Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is it racist to detest white liberal do gooder fuktards crying 'on behalf of '

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

I think this is very dangerous whats happening in England - because if the police don't act - ordinary people will - they will/are lose a lot of support of ordinary people I think by ever increasing demands - League of Gentleman comedy show has been pulled from netflix now apparently there is a chain of pubs called 'the black boy' and there are demands for them to be renamed - there is a road in London called 'Blackboy Lane' should that be renamed as well? Should Lloyds Bank get rid of the Black Horse logo? The real danger is if the far right use this to their advantage and gain support - then there will be real trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Seemingly a crowd called the DFLA are going to defend all the bronze pillars over in Eng this weekend.

All sounds legit until you decipher their handle: Democratic Football Lads Alliance.
    Don't know about you, the democratic football lads, would always be the 1st port of call to secure borders, statues and recovery of lost cats up trees (using a football perhaps).

The UKPL hasn't even started yet, and sure it's not advised to play football in parks yet.
    Anyway order in the popcorn, and hope for the KayBurley wan on Skybox to cover it all live with infographics en al.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    slave trader (Definition)

One you bought or sold slaves.

Does that make me a car dealer then as I've previously bought a car? Or is there a bit more to the definition of a trader?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is it racist to detest white liberal do gooder fuktards crying 'on behalf of '

No, but it's fuking stupid to think it's the problem, and ignore the actual problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

"Democratic Football Lads Alliance" lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

slave trader (Definition)

One you bought or sold slaves.

What dictionary is that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

nickkinneg wrote: »
    I think this is very dangerous whats happening in England - because if the police don't act - ordinary people will - they will/are lose a lot of support of ordinary people I think by ever increasing demands - League of Gentleman comedy show has been pulled from netflix now apparently there is a chain of pubs called 'the black boy' and there are demands for them to be renamed - there is a road in London called 'Blackboy Lane' should that be renamed as well? Should Lloyds Bank get rid of the Black Horse logo? The real danger is if the far right use this to their advantage and gain support - then there will be real trouble

I think this will all fizzle out fairly quickly in the UK, not so Much in the US. They have troubles I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This 'where-will-it-all-end' pearl-clutching is exhausting. Please stop.

I'm offended by your insinuation of "pearl clutching". I am not an late middle aged blue rinser who "always votes F.G."

buried wrote: »
    "Democratic Football Lads Alliance" lol
    Potentially the most bizzare an uncredible name ever, pub beer mats springs to mind after a heavy darts session.

If they want to be taken seriously something along the lines of Legion of ___ ___ ___ and lob in a few grand grandiose words such as 'Sparticus' 'Knights' 'Most High'

Also the default lazy latin quote along the lines of 'always tie shoelaces before big walk' (but in latin, to make it all legit). Oh and fancy logo, showing bronze recovery in operation, using a weighted pulley system upon the Avon down Bristol way, couple of shields too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I agree, this situation could soon develop. I did see today someone on Sky news talk about Police brutality over the years without mentioning any from a particular colour is picked on more.

When i was living in the UK i heard loads of stories from all races esp under 25 being stopped all the time by the police.
    I think the stop and search is a problem for under privileged council estate kids than any one from any particular race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What dictionary is that from.

Collins Dictionary

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

joe40 wrote: »
    I think this will all fizzle out fairly quickly in the UK.

I don't know to be honest - my guess is and just my opinion - there is a Huge silent majority in England - that have opinions on this - but are afraid to voice anything for fear as being seen as racist if they disagree. It'll take just one nut to light the whole thing up and there are plenty of those

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nermal wrote: »
    Is it? Precisely what information did the mob uncover about Edward Colston that we weren't already in possession of?

I think very few people outside Bristol even knew this guy's name. I certainly hadn't heard of him until this event. Now I know a few things about him like his background as the youngest of 13 children, father was a merchant. Very good at his job and rose to prominence in the African Trading Company, trading all sorts of African goods around the world. Spices, metals, foodstuffs, slaves. He donated loads of money to Bristol and set up and endowed hospitals, almshouses, schools, theatres. He bacame an MP for Bristol too. He lead a very interesting life and has lots of history to learn about.

That all came to my attention just because of this event. And I'm happier for knowing about it.

Did you know about him before this event?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nermal wrote: »
    Is it? Precisely what information did the mob uncover about Edward Colston that we weren't already in possession of?

Hands up who had heard of him before this week?

Think there is probably only 2 or 3 of us on the thread who would have heard the name before. Can only speak for myself as one of those, but despite knowing who he was before and why the statue was there and why people wanted it removed and would have gladly lent a hand to pull it down if I'd happened to be there, I've still learned massive amounts more about him in the last couple of days.

No new things had been discovered about him, but loads of new people have learnt about him and the slave trade and Bristol. That is a good thing and would never have been achieved by having some men in suits have a vote to remove the statue in the council chambers.

Collins Dictionary

Steve Collins maybe. Anyway I reported the initial post. Brian Boru largely supressed the slave trade in Ireland and allowed Dublin to continue trading in English slaves (the trade in English slaves was taxed) that certainly does not make him a slave trader.

mick087 wrote: »
    Well if we dont address it then we might get like in Bristol the mob rules and pulls it down. Im not a fan of pulling statues down by the mob.

Mob rule is the best rule. King mob is the best king.

I don't know to be honest - my guess is and just my opinion - there is a Huge silent majority in England - that have opinions on this - but are afraid to voice anything for fear as being seen as racist if they disagree. It'll take just one nut to light the whole thing up and there are plenty of those
    You never know, hopefully won't happen. I thought Brexit and the last election would expose faultlines in British society. Then again this is a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Potentially the most bizzare an uncredible name ever, pub beer mats springs to mind after a heavy darts session.

Thanks for that A, its so funny. Still laughing hard here for real.

Yeah, they should have just cut down the amount of letters from 'D.F.L.A' to just 'D'

D for 'Drunk'
    'always tie shoelaces before big walk' (but in latin, to make it all legit)..

flol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

robinph wrote: »

Think there is probably only 2 or 3 of us on the thread who would have heard the name before. Can only speak for myself as one of those, but despite knowing who he was before and why the statue was there and why people wanted it removed and would have gladly lent a hand to pull it down if I'd happened to be there, I've still learned massive amounts more about him in the last couple of days.

No new things had been discovered about him, but loads of new people have learnt about him and the slave trade and Bristol. That is a good thing and would never have been achieved by having some men in suits have a vote to remove the statue in the council chambers.

I had to Google who was, I'm not ashamed to admit.

Taking down his statue hardly ushers in a new era.

• Advertisement

I'll put 50 notes on the skins (vs the cardboard woke placarders) for this weekend cashier, 3/1 your say? Very good.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1293961/london-news-racism-protest-black-lives-matter-democratic-football-lads-alliance-statues
    Not bothered of results, as long as Kay is covering it on Sky, that's the real popcorn that is.

You'd have to be a sad and rather nasty git to be upset by a slave trader statue being removed... There was no particular historical significance to the statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Steve Collins maybe. Anyway I reported the initial post. Brian Boru largely supressed the slave trade in Ireland and allowed Dublin to continue trading in English slaves (the trade in English slaves was taxed) that certainly does not make him a slave trader.

Brian Boru bought and sold slaves. He was a slave trader. His statue must come down.
    John Newton who wrote “Amazing Grace” was a slave trader. The song must be banned.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Look at the threads in current affairs and keep telling yourself that. Cashless society, mandatory vaccines, questionable lockdowns, police with extra powers, statues being pulled down.

It’s happening right in front of your eyes but you’re too blind to see it.

Have you read 1984? Because it gets bandied about so flippantly and I doubt half the people who reference it have actually read it.

If only poor Winston Smith lived in a world like ours. It really shows the privilege we have that we have to strain and squint to kinda, almost be able to make our world sound like Airstrip 1.

Enjoy your freedom. We have loads of freedom and it's actually really weird to pretend we live in totalitarianism. You sound like that joke John Waters.

Didn't DFLA have a top pop tune years ago, they all danced in sync on the video recorded in Brookyln.
    The chap with the big curly hair is the singer/ringleader, top bloke.
    Breakdancin' too.

Have you read 1984? Because it gets bandied about so flippantly and I doubt half the people who reference it have actually read it.

If only poor Winston Smith lived in a world like ours. It really shows the privilege we have that we have to strain and squint to kinda, almost be able to make our world sound like Airstrip 1.

Enjoy your freedom. We have loads of freedom and it's actually really weird to pretend we live in totalitarianism. You sound like that joke John Waters.

I read it about half way - and its one of the few books that actually chilled me

joe40 wrote: »
    I had to Google who was, I'm not ashamed to admit.

Taking down his statue hardly ushers in a new era.

True, it probably doesn't. But it helps to stop glorifying a previous era when slavery was an acceptable trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robinph wrote: »

I had heard of him, and knew about the statue from Bristol friends but I didn't know much beyond statue/slave trader.
    I know quite a bit now - such as there were abolitionists who donated far more money to helping people in Bristol and they got no statue.

Brian Boru was a slave trader. Will his statue in Dublin be removed or is it only if the slaves were black. Shaka Zulu was a slave trader. Will his statue in South Africa be removed or is it only white slave traders.

Depends if there's a movement to take their statues down or not. If you feel passionately about it, you could start a movement and take as long as it takes to gather momentum.

• Advertisement

Brian Boru bought and sold slaves. He was a slave trader. His statue must come down.
    John Newton who wrote “Amazing Grace” was a slave trader. The song must be banned.

There's no evidence for this. As for his statue ; I think it would be appropriate for it to come down as the

[1] The Dal Cais had no claim at all to the high kingship of Ireland
    [2] By accepting the Title of Inchiquin and a Barony his descendants have put themselves into another nationality and removed themselves from this one.

Advertisement