Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dependents of EU citizens entitled to claim social welfare benefits, High Court rules

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 starrygleam11

The boomers will be grand, enjoying their retirement. Its the youth that are fcuked. Ask yourself why the boomers could get mortgages in their 20's and most of todays youth never will. Ask yourself is there a connection between immigration and the fact that you'll be sharing a house with others in your 40s and paying a fortune for the luxury. Perhaps you should stop voting for the woke parties that are selling your future down the river. If you're foolish enough to vote for a party just because they wave an LGBT flag then its your own fault. You're financial future is totally utterly fcuked btw. Maybe someday you'll cop on as to why that is.

That's not only the fault of immigration.
    That's the fault of politicians not implementing proper housing plans that they havent for years letting labdlords roam around free all they want.
    U think if we had a right wing government this would change ?
    Of course not
    You always assume that when we choose right immigrants are going to go.
    They wont many are residents here and this wont change.
    Instead of bashing immigrants start bashing all the politicians that are profiting off what's happening now.
    Like i said dont hate the people hate the leaders and the system.

The opening of the EU borders was the most suicidal move this country ever made. From the credit fueled building boom it created to the welfare bill for this nonsense.

Absolutely. Country was a great place right until the 1970s.

The eu and it's constant flow of money into the country for nearly 2 decades was and continues to be a disgrace!

If I had my way, we would send all the foreigners home. Of course that would mean taking all the Irish back and our population would increase drastically.

On a more serious note, Ireland had been soft when it came to eu migration for years. As an Irishman that moved abroad to another eu country I can tell you it's no easy task getting a tax number and access to social welfare when your not a local. I had to price i had the money to support my family, a place to live and private health insurance to cover us all including my wife who is actually from the country I moved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So the consensus is we shouldn't be giving benefits to anyone who rock up and demands we have just arrived where's the 4eva home keys and my life long benefits

Well, let's just change the requirements to get welfare and solve that problem.

It's a benefit, not a welfare payment.

I realise that might seem like nitpicking but it's the reason why the case was successful.

BENEFIT is a right. Welfare is not.

Same as child benefit. There's no mean testing to qualify. B have baby, qualify. Disabled? Qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

We arent slaves to brussels if IT wasnt for the eu we would still be a ****hole .
    Your complaining about the EU look what a mess england is now.
    Tories that dont give a flying crap about anything including its own people fecking them left and right and laughing all the way to the bank.
    If ireland left the eu and we would have a right wing governmet covid deaths would be a million no doubt about that.
    Employment law and rights ? Please that wouldnt exist anymore.
    Look at all the right wing governments across all nations and tell me if theyre doing a good job caz it doesnt seems like it at all

Yeah Austria and Denmark as European examples are real sh1tholes

• Advertisement

It's a benefit, not a welfare payment.

I realise that might seem like nitpicking but it's the reason why the case was successful.

BENEFIT is a right. Welfare is not.

Disability allowence in this particular case not benefit and you definitely don't have to be disabled to get it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah Austria and Denmark as European examples are real sh1tholes

The changes seen in Ireland over the last 50 years would have happened anyway EU or no EU in my opinion.

Some want to say all progress in Ireland is due to the EU.

This is complete nonsense.

Gatling wrote: »
    Disability allowence in this particular case not benefit and you definitely don't have to be disabled to get it ,

Every day is a school day. I could have sworn it was a benefit.

The changes seen in Ireland over the last 50 years would have happened anyway EU or no EU in my opinion.

Some want to say all progress in Ireland is due to the EU.

This is complete nonsense.

Have you any evidence to support this view?

Where, for starters would we have gotten the cash considering we were a piss poor rock in the edge of Europe since Independence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

I wouldn't worry about it. We're ****ed economically and the German bondholder vultures are already circling so in a year or so we won't be that appealing to Irish people never mind Romanians etc. The Reichstag will suck the likes of ourselves, Italy, Greece etc dry leaving Germany the only country attracting welfare tourists.

• Advertisement

There's an illness benefits that needs you to have stamps to get ,
    Disability allowence is a means tested allowence you don't have to have worked to get or be physically disabled either just have an illness or injury a Dr believes will last longer than 12 Months and you can still work after you get it and keep a decent amount of the payment along with medical card and the tv license and free public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Have you any evidence to support this view?

Where, for starters would we have gotten the cash considering we were a piss poor rock in the edge of Europe since Independence

Societal change was underway in Ireland before it joined the EU.

And as for cash. 10% toward road projects does not cut it as a bribe for me.

All these things would have happened anyway.

Globalisation suits a country like Ireland just as it does Iceland or other small independent successful countries around the world.

You don't have to be in the EU to be wealthy. This is the type of brainwashing we need to eliminate - it is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

DA is social assistance.

DA is not social insurance.

Societal change was underway in Ireland before it joined the EU.

And as for cash. 10% toward road projects does not cut it as a bribe for me.

All these things would have happened anyway.

Globalisation suits a country like Ireland just as it does Iceland or other small independent successful countries around the world.

You don't have to be in the EU to be wealthy. This is the type of brainwashing we need to eliminate - it is a lie.

Soooo....no, no evidence.

Ireland was on the way to being a great nation in the 70s? You obviously are too young to remember the 80s.

Ireland was a poor nation. An under developed nation prior to eu membership.

Again I ask, where was the investment coming from? How were we building the infrastructure? Have you any, any evidence to support your own personal opinion on this issue?

touts wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. We're ****ed economically and the German bondholder vultures are already circling so in a year or so we won't be that appealing to Irish people never mind Romanians etc. The Reichstag will suck the likes of ourselves, Italy, Greece etc dry leaving Germany the only country attracting welfare tourists.

Where do you think your pension fund gets invested? Be careful when condemning the bond holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

mastive wrote: »
    Remember this when you Vote, you are paying for this kind of BS and the politicians want to raise your retirement age to pay for it.
    We are probably a few years away from a general election, so choose wisely in any local election that comes up, if you keep voting for the same political parties you are giving them the green light for this kind of policy

The problem is there isn't much choice, as most/all? reasonable parties seem to be for open-borders and benefits-for-all policies.

I don't count odd/tiny fringe groups like NPI, etc.

I am looking for a large, sensible reasonable political party, that has sensible migration policies.

FG should be this party, but it has drifted?

I would vote for a party that is close to my thinking on migration:

(1) discourage Irish emigration / encourage Irish emigrants to return
    (2) EU migration welcome, we are part of the EU
    (3) non-EU migration restricted to trades with severe labour shortages, and only after people on LT welfare here are helped into these jobs
    (4) bogus or illegal immigration severely restricted, AS claims to be processed in ports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There has been a huge influx of Roma Gypies into Ireland in the last number of years. There is an obvious reason why. They are also taking a great deal of housing away from the indigenous population who badly need it; once again being paid for by the State.

The irony of the original case being brought by this Roma family to the High Court is that we (tax payers) paid the money for the NGO and their legal teams to bring it about.
    We know of one ethnic group in Ireland that have a ludicrously high number of their community getting disability payments from the State.
    We also know of the close support of Pavee Point of Travelers and Roma Gypies, as if they are now one distinct group.
    So it should not surprise anyone that Roma Gypies are going to jump on this disability payment scheme.

This ruling will only result in an even greater influx of Roma Gypies into our already resource-stretched country.
    It is the height of madness and inviting economical suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

mastive wrote: »
    Maybe its time for us to vote for odd/tiny fringe groups, Politicians go whatever way the wind is blowing, Look at Boris in the UK, anti Brexit to Pro Brexit, he saw which way the wind was blowing and changed course.
    A solid 5-10% vote for the odd/tiny fringe groups would be enough to get a change of course from Irish main political parties.

I disagree a decent percentage voted for Peter Casey in the presidential election and we are told it’s just cranks voting for him.

A small percentage vote for the Greens and we are told that it’s showing climate change is top of most people’s agendas i.e we can raise taxes/create new ones under a green agenda.

Irish politicians care about one thing and that’s not the people that elect them it’s keeping their nose firmly in the trough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

To qualify for Disability Allowance (DA) you must:

Have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued, or may be expected to continue, for at least one year
    As a result of this disability be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    Be aged between 16 and 66. When you reach 66 years of age you no longer qualify for DA, but you are assessed for a State pension.
    Satisfy a means test
    Satisfy the habitual residence condition.c

Residence for longer than 3 months and less than 5 years **(5)**
    An EU/EEA citizen may reside in the State for a period that is longer than 3 months if he or she:

1. is in employment or in self-employment in the State
    2. has sufficient resources for himself or herself and his or her family members not to become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the State, and has comprehensive sickness insurance in respect of himself or herself and his or her family members
    3. is enrolled in an educational establishment accredited or financed by the State for the principal purpose of following a course of study here and has comprehensive sickness insurance in respect of himself or herself and his or her family members and has sufficient resources for himself or herself and his or her family members not to become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the State
    4. is a family member of a citizen satisfying one of the above conditions. More information on family members is at (4.4) below

She has been here longer then 3 months, she has a family member meeting one of the above conditions. The judge basically said its not right to say that she is a unreasonable burden on the state so she meets the guidelines. She is also means tested and is reliant on her daughter working to get the payments.

Also, is this forum some sort of yes box where you just parrot blanket statements at each other trying to drag down immigrants and the EU while ignoring the good its done us?

Ridiculous. The 350 weekly welfare payment is more than the average salary in several Eastern EU States. Even the 203 dole is more than one would get in most jobs there.

Freedom of movement should be the right to work, not to welfare. Or at least a much higher bar of 10 years of paying taxes should be applied.

I think if you look properly you will see that €350 is very often more than the average wage paid in Ireland which goes some way in showing what employers and politicians in Ireland think of Irish workers on the lower rung, often referred to as "essential workers" during the present period in time....

As for welfare, a straw man argument. Corporate taxation and millionaires and billionaires are costing western societies far more in lost taxation revenue.....

Still, your logic makes for good headlines nonetheless.........:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

When the UK leaves Europe and enacts its points based immigration system we will become a much more favorable destination. This ruling adds to that appeal. Once the anchor babies referendum is revisited and overturned Ireland becomes an easy target.

Those in low paid jobs looking for government funded public housing will see the waiting time grow exponentially as more and more join the list. It will be too late then. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Gatling wrote: »
    There's an illness benefits that needs you to have stamps to get ,
    Disability allowence is a means tested allowence you don't have to have worked to get or be physically disabled either just have an illness or injury a Dr believes will last longer than 12 Months and you can still work after you get it and keep a decent amount of the payment along with medical card and the tv license and free public transport

All of the relevant info is in the Statistical Report published annually by whatever the Department is callin itself in any given year.

Current one deals with 2018....

http://www.dsfa.ie/en/Pages/Annual-SWS-Statistical-Information-Report.aspx

Page 43 Section E has many statistics to cover all events...

Total number of Illness,Disability & Caring Social Assistance Benefit customers was 370,663

Total of the same classifications on Social Insurance,167,904

The Mathematicians amongst us can spot the potential for not passing the sums test immediately.

The Department,as ever with a gift for understatement introduces Section E as follows.....
    Expenditure on Illness, Disability, and Caring Benefits increased by 6.5% compared to 2017, totalling over €4.2 billion.

The number of recipients of Disability Allowance rose by 6,906, with 140,835 recipients in 2018. Expenditure was almost €1.6 billion in 2018, an increase
    of 8%.

I'm confident that The Romanian Dept of Social whatever also have a nicely bound Annual Publication detailing it's committment to the European model,however it's late and I can't read Romanian,so I'll await some suitably enthusiastic Economist's take on it...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement