Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yurt! wrote: »
    Well not exactly. There was an embargo on Germany, so the German arm of Coca Cola couldn't get their hands on the syrup from the US or other allied countries. They came up with Fanta instead.

I don't think the Nazi party were preoccupied with carbonated beverages, they had rather more dastardly things on their mind.

When can we start looting Hugo Boss stores? Do we stop wearing Levis now because Levi Strauss was a Jew and would probably have been pro Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

George Orwell, 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mick087 wrote: »
    Thats what the Natzis said wipe the slate clean, Thats what the French and Russian Revolution said, Its what every good or bad cause always says, lets wipe the slate clean and move forward. In relaity you wont have a fantastic world to enough people want the same.

you are arguing with a parody. at least i think its a parody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

you are arguing with a parody. at least i think its a parody

Maybe his or her quote was a parody but someone who takes the time to quote deserves a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe his or her quote was a parody but someone who takes the time to quote deserves a reply.

Paddygreen isn't quoting anyone. He's just parodying. Most of his posts are like that.

• Advertisement

Paddygreen isn't quoting anyone. He's just parodying. Most of his posts are like that.

Thanks Gregor,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

George Orwell, 1984

That's grand because those things aren't happening. Streets are renamed all the time so that's nothing to worry about and history is still being written and recorded. The issue is that MORE historical information is coming to light about a historical character.

Lads, Orwell would be spinning in his grave if he knew his work on actual totalitarianism was being thrown around willy-nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

The issue is that MORE historical information is coming to light about a historical character.

Is it? Precisely what information did the mob uncover about Edward Colston that we weren't already in possession of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That's grand because those things aren't happening. Streets are renamed all the time so that's nothing to worry about and history is still being written and recorded. The issue is that MORE historical information is coming to light about a historical character.

Lads, Orwell would be spinning in his grave if he knew his work on actual totalitarianism was being thrown around willy-nilly.

Nothing like a bit of scaremongering to brighten up a wet wed afternoon.
    A statue of some obscure figure in Bristol gets pulled down and before you know, it's the end of the world as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Rather I think he'd be watching a movement like this with a keen eye.

The social conditions of African Americans are a huge problem and have persisted for far too long. However, the moral capital and good will of movements like this quickly get exhausted when bad actors and demagogues take the pilot's seat.

• Advertisement

Look at the threads in current affairs and keep telling yourself that. Cashless society, mandatory vaccines, questionable lockdowns, police with extra powers, statues being pulled down.

It’s happening right in front of your eyes but you’re too blind to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nermal wrote: »
    Is it? Precisely what information did the mob uncover about Edward Colston that we weren't already in possession of?

i dont know about you but i had never heard of the guy and that he was responsible for the death of 19000 people so it was very educational for me.

Nermal wrote: »

I would say far more people are familiar with both how and why the statue was put in place. How the amount he contributed to Bristol is exaggerated. I would also say far more people across the UK and Ireland are aware of who Edward Colston is. On top of that, the statue is being put in a museum where Colston's true history is actually elaborated on..

I would say it's far more historically beneficial than the actual statue ever was.
    Look at the threads in current affairs and keep telling yourself that. Cashless society, mandatory vaccines, questionable lockdowns, police with extra powers, statues being pulled down.

Might want to run over to the conspiracies forum if you're so paranoid about vaccines. Weird how people who read 1984 also rarely if ever have read the other writings of Orwell. I would suspect he wouldn't be so upset by a statue being toppled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

markodaly wrote: »
    I see you ignored the question and went on a lengthy but ultimately obtuse monologue.
    Seeing as you didn't answer the question the first time out, I won't ask again, as I feel all you are interested in is arguing to the point of absurdity.

You want me to tell you if I would support a motion to take down a statue when I don't know the reason for the motion, who proposed it, what they intend to do with the statue etc etc?

And I am being absurd.

Sorry if my being an adult who prefers to consider all the information before making a decision offends you.

I didn't oppose it the last time it was taken down as I had all that information and agreed with the reasoning.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Rather I think he'd be watching a movement like this with a keen eye.

The social conditions of African Americans are a huge problem and have persisted for far too long. However, the moral capital and good will of movements like this quickly get exhausted when bad actors and demagogues take the pilot's seat.

The social conditions of some people in Ireland is a huge problem and have been for far to long.
    Let us in Ireland start fixing our educational, housing, health and wealth inequities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You think the paranoid babbling in this dark and dank corner of the Internet is representative of reality?

I’m beginning to think the Red Pill is PCP.

We seem to have a constant number of people spinning in their graves at the thought of the modern world, Orwell, the 1916 signatories, Mandela etc.
    Anyway we could harness this spinning to create electricity?

The social conditions of some people in Ireland is a huge problem and have been for far to long.
    Let us in Ireland start fixing our educational, housing, health and wealth inequities.

Its only a huge problem to them. The rest of us dont give a ****e if it means more tax

Edgware wrote: »
    Its only a huge problem to them. The rest of us dont give a ****e if it means more tax

Well i carnt disagree with you on that.
    Thats does seem to be the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Brian Boru was a slave trader. Will his statue in Dublin be removed or is it only if the slaves were black. Shaka Zulu was a slave trader. Will his statue in South Africa be removed or is it only white slave traders.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Brian Boru was a slave trader. Will his statue in Dublin be removed or is it only if the slaves were black. Shaka Zulu was a slave trader. Will his statue in South Africa be removed or is it only white slave traders.

slavery has always been an issue in nearly every part of the world.

It still goes on today, i get the feeling its more easy to talk about the past than do something about today.

The statues have to be talked about, europe has to step forward and its role in the history of slavery needs to be addressed.

It still goes on today, i get the feeling its more easy to talk about the past than do something about today.

The statues have to be talked about, europe has to step forward and its role in the history of slavery needs to be addressed.

Only Europe?

How about we’ll address the statues here when the mob address the slavery elsewhere in the world that’s happening right now...by blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Brian Boru was not a slave trader. You clearly misunderstand his relationship with the Vikings of Dublin. I have reported your post as it is inaccurate.

Only Europe?

No of course not and to be honest i carnt see any continent stepping forward on this subject in the near future.

I say europe because i live in europe and with all its faluts all its problems its the most open forward democratic continent.

How about we’ll address the statues here when the mob address the slavery elsewhere in the world that’s happening right now...by blacks.

Well if we dont address it then we might get like in Bristol the mob rules and pulls it down. Im not a fan of pulling statues down by the mob.

Brian Boru was not a slave trader. You clearly misunderstand his relationship with the Vikings of Dublin. I have reported your post as it is inaccurate.

slave trader (Definition)

One you bought or sold slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    We'll just gloss over the inconvenient fact that democracy as we know it came about because people protested - and were dismissed as violent mobs and imprisoned, transported, killed by the authorities.

It all started when a violent mob cut off the head of a man who insisted God had given him the right to absolute rule.
    And then the French did the same thing to hammer home the point.
    Soon there were 'violent mobs' demanding outrageous things like a vote.

Take the Chartists for example - and unruly mob calling for:

A vote for every man twenty-one years of age, of sound mind, and not undergoing punishment for a crime.

The secret ballot to protect the elector in the exercise of his vote.

No property qualification for Members of Parliament to allow the constituencies to return the man of their choice.

Payment of Members, enabling tradesmen, working men, or other persons of modest means to leave or interrupt their livelihood to attend to the interests of the nation.

Equal constituencies, securing the same amount of representation for the same number of electors, instead of allowing less populous constituencies to have as much or more weight than larger ones.

Annual Parliamentary elections, thus presenting the most effectual check to bribery and intimidation, since no purse could buy a constituency under a system of universal manhood suffrage in every twelve months.

Such anarchy. Shouldn't be allowed. We should all be content with the Feudal System and an absolute monarchy!

Again , more examples of raking through history , to try and justify a current day " agenda driven mob " , and excuse their anti democratic behavior .

Also , to compare brave freedom fighters / resistance fighters from previous periods of history , to the current woke / leftest / agenda driven / Twitter mob , is really insulting to the memory of the said patriots .

It also reeks of desperation from a group , who now are starting to realize , that their actions over the past number of days , has soured a lot of law abiding members of the public against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Edgware wrote: »
    When can we start looting Hugo Boss stores? Do we stop wearing Levis now because Levi Strauss was a Jew and would probably have been pro Israel

This 'where-will-it-all-end' pearl-clutching is exhausting. Please stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Again , more examples of raking through history , to try and justify a current day " agenda driven mob " , and excuse their anti democratic behavior .

Also , to compare brave freedom fighters / resistance fighters from previous periods of history , to the current woke / leftest / agenda driven / Twitter mob , is really insulting to the memory of the said patriots .

It also reeks of desperation from a group , who now are starting to realize , that their actions over the past number of days , has soured a lot of law abiding members of the public against them.

One person's Freedom Fighter is another person's Terrorist.

Then and Now.

Colour it anyway your ideology wants - you owe your current freedoms to those dismissed as 'violent mobs'.

Advertisement