Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Are there statues of Oliver Cromwell and William of Orange in Ireland?

Billy had a statute outside or close to Trinity before the Free State was founded

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There were statues of both in Milltown Castle in Cork.
    Both were stolen - along with 2 stone eagles - but later found in a field in Clare.
    Apparently both statues were already there when the Keane family took over the estate in the 1890s.
    There is no evidence to state the theft was politically motivated - but during the War of Independence a local IRA man did give Cromwell a belt of a hammer and broke his nose.
    Presumably both are back there now.

The Cromwell Statue outside Westminster in London has always been controversial and had a lot to do with political fighting between the Tories (Anti-Cromwell) and the Whigs (Pro-Cromwell). It was paid for eventually by the former Whig PM Lord Rosebery after a vote in Parliament for it to be paid for out of public funds was defeated by the Tories and Irish Parliamentary Party voting against it.

One Orange Lodge in Belfast marches under a Cromwell banner, most march under King William.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

There used to be a statue of Queen Victoria in UCC, anyone know if that's still there or on display?

There used to be a statue of Queen Victoria in UCC, anyone know if that's still there or on display?

It's in a glass case in the Tyndall Building.

Little outline of it's history by John Murphy here https://www.ucc.ie/en/news/archive/2014andbeyond/2011pressreleases/queen-victoria-statue-at-tyndall-national-institute-ucc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So this orange lodge March for the famous republican Oliver Cromwell, just when I thought things couldn't get more nuanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

I'm sure the leftie mob will be demanding that the Che Guevera murals in Derry and Belfast be painted over considering his views on blacks and Africans over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

statesaver wrote: »
    Gone with the Wind cancelled HBO Max remove it. Fr. Ted next ?

This comes to mind...

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

By the end of this most Stanley Kubrick movies will be banned, graphic novels too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm sure the leftie mob will be demanding that the Che Guevera murals in Derry and Belfast be painted over considering his views on blacks and Africans over the years.

And of course, all those who broadened their minds and "find themselves" travelling the world only visit countries with no checkered pasts, and historical sites erected by hired, professional builders :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bullocks wrote: »
    We could well have know him. He enriched himself in a lot more ways than trading in slaves.

He traded in the slaves, and then in the things that the slaves produced. Through the Royal African Company he had a monopoly on the trading of slaves in England by a royal charter.

Has no body mentioned the slave labour market in US prisons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

robinph wrote: »

Might it be that it would have taken decades more for anything to happen if not for one well behaved mob?

Phew...a well behaved mob.

There's the problem right there...mob.

All laws and rules can now be discarded as long as the "mob" are well behaved.

Murals in NI are constantly being 'painted over'. On both sides of the Sectarian divide.

But I wasn't aware there were any in prominent sites right in the city centres, or that Guevera was involved in anyway in the economy of NI, or that these murals are 'official' monuments, or that the city councils had ignored years of public calls for them to be painted over.

So it's not at all the same thing is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A BLM protester in Sweden wants Carolus Linnaeus' statues removed.

Swedish man Linnaeus did in 1735 group humans according to continent.
    "Europaeus" was sanguine, Asiaticus was melancholic, Americanus was choleric and Afer was phlegmatic.
    These were derived from the Greek concept of "humours" which still was popular back then.

Linnaeus also formalised binomial nomenclature, the modern system of naming organisms.
    He is known as the "father of modern taxonomy" and this is why there are statues of him around.

But now, 300 years later someone that immigrated to Sweden from Gambia takes offence and he's got to go.
    Cancel culture is spreading.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Has no body mentioned the slave labour market in US prisons...

Point us to the statue honouring the person who thought of this, and made their fortune from it, and we'll make sure a leftist mob gets there asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why wouldn't there be Jewish people in Ireland?

There have been Jewish people here for centuries - there was a pamphlet published in 1714 by an Irish philosopher advocating they be allowed to become naturalised citizens, in 1746 an bill was published in the Irish parliament to allow them to naturalise, Daniel O'Connell was a staunch advocate of Jewish Emancipation (they were also victims of the Penal Laws), and during the Famine Jewish families contributed a huge amount to relief efforts.

There have also been 'non-white' people in Ireland for centuries - not in great numbers but still here. For example Rachel Baptiste was a singer born in Ireland in c1750 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_Baptist - she was not white, she was also one of the estimated 1000 -3000 black people here at the time.

The only reason there would be no Jews would be that they went sent off to the Death camps - along with Quakers, Christian Scientists, Gypsies, Homosexuals and anyone else deemed sub-human.

There is no evidence to support the supposition that a Nazi regime would allow the revival of the Irish language, nor that Irish people (who are non -Ayran) would become citizens of the Third Reich. If you think otherwise perhaps you should have a look at where 19th C Race Theory so beloved by the Nazi's places the Irish.

I don't know if Russell was a Nazi sympathiser - it has not been proven he did anything more than seek to ally himself with the enemies of his enemies. Perhaps he was, or perhaps he was naive in the extreme and blinded by his hatred of the British authorities.

However, it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that Eoin O'Duffy (first leader of FG and 2nd Comissioner of An Garda Síochána) was a fascist - he even fought along side the Nazis in the Spanish Civil War.

This is almost certain to have happened under any government installed by a victorious Germany after WWII.

The only reason Edward Colston was praised instead of reviled for 300 years in the UK is because he was a supporter of King James II who defected to William of Orange in 1689 when he invaded England to depose King James II.

William of Orange was deeply involved in the slave trade. The Dutch (the disgusting Dutch many say) were massively over represented.

There is a statue of William in Carrickfergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Murals in NI are constantly being 'painted over'. On both sides of the Sectarian divide.

But I wasn't aware there were any in prominent sites right in the city centres, or that Guevera was involved in anyway in the economy of NI, or that these murals are 'official' monuments, or that the city councils had ignored years of public calls for them to be painted over.

So it's not at all the same thing is it?

I'm just presuming the lefties will be consistent in calling out memorials to racists whether that be Guevera or Columbus

Personally, I'd leave them all be, but if the lefties are gonna demand the removal of memorials ,itd be great if they were consistent about it.

Point us to the statue honouring the person who thought of this, and made their fortune from it, and we'll make sure a leftist mob gets there asap.

Surely fixing the slavery problems of today is more important than removing statues

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.nbc12.com/2020/06/09/christopher-columbus-statue-torn-down-thrown-lake-by-protesters/

They will create nothing of value, nothing that will last, nothing that will be cherished.

Just coddled nihilistic vandals raging against the nearest symbol they can find of the civilisation that made them. Overgrown teenagers.

I wonder where are the 'free the press people' now?
    At the height of the destruction, agitators attacked an NBC 12 photographer, demanding he leaves the scene.

A small crowd of people waved boards in the photographer’s face, grabbed him and attacked his camera.

He was able to return to work after the incident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Surely fixing the slavery problems of today is more important than removing statues

No because if they did fix this issue the the trendy middle class would not have cheap labour to do the jobs they dont want to do.

Absurd. Look at the behaviour of the Christian Right in America for just one example. The sooner religion withers and dies, the better off this species will be.

That is a very simplistic take on human nature. Absurdly simple in fact.
    For example, the two biggest wars in the last century had nothing to do with religion.

I'm just presuming the lefties will be consistent in calling out memorials to racists whether that be Guevera or Columbus

Personally, I'd leave them all be, but if the lefties are gonna demand the removal of memorials ,itd be great if they were consistent about it.

And if the righties were honest about why they want to leave memorials to slave traders alone that would also be great. But there you have it.

Personally, I think anything that gets the public educating themselves about people who have literally been put on pedestals is a good thing over all,regardless of who that person is be it Guevera or Columbus or Sean Russell and then people can make an informed decision as to whether or not they believe that person merits honouring in a public space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Laughable listening to the establishment sorts cheering on these BLM and Antifa thugs. Pure scum the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭blackbox

After we remove every statue and painting that gives offence, we will have to go around removing every photograph of the statues and paintings and every document about them.

In Newspeak they won't ever have existed.

blackbox wrote: »
    After they remove every statue and painting that gives offence, they will have to go around removing every photograph of the statues and paintings and every document about them.

In Newspeak they won't ever have existed.

Orwell hated the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Orwell hated the Irish.

So what?

And if the righties were honest about why they want to leave memorials to slave traders alone that would also be great. But there you have it.

Personally, I think anything that gets the public educating themselves about people who have literally been put on pedestals is a good thing over all,regardless of who that person is be it Guevera or Columbus or Sean Russell and then people can make an informed decision as to whether or not they believe that person merits honouring in a public space.

Well it will come to a stage where there will be no statues left if society continues in this cancel culture. Mob rule is still mob rule after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭blackbox

Orwell hated the Irish.

We'll remove all of his works. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    We'll remove all of his works. Problem solved.

Fine by me. He was an apologist for the most evil Empire in history. The British Empire.

Advertisement