Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

If i were a beggar in need of money I wouldn't be wearing a pair of trainers worth 120 euros. I would mostly always throw whatever loose change i would have to someone in his predicament but on this occasion seeing this I didn't. My point is do people really care about what they are wearing or where it was made and how. That's all.

You need to talk to the begger, myself rarely give money to beggers i have brought them coffee sanwhices. It's a difficult one, you have to do what you think is best when it comes to helping a begger so its important to talk to them.

As for the trainers he could of got these from a charity shop. I know there are some genuine charity shops who do actually help them that do need some help. Such shops as few as they are would give to the most needed free, before it goes on sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

The whole thing is stupid, imagine were in a world where you can't say "all lives matter" as if it detracts from other issues, people are losing there jobs for saying all lives matter it's madness , you ve people getting fired cause of "black face" that's where the sjw and social media frenzy has us... And the masses are going along with it, anything to get the moral virtue fix tho!

Cupatae wrote: »
    The whole thing is stupid, imagine were in a world where you can't say "all lives matter" as if it detracts from other issues, people are losing there jobs for saying all lives matter it's madness , you ve people getting fired cause of "black face" that's where the sjw and social media frenzy has us... And the masses are going along with it, anything to get the moral virtue fix tho!

All lives do matter and dont let anyone let you think anyones life dont matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

#ALM

One of the uk tabloids suggest Raab is in now in 'social media hot sauce'
    - for saying he won't submit to what seems to be the latest televised sporting field trend.

He said:
    "I'd take a knee for two people, the Queen and the missus when I asked her to marry me."

That's one more than me, would only bow to a lady in the context of final courting proposals.
    If you drop a pencil, sure, by all means bow down to pick it up too.

He makes a good point, when he spoke on TalkRado:
    "I've got to say on this 'taking the knee' thing, which I don't know, maybe it's got a broader history but it seems to be taken from the Game of Thrones.
    "It feels to me like a symbol of subjugation and subordination rather than one of liberation and emancipation.

Agree, GOT was top (sci-fi) TV. As a sovereign human, one has no need to ever bow to another.
    TBF, might give a slight quick nod to the Japense folks, but that's more of a 'howya' than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So what's wrong with saying all lives matter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Agree, GOT was top (sci-fi) TV. As a sovereign human, one has no need to ever bow to another.
    TBF, might give a slight quick nod to the Japense folks, but that's more of a 'howya' than anything.

Think you may need to read up on what the taking the knee is about and where the protest came from. It's nothing to do with bowing to another power or subjugation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tony EH wrote: »

https://images.app.goo.gl/3p3tCQcmJss5Wjww5

^
    That's silly. Houses are not the same as people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

robinph wrote: »

is police brutality mostly a white on black problem, or is it just a problem in general?

^
    That's silly. Houses are not the same as people's lives.

What other analogy would you prefer it explained to you with?

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/11/12136140/black-all-lives-matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Think you may need to read up on what the taking the knee is about and where the protest came from. It's nothing to do with bowing to another power or subjugation.
    Symbolic actions and interpretaions of such is all highly subjective.
    Raab has a fair enough point when he states:
    It feels to me like a symbol of subjugation and subordination rather than one of liberation and emancipation.
    But he'll likely face the poison wrath of the twitterati, for speaking simple logic.

A black fist in the air would be much better.
    White folks could always wear a single black glove (dare not do a Justin Trudeau on your hand though).
    FWIW: Mickey Jackson wore a white glove, then he went white afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I’d say those millions of black people in Africa living in abject poverty are wondering why their lives don’t matter, even though they are black. They must be bemused seeing relatively rich pampered people protesting.

#AllBlackLivesMatter ?

[PHP][/PHP]
    is police brutality mostly a white on black problem, or is it just a problem in general?

Police/Garda brutality is and always has been a problem.

Police/Garda brutality is in general a problem directed at poor and the unprivileged. Be they Black, White, Asian or of any colour or religon, the poor get the brutality.
    White on black is a problem for some, so to is black on white a problem for some.

A better one, because the houses thing doesn't work.

Problem in general , but it's being spun..

Symbolic actions and interpretaions of such is all highly subjective.
    Raab has a fair enough point when he states:

But he'll likely face the poison wrath of the twitterati, for speaking simple logic.

A black fist in the air would be much better.
    White folks could always wear a single black glove (dare not do a Justin Trudeau on you're hand though).
    FWIW: Mickey Jackson wore a white glove, then he went white afterwards.

At the top diplomat in the country he should probably have taken a bit more notice of the protests going on for the last couple of weeks around the country/world and not assume that it was something from a fantasy TV show. All he's done is prove how detached the tory party is from the rest of the planet. If they need some footballers to teach them about the hardships that segments of the population are suffering from then they are not doing their job of governing very well at all.

It's really not a difficult task to read up on where the taking of the knee protest comes from, even Trump has been twittering about it for a few years. But then Rabb is the same guy who didn't realise that Dover / Calais was an important trade route for the UK and hadn't read the GFA.

It's an attack on BLM apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did I state every beggar had a new pair of Nikes. Same naivety as thinking only genuine protesters give a damn about what they're wearing. Then again very few
    Of these protesters even know what they are protesting about.

Does it matter? How do you know the cost? How do you know the age? Why is it relevant? What brand of coffee cup was it?

Most of your objections here are based on complete guesses that do nothing more than make you feel either comfortable with you bias. Not a simgle word of it has substance, informed opinion or even quantifyable knowledge. You might as well say that most of them had cornflakes for breakfast that morning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Most of your objections here are based on complete guesses that do nothing more than make you feel either comfortable with you bias. Not a simgle word of it has substance, informed opinion or even quantifyable knowledge..

What do Black Lives Matter stand for? what are their goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Cupatae wrote: »

Well of course All lives matter, has anyone ever disputed that.
    It is the most basic human right the right to life, so all lives matter is universally accepted, it was never in doubt.

What do Black Lives Matter stand for? what are their goals?

Isn't that something you should be asking the protestors..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

"a commitment to dismantle imperialism capitalism patriarchy and state structures... "

https://twitter.com/ukblm/status/1271874727410307072

Its gone far beyond Black lives mattering at this stage. Below are examples from the video and the sh*te they're coming out with ;

0.26 - "Give black people their rite or we will burn this country to ashes

1:50 - "We want to control our communities, our schools, our economics, we want access we want equity. I do not believe in equality . We do not fight for equality. Equality is a myth. We planning on advocating for a new resistance for black people in this country."

3:34 - "If we don't get justice, this world will never see peace!"

5:27 "**** peace! We on some Malcom **** now!"

What they want is an ethnostate provided as reparations. With all the trimmings.

Isn't that something you should be asking the protestors..?
    well, it was off the back of you saying this:
    Its like the poppy now, you have no choice and I bet you wouldn't dare not take the knee!
    Well, the question is, why would you not want to? Honest question - I'm not accusing you of anything.

It's something you need to discuss with people - or close friends - who have suffered from racism to be honest. See how they'd feel about you not wanting to show support, or about showing support in a different way.
    I was just wondering if you knew what they stand for.

https://twitter.com/Lockey_Gamer/status/1273565408939978752

well, it was off the back of you saying this:

I was just wondering if you knew what they stand for.

https://twitter.com/Lockey_Gamer/status/1273565408939978752

Still don't see the connection...? I never commented on BLM, I commented on showing support for it, if asked to do so and finding alternative resolutions.

(That said, some of Mr. Gamer's claims ar a bit strange: "destroying the conventional nuclear family"...? Does he work for Iona?)
    I'd also raise an eyebrow at "abolising the rule of law" (unless you mean specifci laws, in which case so do governments), "destroying capitalism" and "realease all black prisoners on bail".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Does it matter? How do you know the cost? How do you know the age? Why is it relevant? What brand of coffee cup was it?

Most of your objections here are based on complete guesses that do nothing more than make you feel either comfortable with you bias. Not a simgle word of it has substance, informed opinion or even quantifyable knowledge. You might as well say that most of them had cornflakes for breakfast that morning.

You should know about complete guessing. Alot of your assumptions are based on your own opinions and not what's happening in reality. Don't choke on your big words while eating your cornflakes but eventually you might realise that maybe the people wearing the Nike etc are real protesters who just haven't a clue what they're protesting about. Let you know if I can remember the make of the coffee cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

At the top diplomat in the country he should probably have taken a bit more notice of the protests going on for the last couple of weeks around the country/world and not assume that it was something from a fantasy TV show. All he's done is prove how detached the tory party is from the rest of the planet. If they need some footballers to teach them about the hardships that segments of the population are suffering from then they are not doing their job of governing very well at all.

It's really not a difficult task to read up on where the taking of the knee protest comes from, even Trump has been twittering about it for a few years. But then Rabb is the same guy who didn't realise that Dover / Calais was an important trade route for the UK and hadn't read the GFA.

Actually I think the Tories are taking far too much notice of the protests, not too little. Boris should have faced them down, instead of being so pussywhipped. The UK protests are about narratives, a US narrative that has no meaning in the UK, not injustice or genuine hardships. There is no case for systemic brutality or racism in the UK

You should know about complete guessing. Alot of your assumptions are based on your own opinions and not what's happening in reality. Don't choke on your big words while eating your cornflakes but eventually you might realise that maybe the people wearing the Nike etc are real protesters who just haven't a clue what they're protesting about. Let you know if I can remember the make of the coffee cup.

Ad homeinem.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Christy42 wrote: »
    Rommel largely got away with his reputation due to the (false) accusation that he was part of the plot to kill Hitler. It was why he was killed and endeared him to the allies.

Also even with a piece of propoganda in his favour he still doesn't have a statue of him up that I am aware of. I know there is a bust in a museum somewhere.

Rommels reputation is intact because he was an outstandingly successful and brave commander. That's his military reputation. Outside of that I dont know much about him. He wasnt a Nazi .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Ad homeinem.

Ad Populum.

Advertisement