Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error when starting Ubuntu on VirtualBox

Options
  • 07-06-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭

Hi. I get the below error when trying to start up my Ubuntu instance on VB in my WIndows 10 env.
    VMMR0_DO_NEM_INIT_VM failed: VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API_2 (VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API_2).
    VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: 
    E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: 
    ConsoleWrap
    Interface: 
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

From googling, ive turned off Virtualisation in my laptop but still get this error, any tips?

Comments

Hi. I get the below error when trying to start up my Ubuntu instance on VB in my WIndows 10 env.
    VMMR0_DO_NEM_INIT_VM failed: VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API_2 (VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API_2).
    VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: 
    E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: 
    ConsoleWrap
    Interface: 
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

From googling, ive turned off Virtualisation in my laptop but still get this error, any tips?

I got that error before on my work laptop and it was due to hyper-v being enabled, have you checked if it's enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I got that error before on my work laptop and it was due to hyper-v being enabled, have you checked if it's enabled?

Shes unchecked when i had a look. She need to be off right? If so, same error yes

Shes unchecked when i had a look. She need to be off right? If so, same error yes

Yeah needs to be disabled

You might have found this already, but it's the one that resolved it for me. There are a couple of other suggestions to check also just in case you have not found the link.

https://superuser.com/questions/1153470/vt-x-is-not-available-but-is-enabled-in-bios

Also you haven't said if any changes have been made recently to your system, did you upgrade add or remove anything, or any Windows updates before the issue started?

One other question, is it only ubuntu that you get the error with, do you have any other vms (Windows other Linux distros) that can start without the error?

Advertisement