Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you get on with your teachers at school?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Had a history teacher that gave me a love of history so deep that I still study for fun today. He organized trips to behind the scenes in museums, archaeological digs, introduced photography and model building, it was brilliant. Also an English teacher who made me love writing and an Irish teacher who I'd love to go back in time and have a pint with, one of the funniest people I've ever met. She gave nicknames to most of the class that are still used today, many many years later.

Also had a maths teacher who was a big dope. He'd snark at the quiet kids and smart kids and encourage bad behaviour from the class hard men. Looking back I think he wanted to be one of the lads much more than being a teacher. Overall I really liked school and the vast majority of teachers, but was a quiet nerd so that would have helped. There were absolute nutcases among them but they were nice enough nutcases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Rustyman101

Grand up to 4th class, 5th saw the emergence of DLS Christian brothers in 5th class.

6th was worse both men shouldn't have been left next nor near kids, 6th class yoke was an animal, beatings all round, we were naughty at best. I was dyslexic, couldn't spell, still can't !

He seemed to think physically assaulting us would make us sharper, it didn't.

My youngest is dyslexic the difference in his schooling is so different thankfully.

Went on to DLS secondary then, about two teachers I would have any gra for now.

The rest were a mix of oddballs, an alcho a physco and a few CBs in the mix, bailed at 15 hated the place.

Funnily enough went back to college and got an engineering degree, they didn't mind my spelling and handwriting..........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Left handed and started school at 3 and a half, because the school needed numbers. Had a metal clothes peg put on my lip for talking in junior infants. Shoved up to seniors after a few months in juniors as I was " too good." in first, aged 5, had my left hand tied to the back of the old fashioned desks and repeatedly slapped across the face until I picked up my pencil in my right hand, let's hear it for the " holy nuns." Went on to train as a teacher. At the interview, most people gushed about how they " loved children." I explained that I wanted to be a teacher that didn't think it was ok to intimidate and beat children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Could it have anything to do with the job they have????🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Rustyman101

Maybe years ago, know a good few teachers now, shock horror they actually like their jobs and the kids. Parents can be a different matter.

Christian brothers were stuck in their role and most seemed to hate it and the pupils, young people now will move if they don't like a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Never underestimate the usual things that make the world go round. I was put in a lower level maths class run by a new freshly qualified teacher, she was as they say well endowed and had a great figure. I started paying attention to this goddess and guess what, my maths ability was soon climbing. To the point, she says one day that I'm to be promoted to a higher level class. Big mistake, the latter was run by a dried up old hag putting in her last years before retirement. My maths ability dived, what had become a joy became an awful boring chore to be endured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Grand. They ignored me, and I ignored them.

A good few years ago ( 50's, 60's,70's etc ) the Christian Brothers visited schools in recruitment drives, and it was not uncommon for several 12, 13 or 14 year old children to join up at that time. So then later on, you had CBS teachers who had basically had an un natural adolescence, and this manifested itself in some of them becoming violent or worse with their pupils. Modern teachers are as different from them as chalk and cheese. But even so in the present times, its possible to find teachers who are not suited to the job either by temperament or ability. But Thank God, the old CBS teaching ways are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Met one of them the other day outside Aldi, I'd say he hadn't a clue who this big bald middle aged fella was saying hello to him.

• Advertisement

I was a quiet lad and got on with my work. Primary school was grand. Secondary school was home to a few headcases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

For the most part they were grand. I was a bit of a smartarse and lazy too but I was generally quiet and stayed out of trouble most of the time. I had my 20 year school reunion a few years ago and 11 of our old teachers turned up as well to see us! Most of them retired by then. It was great to see them and sadly two of them have passed on since. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I got on well with my teachers in primary school and the same with my secondary school teachers.

I even still see the odd one about one who was my History teacher in secondary school is still as fit as a fiddle and rides a bike. This some 20+ years since I finished school.

We have never had a school or class reunion and if it has happened I was never invited thankfully. Not something I would enjoy. I liked school not the students I went to school with do. I did have friends in most of school but something happened in 6th year that I decided I do not need any of them as friends. Maybe it was a wrong decision maybe not but that is what I done and I have never regretted it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorteen

National school was ok for me. I was fairly clever and found subjects easy. Teachers were nice to me with no bad memories. Secondary school was good and not so good. It was a Christian Brothers School and this was where I first saw children being subjected to corporal punishment. Leather straps, canes, and occasionally objects being thrown at pupils. Sometimes I could see that the student "deserved" the caning... but there were times it wasn't so obvious and seemed a bit arbitrary.

One day I was sitting at the front of the class and our geography teacher (who I quite liked) was giving us a spiel about how the west of Ireland was as advanced as the rest of Ireland because "...they have JCBs too".. and for no reason whatsoever he felt the need to give me a slap across the face that left me stunned, ears ringing, on the verge of tears.... I have never forgotten nor have I ever forgiven the bastard! It completely soured me about school...

In a nutshell....in the CBS school I went to, the walls were lined with pictures depicting historical scenes, but they all had one thing in common...in each of them the glass in the frames were cracked or broken from pupils being picked up and slammed against them. And to make matters worse, in one big long room, the classes were separated with sliding glass partitions, so each teacher could see clearly what the other teachers were doing. Pity compo culture was unheard of then...I was speaking to another past pupil recently, and as he said, "what could you learn in a place like that, when we were terrified out of our wits each day?"

Advertisement