Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I fear you are probably right.
    But I live in hope of people educating themselves.

I think the protesters and activists probably have or at least a portion of them will.

There's a different vibe emanating from this. It's not going to change British society in and of itself but I do think it represents a real step forward. People are going to wonder what this is about and they're going to find out.

This country is well overdue a reckoning with its past.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

markodaly wrote: »
    Breaking news. History is more nuanced than, one guy 100% good or the other guy 100% bad. Who knew?? Amazing discovery! :p

This is, of course, true for any historical figure anywhere at any time.
    Edward Colston was a slave trader, well must be 100% bad then, as that is essentially what we are now being told.

Yeah that was precisely the point of the post. "I would prefer to know the full story that he was a racist and a lot of other things, both good and bad - because he's a real person".

So you managed to miss the point and the tell me the point as if you just figured it out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Nermal wrote: »
    Do you hear that, Sir Francis Drake (Plymouth Hoe)? Knight, mayor, MP, explorer, privateer, second person to circumnavigate the planet?

Across almost five centuries, can you hear the thundering judgement of boards.ie forum member 'protonmike'?

He says you're 'pretty awful'.

Francis Drake was nothing but an actual pirate man. Just because he has a "sir" quadrangled in front of his name doesn't make him anything other than what he was, or how he rose his game, which was though theft and robbing other ships on the oceans. Just because he gave a piece of the loot to some red haired wan sitting on her arse in a fancy seat and a fancy dress doesn't make the robbing $hitrat anything other than just exactly that.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

So what meet up in a large group (even though we're still in the middle of the largest global pandemic in 100 years), topple a statue of a man who's been dead for 299 years and throw it into a harbour (which someone else has to fish out now of course).

All done while on a march to support what increasingly looks like a far left, racist, anarchist group (BLM).

Edward Colston may not have been the nicest man but I'd call into question both the timing and brain cells of the 'protestors'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Inbetweeners couldn't be made today.

And it started only ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

alf garnett would be a satan incarnate now...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I suppose it makes sense, most of these types probably believe the Vicky pollard character was written about their mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Christy42 wrote: »
    You are calling people European and African who have never been to those continents. Don't give out about others critical thinking. Why do you stop there BTW? Both could be divided up far more heavily on geographic / genetic levels.

What do you with mixtures of genetics? How many years where the native Irish here before we became Irish? Presumably the first people on the rock were not Irish so at some point down the line they switched. Seems to take a good few generations for you. If someone gets 1000 years of their family all born and raised in the US will they be American and not European/African? If so will you be able to tell the difference between them and Europeans? And if not should we not all be Africans?

Would you pose the same doubts to an aboriginal regarding the loss of their lands?

American Indians?

Or do you reserve "just asking questions" exclusively for one very specific group of people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The Inbetweeners couldn't be made today.

And it started only ten years ago.

That's pathetic. There's much more lewd comedy being produced right, left and centre.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That's pathetic. There's much more lewd comedy being produced right, left and centre.

A perfect example is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, it constantly pushes the bar and is on around 15 seasons.

• Advertisement

A perfect example is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, it constantly pushes the bar and is on around 15 seasons.

Yep but we've the same people just ignoring facts and pretending to be oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Completely agree. That's such an absolutely lazy argument. Satire is always being made. South Park should be disproof of this "you couldn't make that now", guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Banksy has a solution.

Put the statue back up, but tiled backwards. Commission bronze statues of protestors pulling it down with bronze ropes.

People who want the statue back up get it back up, the protestors' actions get commerated. Everyone happy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBNmTVZsDKS/?utm_source=ig_embed

I thought banksys image was interesting... The protestors pulling the statue down on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

buried wrote: »
    Francis Drake was nothing but an actual pirate man. Just because he has a "sir" quadrangled in front of his name doesn't make him anything other than what he was, or how he rose his game, which was though theft and robbing other ships on the oceans. Just because he gave a piece of the loot to some red haired wan sitting on her arse in a fancy seat and a fancy dress doesn't make the robbing $hitrat anything other than just exactly that.

No need to go on, I already liked him!

But seriously, do you think some witless fool will engage in pointless moralising about you nearly half a millennium from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And yet Little Britain gets taken off, people have got very sensitive it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Well quite, Francis Drake was a privateer - ie was encouraged by the English government to kill people and steal their property. A very unpleasant character quite apart from the slave trading.

And yet Little Britain gets taken off, people have got very sensitive it seems.

They're removing shows that featured white actors employing blackface. I don't have an issue with this and frankly, putting it down to sensitivity is just disingenuous.

You could always complain to Netflix yourself but I doubt anyone here would bother themselves. Easier to just moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

Gradius wrote: »
    Would you pose the same doubts to an aboriginal regarding the loss of their lands?

American Indians?

Or do you reserve "just asking questions" exclusively for one very specific group of people?

Native Americans are currently badly treated. Would I give them the entire US back? No. Of course not, history has moved on. We should not forget but we can't undo it. I do believe both groups of people are currently badly treated which I would obviously disagree with.

I may have missed the point of your post though? I wasn't just asking questions. My post had nothing to do with land ownership. Yes what Europeans did to native Americans was horrific and should not be forgotten. Native Americans also need to be treated better today. However it seems likely that at some point I had ancestors invading somewhere. I ain't shipping off wherever that ancestor is from originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Another monument venerating a person who profited from inter-generational torture removed.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1270425865273389056

Maybe they could designate a bit of the English Channel for these statues in memorial of those slaves who were thrown in, threw themselves in, or tossed their children in to save them from a miserable life.

The salty tears of the broflakes would be delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Nermal wrote: »
    No need to go on, I already liked him!

But seriously, do you think some witless fool will engage in pointless moralising about you nearly half a millennium from now?

I won't be remembered at all except for maybe my descendants. But at least I won't be remembered for robbing anything from anyone either, unlike your hero Frank!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Wheres all the protests against modern slavery?some countries are notorious. Should we direct our angrer towards that? We could actually help now.instead of worrying about the pasties

Christy42 wrote: »
    Native Americans are currently badly treated. Would I give them the entire US back? No. Of course not, history has moved on. We should not forget but we can't undo it. I do believe both groups of people are currently badly treated which I would obviously disagree with.

I may have missed the point of your post though? I wasn't just asking questions. My post had nothing to do with land ownership. Yes what Europeans did to native Americans was horrific and should not be forgotten. Native Americans also need to be treated better today. However it seems likely that at some point I had ancestors invading somewhere. I ain't shipping off wherever that ancestor is from originally.

My point was this. If an aboriginal started talking about the rights of their people to Australia, would you start questioning them about what "aboriginal" means?

Would you deflect their claims by talking about genetics and how they really aren't a properly defined group etc etc?

Have you ever questioned such a thing of any other group of people besides Europeans?

Wheres ally he protests against modern slavery?some countries are notorious. Should we direct our angry towards that. We could actually help.

There are loads of things that ought to change. But the reality is that people campaign for certain issues and they either gather momentum or they don't. There are loads of people campaigning on modern slavery. The UK passed new laws on modern slavery in 2015.

Antislavery.org is another resource for this kind of activism. Its a good cause.

Wheres all the protests against modern slavery?some countries are notorious. Should we direct our angrer towards that? We could actually help now.instead of worrying about the pasties

Sure I brought that up in excruciating detail all ready. Not even a semblance of a reply.

March and destruct in countries that abolished slavery centuries ago? Great idea!

March and destruct in countries where slavery is rampant, right now, today? Even against embassies of those countries? *crickets*

The hypocrisy is ludicrous, and the underlying explanation is insidious.

Gradius wrote: »
    Sure I brought that up in excruciating detail all ready. Not even a semblance of a reply.

March and destruct in countries that abolished slavery centuries ago? Great idea!

March and destruct in countries where slavery is rampant, right now, today? Even against embassies of those countries? *crickets*

The hypocrisy is ludicrous, and the underlying explanation is insidious.

It really is a crazy stance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Little Britain cancelled, ffs lads.

Has the mob started burning books yet ? Only a matter of time I suppose.

statesaver wrote: »
    Little Britain cancelled, ffs lads.

Has the mob started burning books yet ? Only a matter of time I suppose.

This trivialises the real issues

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They're removing shows that featured white actors employing blackface. I don't have an issue with this and frankly, putting it down to sensitivity is just disingenuous.

You could always complain to Netflix yourself but I doubt anyone here would bother themselves. Easier to just moan.

No moaning here lad, sure I suppose you agree with it being taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Another monument venerating a person who profited from inter-generational torture removed.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1270425865273389056

Maybe they could designate a bit of the English Channel for these statues in memorial of those slaves who were thrown in, threw themselves in, or tossed their children in to save them from a miserable life.

The salty tears of the broflakes would be delicious.

Statues of such people should never have been erected in the first place.

But it's a pity they are being removed in support of a seemingly radical left, anarchist group like BLM instead of in support for the descendants of slaves (which would hopefully be backed by democratic decision).

Advertisement