Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't agree with it as it sets a dangerous precedent, but didn't the people of Bristol want it taken down and the authorities did nothing for years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't agree with it as it sets a dangerous precedent, but didn't the people of Bristol want it taken down and the authorities did nothing for years?

Exactly right.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

80 slave owners, so Ireland not quite an economy based on slavery then?

Ireland finally abolished slavery in 1995 when the Magdalen Laundries were shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

growleaves wrote: »
    I haven't been following this discussion but the legacy of Anglo-Irish slaveholders isn't our problem. We exited the British Empire 100 years ago.

Hamiltons are a prominent family in the British peerage, i.e. upper-class. Look at Burke's peerage.

Sure, but I would go a lot further and say that although English aristocrats made money in slavery, the UK's economy was not mostly built on slaves. It would be have been a small percent. In contrast in the Anglo Saxon period when 1 in 10 were slaves it may have been a decent % percent of GDP. Also I guarantee you that people in a few years will try to make the claim that Ireland's wealth is based on slavery money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

80 slave owners, so Ireland not quite an economy based on slavery then?

Ireland wasn't even a country - it's economy was part of the economy of the United Kingdom.

But you know that having done your reading on the economies of the British, Dutch and Spanish empires and how they benefited from the Slave Trade.

You have done that haven't you?

Or are you just here to tell us about happy slaves and women volunteering for multiple surgical procedures without anesthetic or sanitary conditions seeing as you appear to have extensive knowledge of medical practices in the mid 1800s?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ireland wasn't even a country - it's economy was part of the economy of the United Kingdom.

But you know that having done your reading on the economies of the British, Dutch and Spanish empires and how they benefited from the Slave Trade.

Or are you just here to tell us about happy slaves and women volunteering for multiple surgical procedures without anesthetic or sanitary conditions seeing as you appear to have extensive knowledge of medical practices in the mid 1800s?

So what's your argument?
    That it's our fault that the people who colonised us and subjugated us with discrimnatory penal laws kept some slaves?

Head over to Xinjiang and tell the Uighers to atone for China's oppression in Tibet and see how far that gets you.

Also some of our ports would have been significantly involved in the slave trade if I recall correctly?

In relation to the surgery thing, I'm not sure how anyone could claim a woman volunteered for surgery thirty times over four years. Surgeries that generally failed and would have caused greater issues.

would defer to our resident scholars ofc but

divvying responsibility/benefit up by nation is to me a hugely flawed way to even start.

you're talking about a time far before modern bills of rights or etc and its not like the common citizenry had today's influence over how their great and good ran things

well and good to say irish ascendancy class (or whoever) profited from slavery and subsequently may have spread their beneficence such that the local peasants saw some good of it

it's a terrible angle to take imo, even if correct when viewed through that narrow lens

collective responsibility needs a seriously robust framework of social structure to make any sense whatsoever as an ideology and human society just hasnt had that framework in place in any meaningful way for it to apply in this posited instance imo

tear the statue down, sure. "all white irish benefitted from slavery" ah no trevor not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd say that dumping images of historical sites and snidely wondering when they're next is lazier.

Invoking the Nazis in relation to people who took down a statue of a slaver. Classy.

Classy?

I clearly reached as far out as possible to make point, surely that was obvious.

How are things on the moral high ground?

Put me out of my majesty your misery.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

They need to leave that mofo in the water. Me and my home boys started struttin towards the city center this morning. Damn the goddamn police,. I’m over lockdown but still social distancing as I fight for justice. Nearly in Sandymount and won’t be long until we get us some family buckets at the KFC in Westmorland st. Me and my posse will start break dancing and rapping for justice on O Connell bridge this afternoon , we will show those pale face honkys what a few brothers from Dalkey, Snoop Dogg and a Bluetooth speaker can do.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

When slavery was abolished in the British Empire slave owners were compensated for the loss of their 'property' under the Slavery Abolition Act 1833.
    Historians are mapping where those who received compensation lived.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/maps/britain/#zoom=7&lng=-8.469285&lat=51.896225&lbs/person_id=17138

Among the 80 compensated slave owners so far discovered on the island of Ireland, and the 7 in Cork, was the Reverend Archibald Robert Hamilton (1778-1857), with an address on the South Terrace .
    In 1835 he received £94 13s 1d for the 'loss' of 7 slaves in Kingston, Jamaica; and £5,253 10s 2d for 251 slaves in the parish of St Andrew, Jamaica.

That is eqv to £683,841 today working out as each human being he owned was worth an average £2,650 in today's money.

The freed slaves received exactly zero.

80 on the island of Ireland, a part of the British Empire.

I've seen the spectre of Irish slave owners raised here on more than one occasion, rarely with the context of this island being firmly under British rule at the time being mentioned.

Should we as a nation feel some sort of guilt for our "involvement" in slavery?
    Or were we also victims of the same empire, just as downtrodden and dehumanised as anyone else?

How quickly we forget our own history to clamour to take responsibility for abuses carried out by those who abused us as well.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Do the people here objecting to this have a similar issue with what happened nelsons pillar?

Would you be happy to see a statue of Cromwell in Eyre Square?

°°°°°

Paddygreen wrote: »
    They need to leave that mofo in the water. Me and my home boys started struttin towards the city center this morning. Damn the goddamn police,. I’m over lockdown but still social distancing as I fight for justice. Nearly in Sandymount and won’t be long until we get us some family buckets at the KFC in Westmorland st. Me and my posse will start break dancing and rapping for justice on O Connell bridge this afternoon , we will show those pale face honkys what a few brothers from Dalkey, Snoop Dogg and a Bluetooth speaker can do.

Doesn't look like you're getting the weather for it.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Do the people here objecting to this have a similar issue with what happened nelsons pillar?

Plenty of people lamented the destruction of Nelsons column, an act carried out by the IRA lest we forget.

Anything can and should be removed but in a mature and responsible manner.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Also some of our ports would have been significantly involved in the slave trade if I recall correctly?

In relation to the surgery thing, I'm not sure how anyone could claim a woman volunteered for surgery thirty times over four years. Surgeries that generally failed and would have caused greater issues.

A slave would be lucky to survive one surgery then.

What about the medical experiments carried out in orphanages in this country in the 20th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Sadiq Khan wants a complete change of public monuments and street names because they don't reflect the new diversity.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1270258604256514049

I'm sure when Khan's parents moved from Pakistan to Britain in 1968 they thought, "This is nice. We now have a good education system, a health system, a legal system, varied employment, law and order and plenty of entertainment. It's a pity it was all created by white people."

Also in the news today: Pakistan still struggles to build things that don't fall down.

Pakistan: Building collapse in Karachi kills 13 people

https://apnews.com/bdf1178da06867c859d098c49dc01e0b

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

°°°°°

Sadiq Khan wants a complete change of public monuments and street names because they don't reflect the new diversity.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1270258604256514049

I'm sure when Khan's parents moved from Pakistan to Britain in 1968 they thought, "This is nice. We now have a good education system, a health system, a legal system, varied employment, law and order and plenty of entertainment. It's a pity it was all created by white people."

Also in the news today: Pakistan still struggles to build things that don't fall down.

Pakistan: Building collapse in Karachi kills 13 people

https://apnews.com/bdf1178da06867c859d098c49dc01e0b

Makes you wonder how well screwed together their nukes are.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I've seen the spectre of Irish slave owners raised here on more than one occasion

Many of them are literally Lords and Ladies from the upper reaches of the British peerage.

°°°°°

growleaves wrote: »
    Many of them are literally Lords and Ladies from the upper reaches of the British peerage.

Of course, but they were white, Irish people are white too so we all have to take responsibility for what they did because being white is offensive to people who aren't white supposedly.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Plenty of people lamented the destruction of Nelsons column, an act carried out by the IRA lest we forget.

Anything can and should be removed but in a mature and responsible manner.

Lest we forget, the IRA of 1966 was a lot different to the more modern one, and had a lot more support.

This is how Wikipedia recorded the mood of it also.

Reactions among the general public were relatively light-hearted, typified by the numerous songs inspired by the incident. These included the immensely popular "Up Went Nelson", set to the tune of "John Brown's Body" and performed by a group of Belfast schoolteachers, which remained at the top of the Irish charts for eight weeks.[94]

What should happen in this Country and in the UK is that all public monuments, statues and references to historic people such as street names get reviewed for their suitability to today’s society. If they are not suitable then they can be moved to museums or destroyed Altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is ridiculous about setting up a commission to look into who deserves being celebrated by a city? Thought that was what people wanted to happen rather than a mob deciding things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What are they even protesting for? In the UK last year only TWO unarmed people were killed, one was the London Bridge terrorist.

Absolute degenerates.
    The London Bridge terrorist who murdered decent people after the British legal system though he was rehabilitated and released him to kill

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    So what's your argument?
    That it's our fault that the people who colonised us and subjugated us with discrimnatory penal laws kept some slaves?

Head over to Xinjiang and tell the Uighers to atone for China's oppression in Tibet and see how far that gets you.

That's some leaping to tall conclusions there Superman.

And lashings of whatabout.

Pity you know so little about the Penal Laws (like the fact that they were in force in England. Wales, and Scotland as well and aimed at all Non-Anglicans) but it seems that is par for the course in this thread.

When faced with verifiable facts the response is hyperbole and whataboutery.

Let the people judge what adorns their streets. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Lest we forget, the IRA of 1966 was a lot different to the more modern one, and had a lot more support.

This is how Wikipedia recorded the mood of it also.

Reactions among the general public were relatively light-hearted, typified by the numerous songs inspired by the incident. These included the immensely popular "Up Went Nelson", set to the tune of "John Brown's Body" and performed by a group of Belfast schoolteachers, which remained at the top of the Irish charts for eight weeks.[94]

What should happen in this Country and in the UK is that all public monuments, statues and references to historic people such as street names get reviewed for their suitability to today’s society. If they are not suitable then they can be moved to museums or destroyed Altogether.

I agree. It's terrible that we have a street in Dublin named after Thierry Henry after he cheating us out of the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I think a level of decolonisation is sensible but it can easily be overdone and it shouldn't be done by mobs. The idea of kneeling on a statue like they did with Colston is totally cringeyworthy and is using an African American symbol in the UK which doesn't make any sense. Blowing up of Nelson was at the very least criminally dangerous and thuggish. UCC had a Queen Vic stature, and in the 1930s it was replaced with St Finbar, and Vic which is now in a museum stall in the university, which is a sensible approach. But it is Cork and not Bristol so much more cohesive society.

Oxter wrote: »
    A slave would be lucky to survive one surgery then.

What about the medical experiments carried out in orphanages in this country in the 20th century?

And the fact is, one of the women was operated on thirty times. I equally condemn everything that happened in our orphanages. I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It actually makes sense for these things to be reviewed. Life moves on, what was deserving of a statue 50 years ago, may not need one today. Culture evolves and the people important to that culture can change. History isn't crystallised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

That's some leaping to tall conclusions there Superman.

And lashings of whatabout.

Pity you know so little about the Penal Laws (like the fact that they were in force in England. Wales, and Scotland as well and aimed at all Non-Anglicans) but it seems that is par for the course in this thread.

When faced with verifiable facts the response is hyperbole and whataboutery.

So can you clarify your position or are you just going to hide behind patronising and irrelevant non sequitars?

Advertisement