Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

VonLuck wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole point to show that the Major was a bit of an oddball and out of touch with reality? It wasn't promoting racism in the slightest.

Can TV no longer portray people behaving in a less than perfect manner?

Context is irrelevant.

I also loved the bit with Basil and the black doctor. His shock is totally a joke on him. Still, has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

VonLuck wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole point to show that the Major was a bit of an oddball and out of touch with reality? It wasn't promoting racism in the slightest.

Can TV no longer portray people behaving in a less than perfect manner?

No

Nermal wrote: »

How incredible that the forces Churchill were fighting against, namely totalitarian fascism, now seems to have invaded London by stealth. Someone should put up a statue of Hitler to give these scumbags some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I feel sorry that they will grow up thinking programmes like the Big Bang theory were the height of comedy. Sterile, fluffy and totally devoid of anything resembling an edge. Sad.

So what generation cancelled "life of Brian" and "meaning of life"
    Comedy will still exist.
    I can manage without Jim Davidson or Benny Hill but In fairness Fawlty towers was a classic.
    Basil as the pompous English man was actually the butt of the jokes.
    I can't imagine it disappearimg

joe40 wrote: »
    Comedy will still exist.
    I can manage without Jim Davidson or Benny Hill but In fairness Fawlty towers was a classic.

Blazing Saddles racist yet? Or should we wait another 5 years for this mad bandwagon to roll on crushing everything in its path. Django after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

See in America a rampaging mob brought a statue down on a fellow mob member. He is in a coma and likely to drop off.

They might not be charged with manslaughter but they'll know he is dead because of their actions.

How incredible that the forces Churchill were fighting against, namely totalitarian fascism, now seems to have invaded London by stealth. Someone should put up a statue of Hitler to give these scumbags some perspective.

I really dont think it would be a good idea to take Churchills statue down.
    That would see a politcal change alright, but it would be the start of a change that would be totaly opposite change to what the BAME are protesting for.

Danzy wrote: »
    See in America a rampaging mob brought a statue down on a fellow mob member. He is in a coma and likely to drop off.

They might not be charged with manslaughter but they'll know he is dead because of their actions.

They should charge the police for that. After all they wouldn't have been a rampaging mob without the racist police making them mad.

These types fought with Hitler till June 1941.

mick087 wrote: »
    I really dont think it would be a good idea to take Churchills statue down.
    That would see a politcal change alright, but it would be the start of a change that would be totaly opposite change to what the BAME are protesting for.

Most of the statue smashing and censorship is all white middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

. He is in a coma and likely to drop off.

The irony

Blazing Saddles racist yet? Or should we wait another 5 years for this mad bandwagon to roll on crushing everything in its path. Django after that.

I don't believe there was any actual calls to remove the Fawlty Towers episode. On top of that there's plenty of shows that make hugely dodgy jokes at the moment. Eg It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. In terms of the actual Towers episode, most channels had the 'n' word omitted from it in broadcasts and have done for years.

Blazing saddles going strong, very good movie

Yes i seen that it was alful so sad his poor family.
    These things need to be done properly with the support of the community by elected officials. This will also stop any backlash or accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No it was the fault of the confederates.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Don't be silly, racism was the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This was discussed yesterday.
    The conclusion was that if people are angry enough because governments don't take statues down quick enough and the police then do their jobs and try and bring order to protests, this type of thing should continue to happen, because ye know, people are angry and it doesn't matter if they squash each other with statues, because this cause is bigger than any one squashed by a statue protestor.

Glazers Out!

mick087 wrote: »
    Yes i seen that it was alful so sad his poor family.
    These things need to be done properly with the support of the community by elected officials. This will also stop any backlash or accidents.

A real tragedy, etc, pity he didn't think about his family before rampaging with a mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Somewhat baffled as to what the Conservatives are at in the UK. I think they've completely misjudged the mood.

Boris need never lose an election in his lifetime.

All he has to do is stand in front of Churchill this weekend surrounded by a phalanx of riot police, instead of wrapping it in MDF.

Blazing saddles going strong, very good movie

It's a classic but the modern snowflakes could easily make the point that it makes a joke out of slavery and racism and also makes widespread use of the N word.

Things that were previously fine 15 years ago are deemed offensive today. Likewise things considered OK today will be revised in a few years. This is a constantly shifting situation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Comedy will still exist.

If anything I'd have expected them to pull Fawlty Towers for Manuel v Basil parts of it. But I fully expect it to be back and unedited in anyway, just with a disclaimer saying that it's comedy or some such.

Nothing much to worry about, the comedy will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's a classic but the modern snowflakes could easily make the point that it makes a joke out of slavery and racism and also makes widespread use of the N word.

Things that were previously fine 15 years ago are deemed offensive today. Likewise things considered OK today will be revised in a few years. This is a constantly shifting situation

I mean sure but near as I can see there was no call to ban Fawlty Towers. I doubt that millennial snowflakes knew what was on UKTV so I have no idea why they are getting the blame for a decision UKTV made.

Like a mob didn't burst into their hq and hack into their systems. Nor was deleted off whoever was showing it or anyone's dvds. Someone made a corporate decision. This may have been done in reaction to protests but wasn't done by the protestors. They don't control the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Niallof9 wrote: »
    I did read it. you called him out. Some People do think science and reason or at least people of science and reason are racist. Hence why i used the example of Dawkins. A man of science who has been called racist for being an aethiest. He obviously used a shorthand to describe it, but this is what i took from what he said. Maybe you should read what he said. or at least have the ability to read subtext. there is clear evidence, apart from spaceships, of what he saids being true. Hopefully its only a minority.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/racism-row-french-doctors-suggest-virus-vaccine-test-africa-200404054304466.html

And obviously science was racist for a long time, so maybe there is still a distrust there.

Racism is a scurge. Efforts to stamp it out are long overdue. Like a zero tolerance policy. Yet with this cancel/revisionist/whitewashing of history, it sets a dangerous precedence. I presume you were calling him out for being ott on it. It is happening in front of our eyes, and for me the trojan horse is fundamentalist Islam and the dangers around allowing a militant set of religious fanatics wrap themselves in the cloak of racism. Obviously that has taken a backseat to African American protests and oppression but its basically what kicked it all off many moons ago.

I haven't gone off on one. I've been following this issue since i studied it in 2003. Its been going on a long time if you have been paying attention.

And now for the disclaimer, my partner is black and my child is mixed race and i'm an avowed atheist who thinks any religion subverting reason and science is an evil.

Somebody on here or another thread posted this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjBZVssr1I&t=534s

Science can’t be racist. As you said People and the systems that are administered by racist people can’t be. Big difference.

Vaccines can’t be racist, The people making, selling, administering etc etc can be. Big difference.

The problem here is that people are making big leaps in an attempt to justify outrage. Because someone who works in science is Racist then science is racist. What a load of nonsense.

Like your line about cancelling history. What a load of nonsense. You have studied something since 2003, how have you managed to study something? In a library perhaps, books? The internet? Lectures? A fckn statue isn’t history.

Someone earlier reckoned Machu Piccau would be next because a statue of a murdering slave trading racist that nobody wanted in the first place and people wanted removed was actually removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now a statue of a black actor/ playwright/ poet has been covered in bleach in Bristol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53011774

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean sure but near as I can see there was no call to ban Fawlty Towers. I doubt that millennial snowflakes knew what was on UKTV so I have no idea why they are getting the blame for a decision UKTV made.

Like a mob didn't burst into their hq and hack into their systems. Nor was deleted off whoever was showing it or anyone's dvds. Someone made a corporate decision. This may have been done in reaction to protests but wasn't done by the protestors. They don't control the BBC.

These activists largely aren't working class, corporate environments are their natural home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The one particular episode of Fawlty Towers that has been taken down, was previously edited to tone down the gratuitous use of the racial slurs. It was done so with Cleese's backing.

It will be back again, further edited to remove the slurs completely, without affecting the actual comedy.

There's actually a really good parallel with the statues. Editing out unnecessary parts of a comedy for a modern audience doesn't affect the quality of the comedy, just like tearing down a monument to a person doesn't erase the person from history.

It's amusing to see complaints about "snowflakes" from people who are getting worked up about a few seconds of dialogue being removed from an episode of a TV show.

Calling people snowflakes is just lazy point scoring in the same way that people bandy around phrases like racist far too easily.
    I'm glad the N word is no longer in widespread use also paki, wog, and paddy are gone from programming, does that make me a snowflake.
    In Blazing saddles the Black cops saves the racist town.

Someone will say where does it end? What will be next? I have faith in common sense. Just because some one calls for something doesn't mean it is going to happen.

What truly great things have been lost, maybe there are example but I can't think of any. I will accept any examples that can be given.
    A person saying something on Twitter doesn't count, and what ifs do count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jmayo wrote: »
    No it was the fault of the confederates.

I think Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone should be blamed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robinph wrote: »
    Now a statue of a black actor/ playwright/ poet has been covered in bleach in Bristol:

No marks for guessing that would happen. Life reopening is more urgent at this point to stave off the obsessive nature of some of these actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

robinph wrote: »

Meh. The police have outlined this week they don't care about vandalism of statues, so fine.

If people didn't want that statue damaged, then it should have been boarded up like they're doing in London.

Advertisement