in cash form.

What is the difference between "digital euros", and the euros that my employer pays me, and that I spend, without ever using cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Geuze wrote: »
    What is a digital euro?

Most money these days does not exist in cash form.

What is the difference between "digital euros", and the euros that my employer pays me, and that I spend, without ever using cash?
    The removal of cash, and the potential to have 100% control over your and everyones entire financial life and ability to (or not to) interact with all areas of the economy, at the turn of a key. Except for wealthy people with offshore funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Polar101

KyussB wrote: »
    The removal of cash, and the potential to have 100% control over your and everyones entire financial life and ability to (or not to) interact with all areas of the economy, at the turn of a key.

Okay, but how does that differ from the current situation (other than that I couldn't use coins, or go to an ATM to withdraw notes from my account)?

Right now, if the idiot who fills in my timesheet forgets to do it, I don't get paid. Or if Bank of Ireland is having trouble with their transactions, I don't get paid. I have 0% of control already, so what am I going to lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,853 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »

That is such a European thing to call it that. Not like any attempt at "EUcoin" etc.? No imagination. No pizazz. $ for life baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hmmm lots of people mad to let banks control their lives here.

Bank glitch happens... if you have no cash..how do you survive? Cards won’t work.

Has already happened before and will do again. If banking crisis forces banks to stop working, where will you get a pint of milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

I personally use my bank card as much as possible, don't like having cash on me

NSAman wrote:
    Has already happened before and will do again. If banking crisis forces banks to stop working, where will you get a pint of milk?

Central banks can never run out of money, the constriction of banking operations during the last crisis was more politically motivated than anything, it's highly unlikely the whole financial system would be allowed collapse. it's possible all citizens would be given direct access to the ecb if a serious banking crisis occurred, if a major amount of banks were forced to close etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I don't have a bank account. Why would i give them money?

Wages paid into Credit Union, if I need it I use Revoult

are you finding any issues with this approach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

NSAman wrote: »
    If banking crisis forces banks to stop working, where will you get a pint of milk?

Stop drinking milk. it's the only logical solution to your strawman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Yes you do.

Credit Union is backed by the Banks and stores a lot of its reserve with BoI AFAIK.

Since when is Revolut not a Bank Account? They have a banking license.

Advertisement