Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I see the premiership have said the players can taker a knee if they want.
    Be interesting to see what happens to them if they dont take a knee.
    Im sure that all of them agree that black lives matter, but what if some of them dont want to take a knee because they dont want to bring their politics into their workplace?
    They will be bullied by the twitter mob til they die. So I guess they will all take a knee.
    The irony of people ganging up to bend others to their will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really hope we dont end up like England.

Moronic hooligans, looking for a fight at any provocation.

Awful time to be a police officer in the UK, absolutely stuck in the middle as the whipping boys (and girls) of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Im sure that all of them agree that black lives matter, but what if some of them dont want to take a knee because they dont want to bring their politics into their workplace?
    They will be bullied by the twitter mob til they die. So I guess they will all take a knee.

Yes, it will be interesting to see the same scumbags who refused to take a pay cut, to help out the poorly paid club employees, now virtuously taking a knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Could be awkward if a player just came back from.an ACL injury.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see on bbc news they have put drab grey “boxes” for want of a better word around Churchill and Mandela statues in parliament square in London.

Spent a pleasant few minutes there last year taking in the sights - sad and scary to see all the riots there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Really hope we dont end up like England.

Moronic hooligans, looking for a fight at any provocation.

Awful time to be a police officer in the UK, absolutely stuck in the middle as the whipping boys (and girls) of everyone.

I had the same thought watching the police being bottled and goaded earlier on live tv

Maybe someone in the police/guards can tell us- is it that the overall commander of the police force tells the police to “just accept it” rather than wading in and fighting the rioters ?

Looking at the footage it seemed that the police would have had little trouble quelling the rioters if they “wanted to” but is it now they have one hand behind their back for political reasons??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I see on bbc news they have put drab grey “boxes” for want of a better word around Churchill and Mandela statues in parliament square in London.

Spent a pleasant few minutes there last year taking in the sights - sad and scary to see all the riots there today

It was as bad last week ... far left last week .. far right this week ...

There will be a civil war in England yet between the two sides .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

The Cenotaph in Whitehall is also covered. I can't see what issue they have with that except I guess it was built by white men...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

No one should have to or be made to do anything they dont wish to do. If they dont wish to take the knee thats up to them. They do not owe us an explanation why they did not.

When i go back to work and i if im asked to take the knee i would refuse and refuse to give my employer or any activist a resaon why.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Did the premier league support James McClean in not wearing a poppy?
    Is it that the Irish under the English oppression for 800 years are further down the victim totem pole that African Americans in the eyes of the premier league?
    Suppose its easier to be woke on something that happened half a world away than a real problem on your door step.

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »

Or when the 80% normal people in the center have enough of this Bullśhit and rise up

°°°°°

Just a display of how stupid people with extreme views on either side of the left right paradigm are.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Its no more active veneration, then the statues of Marx in London, Berlin and many other cities suggest that London etc venerates Marx (who by the way defended slavery in the Americas).

You are talking about Karl Marx here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes, it will be interesting to see the same scumbags who refused to take a pay cut, to help out the poorly paid club employees, now virtuously taking a knee.

This is a perfect example of misplaced outrage, putting someone well paid against someone not so well paid, instead of question the responsibilities of the super rich.

Why should they take a pay cut? The owners of premiership clubs weren’t exactly pushed to the breadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It might be no harm at all ,let them wipe each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is a perfect example of misplaced outrage, putting someone well paid against someone not so well paid, instead of question the responsibilities of the super rich.

Why should they take a pay cut? The owners of premiership clubs weren’t exactly pushed to the breadline.

My point is that the vast majority of the knee benders are faking it, afraid not to do it or are doing it because they think it is a popular thing to do.

Almost none of them are doing it out of principle.

nullzero wrote: »
    Just a display of how stupid people with extreme views on either side of the left right paradigm are.

The big difference is the far left lunatics have the support of the main stream media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

They're not the first riots and won't be the last. Nowhere near civil war

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looking at the footage it seemed that the police would have had little trouble quelling the rioters if they “wanted to” but is it now they have one hand behind their back for political reasons??

Got the impression from one of the reports I read that the lads in Parliament Square were also fighting amongst themselves as they were from rival football clubs, were already half drunk before they got there and so when they left to fetch more drink the police jua blocked each smaller group from getting back. Then a bit of too and fro chasing some small groups down side streets, but mostly keeping them down to small manageable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

joe40 wrote: »
    They're not the first riots and won't be the last. Nowhere near civil war
    Not sure - maybe, maybe not - doesn't help with police force kneeling - there job is to show impartiality and uphold the law, media calling everyone who disagrees with BLM "far right", like scout leaders? and the people in power who should never have let it get this far particularly with the virus level in England - this seems to have taken a back seat at the moment but it hasn't gone anywhere. There a video up on the daily mail of BLM people absolutely kicking the *** out of one white guy while he's flat on his back in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yeah Marx. He has some interesting complex views on slavery in the Americas but I think thry wouldn't go down well with these protestors.

°°°°°

da_miser wrote: »
    The big difference is the far left lunatics have the support of the main stream media.

Very true.

Both sides deserve to be shown for the mindless foolish thugs they are.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Very true.

Both sides deserve to be shown for the mindless foolish thugs they are.

Anyone no matter how reasonable who does not drink the far left kool aid is branded a Nazi and cancel culture demands that they are deplatformed, the left run media are only happy to oblige, the young and gullible therefore think far left lunatic view is the only view and the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah Marx. He has some interesting complex views on slavery in the Americas but I think thry wouldn't go down well with these protestors.

I won't claim to be an expert on Marx, but as far as I recall, he considered slavery to be the worst form of capitalist enterprise and was one of the few voices in Europe at the time to call out the South for its use and called it a "peculiar institution". He was very outspoken in his articles during the Civil war and called the it the "Slaveholders rebellion". He also chastised the Northern States, too, for having allowed itself to "defile their own Republic" with slavery previously.

He was wholly supportive of Lincoln and saw him as essential to putting an end to US slavery for good.

"If resistance to the Slave Power was the reserved watchword of your first election, the triumphant war cry of your re-election is Death to Slavery. From the commencement of the titanic American strife the working men of Europe felt instinctively that the star-spangled banner carried the destiny of their class. The contest for the territories which opened the dire epopee, was it not to decide whether the virgin soil of immense tracts should be wedded to the labor of the emigrant or prostituted by the tramp of the slave driver?"

"The working men of Europe feel sure that, as the American War of Independence initiated a new era of ascendancy for the middle class, so the American Antislavery War will do for the working classes."

been reported that cops in atlanta shot a young black man - apparently he was asleep at a drive thru and cars had to drive around him - police went to give him a sobriety test - he apparently failed this - tried to arrest him - he put up a struggle grabbed the officers taser and ran away - really not going to help the situation.

Karl Marx, Grouch Marx , does it matter, both comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The black lives matter crowd were as bad today rioting in a Paris ..... both sides are as bad as each other ...
    Far right rioting in London
    Far left rioting in Paris

unreal was it just a nervous mistake or something? she can't mean that literally surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

nickkinneg wrote: »
    unreal was it just a nervous mistake or something? she can't mean that literally surely?

In fairness, she didn't actually say that she thought Churchill was still living. She just said she never met the man, so doesn't know.

Advertisement